Thinking about doing a farmers market stand

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about starting a farmers market stand in my area and wondering what i'll need to do and a ballpark of how much it's going to cost me.

The VA pickle bill is now in effect and I could sell acidified sauces and powders without certification as long as the labeling is correct. I plan on selling peppers from jalapenos to superhots, tomatoes, possibly some herbs as well, and am curious to know what comes along with it. People in this area aren't very used to spicy foods and I would like to know how I could protect myself in case they get into the wrong or unaccustomed hands, or if there's some loophole I could use to exempt myself from anything that occurs after our transaction is complete.

I grow as a hobby but i'm going to have a plethora of peppers this year and it would be nice to possibly earn some extra dough.

Thanks in advance!
James

Let me know what you find out.  I can tell you at my tiny yard sale/ farm stand Tomatoes sold great but superhots were avoided like the plague.  People were interested in jalapenos, though (although I didn't have any).  I bet for superhots Craig's list will be a better option unless you can get the local chiliheads attention.  I'm in VA if you get something going and you're close enough, maybe I'll stop by.

Samples are always a good way to 'warn' the public of what you have to sell. In reading the Bill, you might think about selling powders, hot jams/jellies, powders made with dried garlic and other spices. At the annual chili cook off, we always have cream cheese and crackers available with the hot jams for them to sampe, and get lots of people interested in purchasing the jams.

All these take a lot of time and effort on your part. Just introducing hot pepper products to the public may be the best part of your summer. Don't get discouraged if your buyers aren't always interested. Next year they may be back in droves to try something new.

Good luck in this new endeavor.

Pepperhead said:
Let me know what you find out.  I can tell you at my tiny yard sale/ farm stand Tomatoes sold great but superhots were avoided like the plague.  People were interested in jalapenos, though (although I didn't have any).  I bet for superhots Craig's list will be a better option unless you can get the local chiliheads attention.  I'm in VA if you get something going and you're close enough, maybe I'll stop by.
i absolutly agree there are a lot of people on craigslist looking to buy hot peppers to show thier freinds i sold my extra plants and left a lot of people disappionted when i ran out .people who like hot stuff are kinda hard to find in the bunch if you do put up a stand make sure you put up a ad on craiglist advertising that you will be selling at the farmers market and location ect. wish the best of luck

You should be able to get started for under $300 in most places. Some farmer's markets require a pop up tent, usually 10'x10', those are around $100 new. You will need a portable table or two, $40 each. You will also want some signage, I think our new signage (banner and truck magnet) cost under $100. I recommend getting a thick, durable table cloth for at least the table that will be in front. Another good thing to have is a whiteboard or a chalkboard that you can write prices on. I sometimes change my prices throughout the day, I like to sell out and leave early. Also get something to put your products in! Many people skip the presentation part of the marketing. Adding just a bit of class to your presentation can really make a big difference.

As for superhots, not many people will know what they are, or want them. I usually sell some of my powders and dried pods but I rarely take more than a pound of supers with me, and usually they come right back home with me. I also no longer worry about people burning their faces off. If someone comes up and recognizes superhots, then they know what they are in for. Just make sure that you speak to everyone that shows interest in them and let them know what they are looking at. Old ladies will always walk up and say "Oh, sweet peppers". When you say they are hot, they put them right down in disgust!

You can also do a liability waiver. I tried it a few times before I realized people willing to buy supers weren't concerned with their safety. If you want to use a waiver let me know, I can send you mine to look at and modify to your liking.

Good luck with it, the farmers market is a lot of fun and yes, you can make a little money there.

Yeah I used to live in RVA for a number of years and had some good luck selling on craigslist. both plants and pods.. I would try doing some pepper jelly and buffer the hot stuff with some fruit.
I did 7 pot with cherries and it worked out very well. Tell them to eat the jelly on bagles and cream cheese.. you will get em hooked for sure.

First year at a farmers market for me too.  Haven't set up yet since I'm waiting on peppers.  We'll be selling other vegetables but I'm focusing on peppers and will be spreading the word via craigslist since I don't expect the average customer to be shopping for douglahs or morugas but I'm hoping word will get around.  I know I'm not the only idiot in this city since I see people lining up to eat stupid hot sauces and extracts every year at the Fiery Foods Show so with a little luck some will come down to burn their faces off.  We might try to hold a chili eating contest in the fall and I'm considering a "wall of fame" for people willing to let me photograph them while sampling my peppers just for fun.

Our canopy is a cheap Big Lots deal (Harbor Freight sells them too) that was $60.  We're borrowing tables and my wife works at a print shop and the owner is behind us and donating our printed stuff (business cards, banners, tshirts, information cards for various peppers etc.) so that's about $150 we don't have to spend.  The market itself charged us $60 for the season.  So we're only spending $120 but I'd say the $300 dollar estimate mentioned by TGPS is pretty accurate but I'm sure it can be done for less if you're resourceful/thrifty. 

Not really looking to make money and will be surprised to recoup enough to cover our expenses. This is mostly an excuse for me to get out of the house and feed my sadistic desires to watch people cry over a little pepper. :hell:

Also, to the OP, I'm jealous of your pickle bill.  I make a mean spicy dill pickle but can't sell them here yet without a commercial kitchen, inspections, and tons of paper work. 

Thanks for your insight everyone! It's very helpful... I got a little discouraged with how much startup costs would be, but this is something that makes me seriously happy so i'm going to try and pursue it.

I'll let you all know how it goes... I have to get the farmers market people to come check out my gardens first. I have plenty of time and it's more of a hobby that i'd like to share with people.

I'm hoping that the variety of flavors and colors will attract an otherwise unknowing group of people that like spicy food in general. When I found out about all the different varieties, it was like being a kid in a candy store for the first time. I'm hoping to share that experience with others. I would be the only person at the market with anything hotter than Anaheim chilies. 

I've already got the tent, tables, easel, and have use of a plotter to make signage. I just have to work on how to display things and perfect my sauce. I did some batches of powders last year that turned out GREAT, overwintered the plants, and stocked up on cherry, apple, and hickory wood... the dehydrator is all set up and waiting for the first harvest!

If all goes according to plan, I should hopefully be up and running by mid august... my girlfriend would be good at explaining the whole moderation factor for powders; she loves the flavor if it's sprinkled on just right. Otherwise it's like watching a cartoon where she turns red and has steam blowing out her ears.

Yes, i'm amazed it passed. I got unbelievably excited when I ran across biscgolf's post about it; I had no idea it was even up for passage.

howardsnm1: that's a great idea! being lactose intolerant and a little sadistic heat wise, it actually slipped my mind that normal people might need something to cool the burn. I actually did a little experimenting last year and found that one of my favorite things is mincing peppers, then mixing them into cream cheese and letting it sit for a day or two before spreading onto bagels. it cuts the heat, and makes the flavors crisp and pronounced. I seldom do that now since I found out i'm lactose intolerant.

TGPS that would be awesome to modify the waiver, sounds strange but I think that may be a selling point in itself. The market is located in an upscale area with lots of young business professionals and foodies, so it may spark some curiosity and signal that eating them is an experience most people are unaccustomed to.

I think my biggest cost is going to be registering a DBA name. James Bilowus doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Back