• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheFanMan's 2012/2013 GLog, Harvest Time :)

Ello all, time to start 2012/2013 Glog, well actually its quite over due.
For this season i built my self a germination cupboard. and it looks something like this.

2012-07-26%252014.58.51-1.jpg
2012-07-26%252015.00.16-1.jpg
2012-07-26%252015.00.38-1.jpg
2012-07-26%252015.05.40-1.jpg

DSCN1502.JPG

as you can see its just an el cheapo flat pack cupboard that i bought 2nd hand, it then has 4 batten holders per shelf.
not all the batten holders have globes in them atm, i have left some empty to regulate the temperature.
As this is the first version of this cupboard it is pretty simple, the heat from the globes keeps the top 3 compartments about 16 degrees C above the room temperature in my shed (shed temp is same as outside), the daytime temp here for the last couple of months has been about 12 degrees C. so 16c + 12c = 28c. so for the daytime it usually sits about 28c and overnight it drops down to about (about 20c-24c). This temp range isn't perfect but its a lot better than the outside temperature at the moment. I might look at adding some sort of thermostat control to it in the future.

Iv been testing it out and it seems to work quite well, my germination percentages haven't been that fantastic but i think that i most likely due to other things.

So i started a few trays in my germ cupboard on the 22/6/12 and some more on 9-7-12, you can see them in the pics above (only took pics today)

potted up some of the bigger ones a week or so ago, and got them under some fluros on a timer.
DSCN1504.JPG

most of them like their new pots but there were a few that are looking pretty bad, i think i might have been a bit rough on the roots when i transplanted them. I currently have them siting out away from the lights and hoping they make a comeback.

Some of the younger plants are nearly big enough to get potted up, ill try to be more careful this time.

Bigger pubes... :rofl:

Seriously though, they look great. I'm having a very difficult time trying to grow a couple of Rocoto varieites, but I'll figure it out.

Love your backyard "office," too! :party:

time for some more pics, these are nice and current, i took them about 10 mins ago.

scotch bonnets next to driveway.
DSCN1583.JPG

habanero De Arbol hiding in the flowers has a friend, another Habanero De Arbol

DSCN1584.JPG

if you go back a couple of pages there is a pic of some really healthy tomatoes that really need to go in the ground, well that was a couple of months ago, this last week they finally went in the ground.
i managed to squeeze some peppers in the same garden in the empty spots.
i know the tomatoes don't look very good, they were a side project i kind of overlooked.
they should pick up in a few weeks.
DSCN1585.JPG

DSCN1587.JPG

DSCN1588.JPG

guys in pots
some of these have been potted up to a bigger size recently.
iv actually got a problem with these guys atm, there were a couple of different potting mixes used in these pots, one lot stays nice and moist, the other dries out very quickly.
so some of these plants have been getting under watered and some over watered.
DSCN1589.JPG

couple of scorpions
DSCN1590.JPG

some 7 pods
DSCN1591.JPG

my only watermelon the snails didn't get
DSCN1592.JPG

Nagas in side garden
DSCN1593.JPG

Looks like you have quite a bit of space for all those plants. Very nice. Since they're going in ground, will they make it to 4 or 5 feet in the time you have left in your season? At least in ground you shouldn't have to worry about different drying rates of the soil. You've got me thinking about starting a couple of tomato plants for my wife.

Jon, Nice germ cupboard you built, I like it … While I’ve never used one, I’m sure I would benefit from one, seems my planted seeds take much longer than others here because I don't control the temp. How long (hours/day) do you run the bulbs before the seed hatches? Plants look great after your hardening off and now in the 5 gal buckets and in ground … great success in 13 :)

Quite a selection of plants, once they get acclaimated in the the soil and spread their roots a bit they'll take off ...quick.

Enjoy your garden, you're at the point that I always look forward to...getting it all taking care of until the final plant is in its home. Then its time to relax.

Greg

You've got a lot of plants to deal with. They'll probably take off now they're in the ground.

im hoping so, they seem to like it once they get used to the change from pots.

Looks like you have quite a bit of space for all those plants. Very nice. Since they're going in ground, will they make it to 4 or 5 feet in the time you have left in your season? At least in ground you shouldn't have to worry about different drying rates of the soil. You've got me thinking about starting a couple of tomato plants for my wife.

honestly i don't know what the weather is going to do or how the plants will react, all i can really do is hope the weather agrees with the peppers.
should still have roughly 4 months till it starts to really get cold so i hope they gain some size in that time..

Jon, Nice germ cupboard you built, I like it … While I’ve never used one, I’m sure I would benefit from one, seems my planted seeds take much longer than others here because I don't control the temp. How long (hours/day) do you run the bulbs before the seed hatches? Plants look great after your hardening off and now in the 5 gal buckets and in ground … great success in 13 :)

i found with using 15w cfl globes (what i had heaps of, got em for free), 3 or 4 per shelf (to adjust for the heat rising) that if i left it on 24hrs during winter it would sit at a pretty constant 28C. as the weather started heating up i added a temp controller that turns on at 27.9C and off at 29C, this is more to attempt to prevent cooking them on hot days. now it has the temp controller im considering changing a couple of the clf bulbs out for heat bulbs, should give a bit more heat and keep the temp more consistent or really cold days.

Quite a selection of plants, once they get acclaimated in the the soil and spread their roots a bit they'll take off ...quick.

Enjoy your garden, you're at the point that I always look forward to...getting it all taking care of until the final plant is in its home. Then its time to relax.

Greg

some of the plants that have been in the dirt for a week or so look like they have got used to their new home and are finally starting to enjoy it.

Your garden and plants look fantastic. I cant wait to see your babies grow to have some serious pods on them. Following!

potted up a couple more today, not really anything exciting. i also had a good look at the plants and there is little buds all over the the place, no idea if any of them will set as it has been pretty warm lately.
also i haven't watered the yellowing guys for the last few days (since i worked out i was over watering them). i poped one out of its pot today and it was still moist underneath so im pretty sure i was watering them too much.

time for some more pics.

Scotch bonnets next to driveway
P1000378.JPG

P1000379.JPG

mostly Californian Wounder and Aji Chinchi amarillo
P1000377.JPG

tomatoes with peppers in front.
P1000390.JPG

Nagas in side garden
P1000391.JPG

Back Garden
P1000392.JPG

P1000393.JPG
P1000394.JPG

P1000395.JPG

watermellon
P1000398.JPG

and if i can get a bump i have some more

thanks for the bump moo, time for more pics :party:

pubes covered in flowers
P1000399.JPG

potted guys moved to a new area
P1000400.JPG

overwintered bishops crown
P1000401.JPG

Habanero De Arbol hiding with the flowers.
P1000402.JPG

Back