• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Thought I'd share some pics

Pffft.

That's kitschy like Spam instead of a pork shoulder. Go for it though.

Haha I've been pleasantly suprised by some weird tries in the past (marinating ham in cherry coke for example). But I'm sure I can tell the difference if it tastes good or bad.. got plenty of reference material. No pain no gain.. sometimes we need to upcycle pork to pigmeat and repeat the cycle. They don't mind, they are quite pleased with being cannibals.

The end result is what matters so I hear ya.

I just try to stay away from all the fake foodstuffs. Dried sour cherries into powder sounded great.

Yep, me too normally. However people keep recommending the jello recipe on Dutch forums (from US recipes). It might just be the inexperience dripping of to the keyboard, as people here even love the pre-cooked ribs (ribs.. real ribs, like the bone sticks with some meat residue) normally. If there's something I hate it's precooked or processed meat products.

If you ever have the chance to get freeze dried sour cherries (or have someone freeze dry them), GO for it! It's a great rub ingredient. Only for pork though, it really doesn't work with poultry or briskets. Love it on ham, pulled (?) pork (you guys call the overcooked, supersoft, shredded pork like that right?) and ribs. Sweet cherries will work, but somehow they have less cherry taste after cooking. It just fades away to a distant cherry hint with some sweetness. The sour cherries still taste like cherry (just not sour anymore due to the Sugar and spices).

When making pulled pork, pour back the drip grease a few times and add just one or two table spoons of it to the shredded meat to remoisten it a bit more..

Look what's going out in the mail today!  

IMG_3778.JPG

:razz: @ Scovie~~~ 
:rofl:

Great! Please send me the payment details and I'll get it to you asap.

Lets heat up the grill and roast some scovillicious jelly slabs : -)

Can I interest you in some balkan/hungarian seeds to cover for the effort?

Pfeffer said:
Great! Please send me the payment details and I'll get it to you asap. 
No Worries!  this is just too much fun to miss~  :lol:

Lets heat up the grill and roast some scovillicious jelly slabs : -)

:rofl:

Can I interest you in some balkan/hungarian seeds to cover for the effort?

Some unique seeds not available in the US would be fun, but only if it's not too $$ to mail.  Thanks! 

J-e-l-l-o? :)

Yep : -) indeed, allthough savaged by customs (cut one bag open) it's still good. I guess they thought you were trafficking cherry flavoured coke are something. They repacked i't nicely, so no damage done. Hope the weather clears up enough to get the smoker going (it's also windy, which doesn't help with temp control..). Thanks for sending it over!

Can you please send me your PayPal/address? I'll cover for the postage and send you some seeds.

Finally getting back to this post.  Right after your last post I had to deal with a family thing out of town and forgot to check back-

That's funny about a packet being cut open.  I should of laced it with capsaicin!  :lol:   But I'm glad you got it in a timely manner.  I have a couple other Pure Evil orders that are about 7 weeks out and still not delivered. 

Have you used the Jell-O yet?

Wow reaper reefer and cherry flavored jello coke. Lol crazy!
Looking forward to these ribs pfeffer. This rub is new to me.
CHEERS

Haha, yep.. Love my Weber to smoke the smaller pieces of meat and for direct grilling. The ham was started at 5:45 (6:30 when it was actually prepped and ready) and came of around 17:40. It was served with home made Stroganoff-, Champignon- (mushroom) and green pepper (not chili but normal pepper) sauce. It was still very juicy, but not salty (Coburger should be salty) as I watered down the brine as I was afraid to oversalt it.   

Back