• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

Put the seeds in the dirt today. Trying to get a total of about 30 plants across 9 types. Ordered all my seeds from pepperjoe.com this year. Assuming some will die.

Here's the list:
Hot Banana
Long Red Slim
Charleston Hot
Turkish Cayenne
Hot Caribbean
Atomic Starfish
Tabago Seasoning
Giant Jolokia
Scotch Bonnet

Here's where they will live (hopefully) over the next few months:
IMG_2842_s.jpg
IMG_2843_s.jpg

The larger plants on the right are my overwintered Jolokias. Grow On!

Hot Caribbeans are starting to break dirt today, the only ones left now are the Turkish Cayenne, Giant Jolokia and the chocolate habs. I just planted the chocolate habs a day or two ago though so I don't expect any action yet...

Some updated pics...everything has sprouted except for the chocolate habs and the giant jolokias.

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

All the sprouts under 24/7 lights and cool temps. Added a fan to toughen em' up.

About a month and half in and things are going well. Very good germ rate and not a sprout lost so far. I might actually have some peppers before October this year!

overall
IMG_2892.jpg

overall
IMG_2893.jpg

long reds and charleston hots
IMG_2895.jpg

hot bananas, atomic starfish and turkish cayenne
IMG_2896.jpg

Thats some impressive growth for just 6 weeks. Mine are doing good also but not like yours, mine would probably be better if I quit messing with them, ignore them for a week and just let them be happy. LOL

Are you fertilizing yet? What did you sow those in, miracle grow potting mix?

Matt50680 said:
Are you fertilizing yet? What did you sow those in, miracle grow potting mix?

No fertilizing yet, just using tap water every other day or so. I used miracle grow potting mix and just stuck the seeds down a 1/2 inch or so in the solo cups. Temps in my basement are 64 - 68 and i keep the lights about 1" off the top of the plants. Run a fan once a day or so too. Growth has been nice and dense so far. Hope it stays that way as I still have awhile before anything moves outside.

Time for an update. Thing are moving along nicely.

Long red slim (left) and a few of the charlestons:
IMG_2928.jpg

More atomic and long red's
IMG_2929.jpg

Atomics, hot banana and turkish cayenne
IMG_2930.jpg

Oranage hab
IMG_2931.jpg

continued...

group shot of the front row
IMG_2933.jpg

Hot Caribbean and Scotch Bonnet
IMG_2935.jpg

Hot Caribbean and Scotch Bonnet + some others in the background
IMG_2936.jpg

and my recently re-cut back overwintered Jolokia's
IMG_2937.jpg

Really good luck so far this year. I've cut back to 32 plants and they all look healthy. Probably planted a little too early this year but will buy another light and make room if needed. Better than last year when I started a month or two too late.

Quick question...some of them are starting to flower already. Do you guys ever let flowering start indoors or do you always pinch until you move them out?

Grow on.

Plants look great. I always pinch off blossoms as well. Best to let the plant devote itself to making a good root and leaf system first. Plenty of time to set flowers outside. (at least here, maybe different in colder climates)

jacob

jjs7741 said:
Plenty of time to set flowers outside. (at least here, maybe different in colder climates)

Thanks for the comments & tips. I had been pinching them too but just started thinking...I've got two months left here (chicago area) before I can put them outside. If I let a few flower the last 3 or 4 weeks I wonder if that would be worth it terms of the head start on harvesting some peppers? I had to throw away so many peppers last year because I started late so I'm just trying to come up with lots of ways to make sure that doesn't happen again:-)

You could try it on a plant or 2 and see if it works for you, but I don't think the solo cups will hold enough root mass to carry a reproductive plant. The stress will probably cause the plant to drop the flower or pod anyway. It could stunt the plant a bit as well. If it is flowering now, it will not be long after they go outside before they flower again, and more nodes=more flowers. But like I said, if you have extras, experiment and see what works for you.

jacob

Ciao PGM-

How fun, this is like a preview of things to come for the rest of us. :) You did really start early though. Do you have a contingency if the plants outgrow the cups before it's time to plant out? I can't see them thriving as well once they get all rootbound.

Sorellina said:
Ciao PGM-

How fun, this is like a preview of things to come for the rest of us. :) You did really start early though. Do you have a contingency if the plants outgrow the cups before it's time to plant out? I can't see them thriving as well once they get all rootbound.

Yea I can add an extra light (4 bulb 4 foot T5) and extend the boards on the table a bit, I should have plenty of room. I have all sorts of extra pots laying around so I'm good there. May have to buy a few but not many. My neighbor has a bunch too that I may be able to borrow depending on how his grow is going. Sorellina, when do you start your plants? I'm in Toronto a lot and have noticed Toronto/Chicago have very similar weather patterns.

That long red on the far left is the first one I potted up from the solo cup. It was completely root bound. I swear it's growing 1/4 inch day!

Jacob I think that's what I'm going to do...starting in late March / early April I'll just start letting one do it's thing in terms of flowering and see what happens. I have plenty of extras this year (I had 9 or 10 total plants last year...30 something this year) so if one under produces or even dies I'm still set with plenty of excess heat.

ThePepperGrowingMan said:
No fertilizing yet, just using tap water every other day or so. I used miracle grow potting mix.

I used the same soil, though I have several large jugs of water sitting around and I add a few drops potassium permanganate each, and sprinkle a pinch of epsom salt in each so I don't have to worry about flushing magnesium out with watering.

Back