• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

Put the seeds in the dirt today. Trying to get a total of about 30 plants across 9 types. Ordered all my seeds from pepperjoe.com this year. Assuming some will die.

Here's the list:
Hot Banana
Long Red Slim
Charleston Hot
Turkish Cayenne
Hot Caribbean
Atomic Starfish
Tabago Seasoning
Giant Jolokia
Scotch Bonnet

Here's where they will live (hopefully) over the next few months:
IMG_2842_s.jpg
IMG_2843_s.jpg

The larger plants on the right are my overwintered Jolokias. Grow On!

RichardK said:
I used the same soil, though I have several large jugs of water sitting around and I add a few drops potassium permanganate each, and sprinkle a pinch of epsom salt in each so I don't have to worry about flushing magnesium out with watering.

That's a good idea, think I'll go that route too.

Ciao PGM-

Duane, my husband, is the pepper-grower. He starts his Chinenses and other slow-growers on or about 20 January. He just sowed a flat of mostly annums last weekend.

I might start a little later next season but not by much. Think after last season I will always error on the side of too early instead of too late. Adding to some reflectors to one of the the 4 foot fixtures today. Need to help focus the light on the plats that are getting a bit tall.

Anyone ever cut back before moving out? I'm wondering with some of mine this year that are going to get pretty big if cutting them back before I moved them out would hurt anything.

Changed my setup and added the new light. Was going to need more space before I moved them out so may as well get it setup now. I actually have extra space now...that can't last...

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

some cuttings from my overwintered Jolokia's
IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Potted up a bunch today (16 total now) and put the tallest ones under the new T5.

Still have a light that I'm not even using. Have to start some more seeds...
IMG_2946.jpg

16 potted up under the new light
IMG_2949.jpg

speaking of the new light, man, that thing is bright!
IMG_2951.jpg

Hehe- looks to me like you've got the starts licked! They'll start eating you out of house and home any day now at the rate they're growing.

Curious on your cloning setup-
  • what sort of nutrient solution are you using?
  • What is the liquid level- are you at the bottom of the pot, soaking the pot, below the pot?
  • Are you misting from the top, or just letting them seek moisture from below?
  • What, if any, cloning solution/gel are you using?

I've been spectacularly successful at killing everything I've tried to clone :(

Hi Hinky...this is my first ever attempt at cloning in one of these buckets. No roots showing yet so it may become my first failed cloning attempt.

Nutrient solution is "Davids Grow", base and grow. It came with thew kit.

I poured 2 gallons of water in the bucket. It uses a little pump/sprayer to constantly mist the bottom of the pots. The bucket itself if probably less than a 1/4 full.

No top misting.

No cloning solution or gel.

I'm sure I'm not doing this the best way...I just used what came in the kit for the first run. Depending on what happens this time I may change things up accordingly. Like you, I've killed every damn thing I've attempted to clone in the past.

Things have been moving along. All my clones died but my plants from seed are doing pretty good. I've been topping everything under the T5 for a few weeks now. Pinching more flowers than I can count.

Turkish Cayenne
IMG_2963.jpg

Hot Banana, Long Red Slim, Atomic Starfish
IMG_2964.jpg

Group shot under the T5 - Hot Banana, Long Red Slim, Charleston Hot, Turkish Cayenne, Hot Caribbean ,Atomic Starfish
IMG_2965.jpg

Group shot under all 3 lights - Hot Banana, Long Red Slim, Charleston Hot, Turkish Cayenne, Hot Caribbean, Atomic Starfish, Tabago Seasoning, Giant Jolokia, Scotch Bonnet, Orange Hab, Chocolate Hab. The overwintered bhut jolokias are on the far right.
IMG_2966.jpg

Plants are looking great! How much longer for plant out? The weather here these last few days make me want to get them out there now, but temps will be in the 30's at night this weekend. Only 4 more weeks though.

jacob

I will probably put them out last week of April / first week of May depending on the weather. We can get late freezes here and most of the plants will be going ion the ground so I can't move them back in the garage if it gets too cold. Been really happy with the head start this year and can't wait to get these outside and producing!

Your plants are looking marvelous TPGM! The stems in the group shot with the T5 look like they belong on a plant three times the size. You're obviously doing things right. Great work.

patrick said:
Your plants are looking marvelous TPGM! The stems in the group shot with the T5 look like they belong on a plant three times the size. You're obviously doing things right. Great work.

I've topped most under the T5 3 or 4 times at point, had I let them grow I bet they would be 1 1/2 times the height they are. So I guess those stems really do belong on a plant that's 3X the size:-) I'm a hack gardener, that light is by far the most expensive thing I have ever bought for gardening. All my soil is miracle grow or whatever I have laying around, germinated all my seeds in solo cups with no heat besides from the lights, (and it's about 65 in my basement) water with tap water and have not added any ferts yet at all. The plants thrive despite me!

Silver_Surfer said:
Plants are coming along nicely. Those T5's are making the Bhuts really jump. I think the T5s offer the most bang for the buck.

I agree. Next the T5 my normal florescents look like they are off. Every plant I've moved under the T5 has grown 3X faster than under the normal florescents. I think next year I'm going to get another 4 foot 4 bulb T5 and skip the normal florecents. The florecents work fine but the T5 seems to take plant growth to a whole new level.

For anyone else using miracle grow ( i know it sucks) or fertilized soil how long do you typically wait or what signs do you look for before you start adding fertilizer? I don't want to over fert.

an atomic starfish (which im fairly certain is just a creative pepper joe name for Brazilian starfish. these things grow like weeds.

IMG_3144.jpg

same plant, close up of ripening pepper

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

I built three 10x3.5 raised gardens this year. group shot

IMG_3141.jpg

garden 1
IMG_3138.jpg

garden 2
IMG_3139.jpg

garden3
IMG_3140.jpg

garden 1 has some tomatoes, green beans and peppers. gardens 2 & 3 are peppers only

here are some more charlestons (really like this pepper)<br>&nbsp;
IMG_3124.jpg
<br>&nbsp;
IMG_3122.jpg
<br><br>&nbsp;tabago seasoning
<br>
IMG_3123.jpg
<br><br>&nbsp;I didn't get a ripe pepper until late July last year (northern illinois and all...) but this year have already fired up the dehydrator to keep up with the harvests. Weather in June was awesome for pepper growing and looks like that will continue into July.:woohoo:

Back