• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheFanMan's 2012/2013 GLog, Harvest Time :)

Ello all, time to start 2012/2013 Glog, well actually its quite over due.
For this season i built my self a germination cupboard. and it looks something like this.

2012-07-26%252014.58.51-1.jpg
2012-07-26%252015.00.16-1.jpg
2012-07-26%252015.00.38-1.jpg
2012-07-26%252015.05.40-1.jpg

DSCN1502.JPG

as you can see its just an el cheapo flat pack cupboard that i bought 2nd hand, it then has 4 batten holders per shelf.
not all the batten holders have globes in them atm, i have left some empty to regulate the temperature.
As this is the first version of this cupboard it is pretty simple, the heat from the globes keeps the top 3 compartments about 16 degrees C above the room temperature in my shed (shed temp is same as outside), the daytime temp here for the last couple of months has been about 12 degrees C. so 16c + 12c = 28c. so for the daytime it usually sits about 28c and overnight it drops down to about (about 20c-24c). This temp range isn't perfect but its a lot better than the outside temperature at the moment. I might look at adding some sort of thermostat control to it in the future.

Iv been testing it out and it seems to work quite well, my germination percentages haven't been that fantastic but i think that i most likely due to other things.

So i started a few trays in my germ cupboard on the 22/6/12 and some more on 9-7-12, you can see them in the pics above (only took pics today)

potted up some of the bigger ones a week or so ago, and got them under some fluros on a timer.
DSCN1504.JPG

most of them like their new pots but there were a few that are looking pretty bad, i think i might have been a bit rough on the roots when i transplanted them. I currently have them siting out away from the lights and hoping they make a comeback.

Some of the younger plants are nearly big enough to get potted up, ill try to be more careful this time.

Nice setup there. I like the germination cupboard. Question: are there thermometers at the top and bottom? It seems possible that it might be warmer at the top because of natural convection. Have you noticed this?

The young plants look great.

Nice setup there. I like the germination cupboard. Question: are there thermometers at the top and bottom? It seems possible that it might be warmer at the top because of natural convection. Have you noticed this?

The young plants look great.
Yes i have got thermometers in all the shelves, iv got some of those big white plastic ones you can see in the pics, iv also later added some digital thermometers with a probe poked in the dirt.
You are correct about the natural convection making it hotter at the top, iv actually worked with this and removed some of the globes form certain shelves to control the convention heat, it actually worked quite well, the top 3 shelves are almost identical in heat, the bottom shelf is about 5 degrees c cooler though. not really much i can do about the bottom shelf though, well i suppose i could get a heat bulb.

Your plants look very healthy, what are the taller variety in the back row of the pepper shot? The tomato plants appear ready for their permenant home.

Your plants look very healthy, what are the taller variety in the back row of the pepper shot? The tomato plants appear ready for their permenant home.
The taller guys up the back row are all c. pubescens, it is a mix of Rocoto Peru Bitumi, Ultra Pube and Manzano Amarillo.
As for the tomatoes i still havn't worked out where to plant them, think i better work it out soon, they're all root bound.

The plants are looking good. I like the germination and growing stations setup. When they are ready will they be going into the garden bed in the picture behind the hardening off platform?

The plants are looking good. I like the germination and growing stations setup. When they are ready will they be going into the garden bed in the picture behind the hardening off platform?
thats the plan

some more pics

pubes in the shade
DSCN1556.JPG

guys from the shed getting hardened off
DSCN1558.JPG

DSCN1559.JPG

the guys that were in the shade box out in the sun
DSCN1560.JPG

first couple in teh ground
DSCN1561.JPG

DSCN1562.JPG

all thats left in the shed
DSCN1563.JPG

Holy smokes man, thats a ton of plants it looks like! Very organized and clean. Seems real legit to me! Good job man.

Looks like your stations are really getting the job done. Looking great. And agreed, lots of plants. Should equal lots of pods!

thanks guys,

been busy today digging over the next couple of garden beds and they are nearly ready for plants. iv only got 2 trays left under the lights and im seriously considering kicking them outside to the shade box so i can have my workbench back.

Cool looking germination cupboard & very Nice looking/healthy plants ... will be interesting seeing the growth when you plant out to beds :)

group shot from today, i merged the two different pallets of plants (auto focus not that good)
DSCN1574.JPG

DSCN1576.JPG

planted some more in the side garden
DSCN1577.JPG

got the garden by the driveway ready.
DSCN1578.JPG

put some Scotch Bonnets in
DSCN1579.JPG

and a Habanero De Arbol hiding in the flowers.
DSCN1580.JPG

it was quite hot today, so now that it has cooled down i went out and got the soaker hose going and took a quick pic. nothing spectacular but at least its progress.

oh if you look at the far left there are some that i potted up the other day.
DSCN1581.JPG

Back