• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Time to Turn it all Around ... It begins in Earnest... Trials and Tribulations of Trippa's Season 20

Well the least said about the 2013-2014 season from my point of view the better.  Broad Mites took a heavy toll and things just never got a start or a roll on .... I was at fault in some part by trying to grow too many plants in too small pots (a lesson I was yet to heed after 2-3 seasons), I tried to cheap on amendments just using a commercial potting mix ... never again ... and I didn't love them enough ... (I don't think I ever do although my wife disagrees ;)

I had some great varieties started but most I never got a single pod from, due to being in a constant flux of recovery and attack from Broad mites ... I will be holding onto a select few plants and putting them on my other balcony where I had success transplanting some other plants midway through last season ... less direct light and more weather and terracotta pots and a slightly different soil mix all added up to some semblance of harvest and my best ever harvest from my Pimenta De Neyde (confirming my thoughts that it (my particular plant) does not like the heat and full sun I had been affording it in the past 2 seasons.

However my main balcony will be wiped clean from this season (including being cleaned down to get rid of the pain in the ass mites and aphids) all pots removed and existing trays cleaned with bleach in the bathroom.

No more plastic pots will be used ... I have already purchased 10 x 10 gallon (37.85 litre) Fabric pots (got them for less then I could make them in the end) brand new with handles for shifting a little if needed although sounds like back trouble if I do it too much :)
This will give the root zones an additional 27.85 litres of space compared with last season and keep the roots cooler and give the benefit of air pruning ... an all round win!!

I will also be using a 25% Mushroom Compost, 25% Perlite, 25% Coir, and 15% Organic Potting mix and 5-7% Sheep Manure/Worm Castings/Rock Dust/ and the remainder a mulch yet to be determined (possibly pine bark or hardwood chips) ... But please post comments on what you think might be a good soil mix if you see some glaring omissions from my recipe.

I will also be companion planting with a couple of basil plants per plant along with a petunia or geranium added to the mix to hopefully boost some beneficial's in the garden and give the chillis some respite from the pest hordes.

I already have some plants started/stunted from late last season that I have been trying to hold off from going out to get infested before I can get rid of the mites and also have a bunch of varieties that I have in the heated propagator germinating at the moment (have been down 8 days and have 2 varieties hooked , Chocolate Habanero and Yellow Bhut x Primo f3 (seeds saved from my sole pod last season from Jungle Rains Yellow Bhut x Primo f2 seed)

I will disclose a full list of 10 plants I will be growing in the fabric pots (seriously no more) and the few that will go to the other balcony either because I need them for seed saving or because they are plants I would like to grow again but don't want to commit to starting again.

I also have a bunch of seeds started with the view to gifting them to a couple of people.

I am looking forward to the steep challenge this season ... I just want some kick ass plants and pods ... I can't promise that but I will try ... 

Just read over my 2013-2014 glog and the first few pages started much the same as this one ... grandiose Ideas ... new starts... changes ... blah blah blah ... talk is cheap it would seem :D ... but the difference is this season I already have part of the set up purchased and a disaster behind me to spur me to change everything .... haha ... check out post #370 on last seasons glog ... this year is the year ... 

Brother Tristan-
Looks like you have a good plan mapped out , bigger is usually better for pots as long as the plant is up to it size wise. Nothing wrong with that soil mix , as long as they get adequate water(sounds like it would dry out pretty quickly).Bleach the hell outta those broad mites!
My season started late , plant out was late June , which is a bad time for little plants to learn the ways of nature, the sun is merciless , the bugs are peaking , and its been raining like crazy.

I've lost several of my hopefuls this year , but really should have more than enough plants to get a bunch of pods. Fingers crossed , I won't see em for another 2 weeks or so , but about 50% were looking a bit worse for wear.....my hope is that the soil will dry out a bit , and some of my issues will go away.

My only RAJA type Bhut is a Peach Raja SR from Grant , 2 came through for me so I 'm lookin forward to those.

Have a mean season!
DJ

gnslngr said:
Brother Tristan-
Looks like you have a good plan mapped out , bigger is usually better for pots as long as the plant is up to it size wise. Nothing wrong with that soil mix , as long as they get adequate water(sounds like it would dry out pretty quickly).Bleach the hell outta those broad mites!
My season started late , plant out was late June , which is a bad time for little plants to learn the ways of nature, the sun is merciless , the bugs are peaking , and its been raining like crazy.

I've lost several of my hopefuls this year , but really should have more than enough plants to get a bunch of pods. Fingers crossed , I won't see em for another 2 weeks or so , but about 50% were looking a bit worse for wear.....my hope is that the soil will dry out a bit , and some of my issues will go away.

My only RAJA type Bhut is a Peach Raja SR from Grant , 2 came through for me so I 'm lookin forward to those.

Have a mean season!
DJ
Cheers for stopping in Dave!! Yeah the plan is there but even the greatest plans come unstuck without contingentcy plans in place. Unfortunately my contingency plans consist only of "must try harder-refer to plan A" in bold letters ;) :D
Yeah the drying aspect worries me a little in terms of my mix but I am hoping if I mulch adequately and add sufficient coir and a couple of other minor amendments I should be OK. (I may reduce perlite to 20% ) I have real issues in our climate of compaction of soil in summer and because I top water this adds to the issues hence the perlite proponent needs to be increased.

I just bought a 5litre container of bleach for my containers I will be reusing (just for the initial starts ) and the plastic boot trays they sit on ... the new fabric pots won't be an issue ... I will be also spraying everything on that balcony with a pyrethrin / wettable sulphur mix the day before I discard the plants and deal with the pots so I don't bring them inside near my seedlings ... little bastages get everywhere

Sorry to hear of your tough starts ... its always harder starting young plants off on the back foot. Best of luck for the rest of your season bro
Yeah looking forward to that Raja Choc Bhut ... looks like it ticks all the boxes

Sounds like you will get a good handle on the mites, Tristen!  Good luck with that.
Can't you just drop your plants off the balcony?  Then all you have to do is wash
down the balcony   :rofl:

I can't wait to see your beautiful plants and pod pics for the upcoming season!

PaulG said:
Sounds like you will get a good handle on the mites, Tristen!  Good luck with that.
Can't you just drop your plants off the balcony?  Then all you have to do is wash
down the balcony   :rofl:

I can't wait to see your beautiful plants and pod pics for the upcoming season!
:rofl: trust me Paul it is extremely tempting ;) not sure everyone would be as onboard with that idea though ... I guess I could just shrug my shoulders if caught and blame some guy over in the Pacific North West for having the idea ay Paul? ;) No it will have to be some old fashioned hard work unfortunately for my time sheet. Off work with a Severe head cold today but have some good drugs to help me trundle through ... maybe I will surprise the wife with a clean balcony when she gets home... then again movies sound good ;)

OK question for the AACT users out there .... this year (while the wife knows nothing of this yet ;) ) I will be dabbling for the first time proper into some AACT.

Before I go and purchase the only setup equipment I need : (AKA the Aeration setup) I just wanted peoples opinions on whether this piece of kit would aerate sufficiently up to 10-20 litres (roughly 2.5-5 US gallons) of AACT at a time effectively for it to stay Aerobic?  Or is that overkill/Underkill??  

Cheers

Just sprayed the main balcony plants with a kill brew of pyrethrin and Wettable Sulphur .... will clean up the balcony this coming weekend (remove all plants have decided I will not risk keeping any of my plants even my 3-4 season OWs  :( )  and spray the balcony down with the same mixture again and clean it with sugar soap the next day .... 

This approach means I will be able to put a couple of extra new plants on the back balcony instead of my OW's ...

Trippa said:
OK question for the AACT users out there .... this year (while the wife knows nothing of this yet ;) ) I will be dabbling for the first time proper into some AACT.

Before I go and purchase the only setup equipment I need : (AKA the Aeration setup) I just wanted peoples opinions on whether this piece of kit would aerate sufficiently up to 10-20 litres (roughly 2.5-5 US gallons) of AACT at a time effectively for it to stay Aerobic?  Or is that overkill/Underkill??  

Cheers
I think that pump will work just fine for 5gallon bucket and under. The use of two stone will work. I stir the mix a couple times a day. I upgraded to a industrial style pump. I think it was about $35.00 US dollars. I use two of the ports. One for each 5gallon bucket. Thought that down the line I would need more air for a bigger tea reservoir. I haven't got that far yet. Next year for sure. Good luck Tristen.
image.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
I think that pump will work just fine for 5gallon bucket and under. The use of two stone will work. I stir the mix a couple times a day. I upgraded to a industrial style pump. I think it was about $35.00 US dollars. I use two of the ports. One for each 5gallon bucket. Thought that down the line I would need more air for a bigger tea reservoir. I haven't got that far yet. Next year for sure. Good luck Tristen.
image.jpg
Cheers for stopping by bro!! Thanks for your input ... i thought it would be fine but don't want to make a dud purpose ...I was looking at a pump almost identical to the one you posted as well but they wanted 12.95 for postage and they live in the same city ... hence why I am leaning towards a free postage option with the full kit ... no messing about that way... still haven't pressed go yet ...

I would research a little more. Maybe others will give there input. I always find something cool and when I buy it I find something cooler.LOL. Now I always research a little longer, unless I absolutely need it right away.

OCD Chilehead said:
I would research a little more. Maybe others will give there input. I always find something cool and when I buy it I find something cooler.LOL. Now I always research a little longer, unless I absolutely need it right away.
My own OCD never allows me not to over research ... sometimes I wish I could just make a decision on the spot... but then I know it could be wrong :D ..

So after only one jiffy of jalapeños out of 4 sprouted in my initial batch of seeds put down 4 weeks ago.
I chucked another lot of the same Jalapeño seeds into my round of seeds planted last Thursday after a 24hr soak in a combo of weak black and chamomile tea (I used the combo as the tannins are supposed to soften the seed shell and the chamomile has anti-fungal properties).
First one was sprouted yesterday morning making it less then 6 days from planting.
Not sure if I can put it down to the different soaking solution just yet.
Funny thing is not 1 but 4 of the original jalapeño seeds in one jiffy decided to sprout overnight last night making it exactly 4 weeks and 1 day to germinate... never had an annuum take that long before. Moral of the story ... never give up ;)
Also soaked my new arrivals from Grant @jungle rain ... so into the black/chamomile tea mix went 3 each of Cabe Gondol and Bhut jolokia Assam Raja JR strain chocolate ... will be putting them into the jiffy pellets and into the incubator tonight ...

Spent my whole Saturday afternoon. Sorting out my balcony and scrapping all my overwinters ... bleached all my pots and tools.
Sulphured and pyrethrined my clean balcony and tomorrow morning will scrub it down with sugar soap to clean it before potting up some seedlings!! Feel pretty good considering I scrapped 3-4 near 4 season plants and 20 or so others
But when looking at them it was obvious they needed to go and a clean slate for my new seedlings laid out.
Still getting pieces together for my final potting mix but have enough on hand for some small pots

Good on ya for being so thorough on your initial prep Tristan! With seedlings already started, I can see why you would be. We're certainly wishing you the best for your new season. Out of curiosity... what's sugar soap? Cheers!

stickman said:
Good on ya for being so thorough on your initial prep Tristan! With seedlings already started, I can see why you would be. We're certainly wishing you the best for your new season. Out of curiosity... what's sugar soap? Cheers!
Yeah didn't want to take any chances .... the sugar soap is just a general cleaner (phosphate based alkaline soap) to clean the dirt from the balcony.. just to keep stains from forming where the trays sat .. heres a link http://www.selleys.com.au/diy-painting/cleaning-surfaces/sugar-soap/
Its just an awesome All round cleaning solution you can use on almost any surface ... must have in the cupboard for lots of cleaning jobs

Hey mate..will be good to see your progress through the season...even though I am in the northern hemisphere and we are in the middle of summer...I started 6 seeds a couple of days ago to jump start my 2015 season...good luck on your grow Trippa and may the beneficial insect gods be on your side this year

Trippa said:
Yeah didn't want to take any chances .... the sugar soap is just a general cleaner (phosphate based alkaline soap) to clean the dirt from the balcony.. just to keep stains from forming where the trays sat .. heres a link http://www.selleys.com.au/diy-painting/cleaning-surfaces/sugar-soap/
Its just an awesome All round cleaning solution you can use on almost any surface ... must have in the cupboard for lots of cleaning jobs

Yeah, we can get trisodium phosphate at the hardware stores here for general cleaning... just add water.  I checked out the MSDS sheet on Selley's liquid sugar-soap and still don't see where the sugar comes in unless it's because the active ingredients are granulated. They're listed as 60% water, 10% trisodium polyphosphate and 10% washing soda (sodium carbonate). It also says that the color is a bluish-white, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little laundry bluing in there.

+1 on AJ's invocation of the friendly insect gods!

AlabamaJack said:
Hey mate..will be good to see your progress through the season...even though I am in the northern hemisphere and we are in the middle of summer...I started 6 seeds a couple of days ago to jump start my 2015 season...good luck on your grow Trippa and may the beneficial insect gods be on your side this year
Cheers for stopping in AJ! ... and thanks for the good wishes!. Yeah here's hoping the groundwork I lay this year pays off ... look I have to try ;) unfortunately I don't have a great backyard like yours (or maybe fortunately for my spare time :D ). Best of luck with your season ahead as well ... can't wait to see those great scorpion genetics growing again!
stickman said:

Yeah, we can get trisodium phosphate at the hardware stores here for general cleaning... just add water.  I checked out the MSDS sheet on Selley's liquid sugar-soap and still don't see where the sugar comes in unless it's because the active ingredients are granulated. They're listed as 60% water, 10% trisodium polyphosphate and 10% washing soda (sodium carbonate). It also says that the color is a bluish-white, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little laundry bluing in there.

+1 on AJ's invocation of the friendly insect gods!
Cheers Rick! Its called sugar soap due to the fact of its granulated appearance when in a dry powder form apparently.

Yeah here's hoping I can lure some good insects in this season.. I have a couple of plans to help that along...

I'm looking forward to a "mite free" season. Ever think of spraying the walls on the balcony? Bastards are everywhere....

Good luck!

Devv said:
I'm looking forward to a "mite free" season. Ever think of spraying the walls on the balcony? Bastards are everywhere....

Good luck!
Hey Devv! Yeah so am I ... fingers crossed on that!!
I have thought of spraying the walls (and glass panels) ... and then I did it ;) ... yeah I sprayed the area around the plants up the walls up to about a metre off the ground and all of the edges of the balcony ... hope it will be enough ... can't be sure it got everything but sure better then it was ... enough to give the plants a headstart and some time to grow some good bug attracting plants ... that's the plan ...
Thanks Devv!!

Back