• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Time to Turn it all Around ... It begins in Earnest... Trials and Tribulations of Trippa's Season 20

Well the least said about the 2013-2014 season from my point of view the better.  Broad Mites took a heavy toll and things just never got a start or a roll on .... I was at fault in some part by trying to grow too many plants in too small pots (a lesson I was yet to heed after 2-3 seasons), I tried to cheap on amendments just using a commercial potting mix ... never again ... and I didn't love them enough ... (I don't think I ever do although my wife disagrees ;)

I had some great varieties started but most I never got a single pod from, due to being in a constant flux of recovery and attack from Broad mites ... I will be holding onto a select few plants and putting them on my other balcony where I had success transplanting some other plants midway through last season ... less direct light and more weather and terracotta pots and a slightly different soil mix all added up to some semblance of harvest and my best ever harvest from my Pimenta De Neyde (confirming my thoughts that it (my particular plant) does not like the heat and full sun I had been affording it in the past 2 seasons.

However my main balcony will be wiped clean from this season (including being cleaned down to get rid of the pain in the ass mites and aphids) all pots removed and existing trays cleaned with bleach in the bathroom.

No more plastic pots will be used ... I have already purchased 10 x 10 gallon (37.85 litre) Fabric pots (got them for less then I could make them in the end) brand new with handles for shifting a little if needed although sounds like back trouble if I do it too much :)
This will give the root zones an additional 27.85 litres of space compared with last season and keep the roots cooler and give the benefit of air pruning ... an all round win!!

I will also be using a 25% Mushroom Compost, 25% Perlite, 25% Coir, and 15% Organic Potting mix and 5-7% Sheep Manure/Worm Castings/Rock Dust/ and the remainder a mulch yet to be determined (possibly pine bark or hardwood chips) ... But please post comments on what you think might be a good soil mix if you see some glaring omissions from my recipe.

I will also be companion planting with a couple of basil plants per plant along with a petunia or geranium added to the mix to hopefully boost some beneficial's in the garden and give the chillis some respite from the pest hordes.

I already have some plants started/stunted from late last season that I have been trying to hold off from going out to get infested before I can get rid of the mites and also have a bunch of varieties that I have in the heated propagator germinating at the moment (have been down 8 days and have 2 varieties hooked , Chocolate Habanero and Yellow Bhut x Primo f3 (seeds saved from my sole pod last season from Jungle Rains Yellow Bhut x Primo f2 seed)

I will disclose a full list of 10 plants I will be growing in the fabric pots (seriously no more) and the few that will go to the other balcony either because I need them for seed saving or because they are plants I would like to grow again but don't want to commit to starting again.

I also have a bunch of seeds started with the view to gifting them to a couple of people.

I am looking forward to the steep challenge this season ... I just want some kick ass plants and pods ... I can't promise that but I will try ... 

Just read over my 2013-2014 glog and the first few pages started much the same as this one ... grandiose Ideas ... new starts... changes ... blah blah blah ... talk is cheap it would seem :D ... but the difference is this season I already have part of the set up purchased and a disaster behind me to spur me to change everything .... haha ... check out post #370 on last seasons glog ... this year is the year ... 

PIC 1 said:
Best of luck with the new season.........Using the original seed stock is a good choice, you know what your getting...no surprises.
Original strains are becoming desirable again............wish I had my sheet from the 70's
Cheers Greg!
Yeah will be nice going in with my eyes wide open on most varieties ... most of them also performed well in my first full season posting on this forum in terms of production and vigour hence some of the choices.
Yeah I missed the yellow 7 and the bhuts last season ... I am thinking the great flavour and shape of the scotch bonnet tfm along with good production is a winner may have been an over sight leaving it out ... never say never though ;). What would your list from the 70s have looked like Greg? Must have been some scotch bonnets and habeneros on the list??
Devv said:
Good luck and knock 'em dead this season!
Cheers Devv!! Yeah fingers crossed I have made some good initial choices to build a good foundation... and if you mean the mites and aphids ... consider them toast !! ;) :D

So the day has been filled somewhat wondering about where I can fit a Scotch Bonnet TFM ... both in my germination chamber and my garden ... maybe one of the annuums will need to make way??

Good luck with the coming season Trippa.

Trippa said:
So the day has been filled somewhat wondering about where I can fit a Scotch Bonnet TFM ... both in my germination chamber and my garden ... maybe one of the annuums will need to make way??

Hahaha this is what I keep doing... "Just one more type..."

Shurbryn said:
Good luck with the coming season Trippa.

Hahaha this is what I keep doing... "Just one more type..."
Cheers Bro. Yeah I hope it is a lucky season ... I already have issues though ... what not to grow ;) :D

Best of Luck to you Trippa. Hope the season will be a great one for you ;) I have also kicked started 2015 on 1st July... let's hold thumbs!

PeriPeri said:
Best of Luck to you Trippa. Hope the season will be a great one for you ;) I have also kicked started 2015 on 1st July... let's hold thumbs!
Cheers Peri!! Yeah I have my fingers crossed for a bumper season for both you and I (everyone else as well) ... looking forward to growing out your reapers (last seasons were a disaster along with everything else so never saw a single pod off them) ..

Trippa said:
Cheers Peri!! Yeah I have my fingers crossed for a bumper season for both you and I (everyone else as well) ... looking forward to growing out your reapers (last seasons were a disaster along with everything else so never saw a single pod off them) ..
Tell me about it... last season in SA was a disaster too. Must have been a southern hemishphere kinda thing... cold, overcast and wet... heres wishing for a hot, sunny and dry season :D

PeriPeri said:
Tell me about it... last season in SA was a disaster too. Must have been a southern hemishphere kinda thing... cold, overcast and wet... heres wishing for a hot, sunny and dry season :D
yeah almost every grower on here that lives in Australia had a shite season ... even junglrain had a crap one he was saying.

So I am giving this Round of starts until Wednesday night to show there heads before I resort to another lot of germination for some varieties. That would have been a full 3 weeks. I will keep the non germinated ones going for another week or 2 after that just to be sure (seeing as they are older seed)

Still no sign of life from the original seed stock of my cili Goronong, But Jolokia 'Assam' , Choc Bhut Jolokia , Yellow 7 pot Pod and only very poor germination on another couple of varieties ...

not sure why but must be something I am doing I assume because its my worst % of germination since I have been gardening ... pretty disappointed.

Will give some of my fresher OP seeds from my pods of those varieties a whirl for my next round ... to get my best chance of success ... and keep my fingers crossed the original ones show up ... better late then never.
I still have a few hooks showing on some varieties already with germinated seedlings so there is hope those not up yet are just slow starters

stickman said:
Hi Tristan! Any better luck a week later? I'm sure Grant can help you out if viable seed is a problem. Cheers!
Hey Rick. Waited until Wednesday but they were still no shows .. so soaked 6 varieties (same again but using my own saved seed) Dropped one lot of Jalapeños to give my original scotch Bonnet TFM seeds a shot at germination ... Decided I needed a bonnet addition/choice ...
I kept some of my original non-germinated jiffy pellets in the germination chamber and put the others on the windowsill. With older seed they sometimes break dormancy when subjected to fluctuations in temperature (cooling at night and warm windowsill during the day) so I will often give any stubborn seeds another 3 week stint on that regime. I will often get another few hooks using this technique.
As for ordering more seed (as if I need it ;) ) I have actually just ordered 6 more varieties from other vendors (Grant included) ... won't be able to grow them all myself but will gift a few plants to various freinds etc.
I will be growing at least 1 of the varieties ordered myself as a replacement for my Original Choc Bhut ... its a Chocolate Bhut as well but different ... the.. Bhut Jolokia Assam raja JR Chocolate...
Grants specially selected Strain with bigger pods... should be a cracker addition!

The replacement Chocolate Bhut sounds like just the thing! I'll have to remember your tip on fluctuating temps to get some seeds to break dormancy. I wonder if that would help with the Manzanos? Drive on!

stickman said:
The replacement Chocolate Bhut sounds like just the thing! I'll have to remember your tip on fluctuating temps to get some seeds to break dormancy. I wonder if that would help with the Manzanos? Drive on!
Cheers Rick ! I guess the biggest thing with the temperature fluctuations is to ensure the growing media gets back up to a suitable germination temperature each high cycle .. and only drops as low as mid teens C during the low cycle .... another thing meant to hinder capsicum seed germination is normal incandescent light .. interestingly enough I haven't had issues with Manzano germination here (albeit in very limited read only 2 times I have attempted them) ... in fact they are often up well before some chinense .. it was fresh seed though .. always a bonus

What a great list Tristan! Glad you're getting back and business and I look forward to following along. The timing of the start is great... I love watching other THPers set and narrow their lists. All the decision making that goes into it is fascinating.

Anyway lots of rambles. Happy growin'

maximumcapsicum said:
What a great list Tristan! Glad you're getting back and business and I look forward to following along. The timing of the start is great... I love watching other THPers set and narrow their lists. All the decision making that goes into it is fascinating.

Anyway lots of rambles. Happy growin'
Cheers bro ... yeah nice to see other lists of fellow growers but I must say because of my growing situation I do end up with fair amount of envy seeing some people with their wide open expanses of garden space and 50 variety long lists ;) ... its a good envy ... I try to live vicariously somewhat :D ... I am still to do the hardest narrow down to my final 10 plants ... going to be tough!

Trippa said:
Cheers Rick ! I guess the biggest thing with the temperature fluctuations is to ensure the growing media gets back up to a suitable germination temperature each high cycle .. and only drops as low as mid teens C during the low cycle .... another thing meant to hinder capsicum seed germination is normal incandescent light .. interestingly enough I haven't had issues with Manzano germination here (albeit in very limited read only 2 times I have attempted them) ... in fact they are often up well before some chinense .. it was fresh seed though .. always a bonus

Yeah... incandescent lights don't seem very efficient for starting plants. The tungsten filaments radiate mostly longer wavelengths in the yellow spectrum that don't give the young plants the blue light they need to get started, and the amount of lumens are low enough that you end up with tall and leggy plants. So far, nobody's come up with affordable LED arrays that will reliably get the job done, and Metal Halides are energy pigs... it costs too much to keep them fed, so in the meantime I guess I'll stick with flourescents as the most bang for the buck.

I've noticed the same thing with Manzanos... the germination percentages are much better with fresh seed, and the other thing is that the pods ripen so slowly that when growing them out for viable seed, I leave them on the plant until they get soft and flabby before pulling them.   Cheers!

Hey Tristen, good to see you back in the saddle for a new grow season.  
This year will be much better!  It was sort of painful reading your grow
log last season - but probably more so for you.  If you want any seeds,
let me know and I'll send some off.  Your soil mix sounds like a good
improvement.

Best wishes for a stellar grow season, my friend!  All the seed you sent
me has produced wonderful plants! 

PaulG said:
Hey Tristen, good to see you back in the saddle for a new grow season.  
This year will be much better!  It was sort of painful reading your grow
log last season - but probably more so for you.  If you want any seeds,
let me know and I'll send some off.  Your soil mix sounds like a good
improvement.

Best wishes for a stellar grow season, my friend!  All the seed you sent
me has produced wonderful plants! 
Cheers Paul.
I actually (sorry to say) basically gave up on last season due to an ever losing battle with mites. Mostly through my own fault in not being proactive enough at the beginning and giving my plants the best shot at success (ie not starting afresh when OW plants were already battling)
As for seeds thanks for the offer but I have already got an over abundance this season (and just ordered 6 new varieties because I got itchy internet purchasing 1 variety :D ). Conversely if you see anything you would like from me for your starts in December/January let me know in the next few months and I will isolate and set aside for you.
As for your plants grown from the seed I sent ... all the kudos has to go to you for having your garden perfectly dialed in this season ... things are looking amazing. I can't believe how big that birdseye HTM is !!
stickman said:

Yeah... incandescent lights don't seem very efficient for starting plants. The tungsten filaments radiate mostly longer wavelengths in the yellow spectrum that don't give the young plants the blue light they need to get started, and the amount of lumens are low enough that you end up with tall and leggy plants. So far, nobody's come up with affordable LED arrays that will reliably get the job done, and Metal Halides are energy pigs... it costs too much to keep them fed, so in the meantime I guess I'll stick with flourescents as the most bang for the buck.

I've noticed the same thing with Manzanos... the germination percentages are much better with fresh seed, and the other thing is that the pods ripen so slowly that when growing them out for viable seed, I leave them on the plant until they get soft and flabby before pulling them.   Cheers!
Yeah I hear you ... I would love a MH or HPS set up but just have to make do with sunlight and my single T5 for my seedlings ... the constraints of space unfortunately are harder to overcome then the constraints of anything else almost ...

Back