smokers THP Illuminati doubt Ivy League's Ultimate Smoker

smokemaster said:
Yup,50 lbs. of cold smoked meat takes 30 hrs. +/- in my barrel smoker.
I rub down my chunks and let sit for 3 days + depending on fat content.

Bellies I take 5-7 days to cure,Fatty meats take 3 + days.
I do birds 24 hrs. to 36 I'd guess most times.
Salt content etc. plays a role too.

I don't care about the stuff on TV.
From what I see on TV. , comp guys don't do much real smoking these days.

I've met too many guys who smoke circles around the comp. guys.

I guess your idea of smoking stuff is different than mine.

But I have no idea if you ever smoked anything - start with hard wood in a pit,once it's coals,toss it in the fire box.

Don't forget to properly get your meat ready first.

I smoke whole briskets , not a few lbs. at a time.

I don't care about the comp. guys.

Most stuff I saw or tasted at comps. wasn't all that great compaired to a lot of Mom and Pop eateries.
Couldn't compaire to a LOT of hole in the wall eats almost anywhere.

But you can eat what you like best.

What the TV shows tell you is the best stuff.
Hot and fast just doesn't cut it for my tastes.

Gotta love the wood fired ovens a lot of those guys use these days...set it and forget it....
Maybe you never ate real slow and low stuff.
Nothing like most comp. stuff a lot/most of times.

Kruez doesn't say anything on their site about prep or smoking time that I could see.
Blacks says average  14hr. smoke.No prep hours  listed that I saw.

Blacks use hotter temps. than I do.They say 300 degrees 
Didn't see Kreuz's temps.

I never said that hot smoking didn't taste OK.
I just prefere slow and low.200-250 degrees max.
Along with what I consider proper prep.

Pics or it didnt happen.

smokemaster said:
Huh?

So that's a long way of saying you like your smoker OFF? ...

LOL.

Sirex makes even less sense to me.
:)

Funny, that's what most people say about me:)

Someone just said butt plug so I ...
How many Harvard students does it take to smoke some meat?

LOL, exactly ...

58bd08c3ba611dde929db3f851748e68.jpg

" Tested by countless computer simulations of virtual brisket smoking, "

nothing better than some good virtual brisket..  

I will take on the OFF label for some things,  but there is also that thin line where  you have to be careful after you master something, that it doesn't master you.     A closed mind that won't let in enough O  doesn't work well, just like a smoker that is damped down too far. 

My bro in law put me onto some ribs that go against everything  I ever learned about low and slow but as long as you like lemon flavour , they would blow your mind.    perfect bite /pull tender like good slow cooked ribs but in 45 mins. 

DID YOU FOLKS KNOW... you can actually smoke meat without combustion. or something like that.

that pink color is not from smoke... its from carbon monoxide reacting with something inside the meat. the act of smoking actually introduces measurable amounts of carcinogens to the meat. there was some discussion way back about alternative ways to smoke meat, but i dont think it ever went anywhere or even produced reasonably tasting meat.

queequeg152 said:
DID YOU FOLKS KNOW... you can actually smoke meat without combustion. or something like that.

that pink color is not from smoke... its from carbon monoxide reacting with something inside the meat. the act of smoking actually introduces measurable amounts of carcinogens to the meat. there was some discussion way back about alternative ways to smoke meat, but i dont think it ever went anywhere or even produced reasonably tasting meat.
I am not sure I can follow or believe that...it is almost impossible to get a smoke ring in an electric smoker without knowing the trick to do so....I can pile 6+ hours of straight smoke and NEVER get a smoke ring unless I want to do some magic. 

actual cooking is bullshit hard. problem is repeatability in my experiance. you have to actually be there watching and paying attention to get the same results twice.

food instruments and equipment is crude as well. ive yet to see a legit overhead stirrer the likes off which are common in a laboratory;  for shit like soups and salsas. this would make every thing 10000% better imo.

im more of a rehydrate and or add heat type of person.

Sushi tuna is bright red from a carbon monoxide treatment... read up on smoke ring myths... it's even on your fave site amazing ribs JHP lol.

cooking with fire  and or burning wood products is easier because its interesting and demands attention.... flames erupt here and there, and liquids spurt out and all this primal satisfying shit...

you are less likely to walk away and do other things... leading to better results in my experience.

And why would an electric smoker have carbon monoxode lol.

it is  usually nitrogen dioxide that  sets the myoglobin colour in a smoker.   similar to the way adding nitrates will set it in cured meat.    carbon monoxide does the same thing too though.   I think they use both in those special gas filled sealed meat trays these days to keep meat looking red at the store.   weird fact but most ppl who die of carbon monoxide poisoning have a weird pink red tinge to their skin

queequeg152 said:
actual cooking is bullshit hard. problem is repeatability in my experiance. you have to actually be there watching and paying attention to get the same results twice.

food instruments and equipment is crude as well. ive yet to see a legit overhead stirrer the likes off which are common in a laboratory;  for shit like soups and salsas. this would make every thing 10000% better imo.

im more of a rehydrate and or add heat type of person.

you get it and you don't even know it ...

see sous vide ... see cinder (Ashen gets it) ...

like all things, the devil's in the details, and relentless QA processes ...

adding convection or additional thermal mass to any oven ...

there are temperatures where meat is the mostly the same at them from steak to steak ...

want Medium? ... it's 134F ...

want Rare? ... 131F ...

Medium Well is 136F ...

Well is 138F ...

and there's no fucking magic happening between them, it's a gradient ...

if you don't really use the science, nothing is real, it's a collection of passed down rules ...

the science works ... every time ... which is why it's science ...

the problem is that people who don't grok science, can't leverage it ... their application of science sucks, and so they think it sucks ...

BOOM.

Ashen said:
it is  usually nitrogen dioxide that  sets the myoglobin colour in a smoker.   similar to the way adding nitrates will set it in cured meat.    carbon monoxide does the same thing too though.   I think they use both in those special gas filled sealed meat trays these days to keep meat looking red at the store.   weird fact but most ppl who die of carbon monoxide poisoning have a weird pink red tinge to their skin

thats so true, about the carbon monoxide poisoning.  back in the late 19th... they were using loads of "illuminating gas" which was basically pyrolized coal tar and nasty shit like that.... illuminating gas was like 50% by weight carbon monoxide. The redness was useful for determining and differentiating from malicious poisonings... arsenic etc.

i had not put the two together untill now... not that i think lots about smoking meats in the first place.

Back