• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Too early for 2024 grow list ..........?

I'm sure this will change by early 2024....

Outside on balcony:
Hungarian Hot Wax
Jalapeno M
Jalapeno Orange Spice
Japanese (either Hontaka or Santaka depending on winter grow tent comparison)
Jwala (either Pusa Jwala or Bangalore Torpedo)

Grow tent:
Orange Habanero
Jwala
Surti Marcha
TBD (maybe Sandia De Arbol, Orange Thai SSE, or other similar)
With your tent, how much lighting are you running, and do you do any training on the plants like ScROG or topping to manage their space?

With your tent, how much lighting are you running, and do you do any training on the plants like ScROG or topping to manage their space?
I have a SpiderFarmer2000 at about 50-60% (at 100% it was turning all the leaves yellow). I don't know the actual specs/measurements. 13hrs light/11hrs dark. I don't usually top the peppers, but I definitely prune and shape frequently. I also keep them quite small, in small containers, as I don't require large harvests.

Current plans, subject to change:

Seeds from Matt's Peppers:
-- Pimenta Bode Amarillo
-- Rob's Folly
-- Olho de Peixe White
-- Zebrange
-- Peppadew
-- Ají Charapita

Seeds from Midwest Chileheads
-- Bica Roxa
-- Scotch Bonnets MOA (yellow and red)
-- Peruvian White Habaneros

Seeds from THP friends:
-- Er Jing Tao
-- Aji Ayuyo
-- Promo
-- Red Aji Peru
-- Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet (G3)

Miscellaneous sources:
-- Aji Pineapple
-- Coyote Teeth

I'm not sure if I can fit all that in the bed we're planning, but I'll probably also use a number of grow bags.

Last edited:
Overwinter
4 Trinidad Scorpion
2 Thai
2 Scotch Bonnet

Seed
2 Trinidad Scorpion
2 Scotch Bonnet
2 Chocolate Habanero
2 Bhut Jolokia (not much room for error with only 10 seeds)
2 Jalapeno
2 Calorina Reaper(tentative, may be too hot for comfort)

Hey, it's never too early! :lol:

I have my (small) grow list ready and the little plants are already up! Just have to get them through the winter months...
2x Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms (WHP)
2x Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie (Gen.2 2018 seeds from Sawyer)
2x Scotch Bonnet HSH (Humble Servants Homestead)
2x Bahamian Goat (WHP)

And this time I want to stick to these plants and these plants only...
...but as I never stick to the plan I also added MOA red and yellow scotch bonnets to the list... 🫣 :seeya:

Definitely growing:
- Lemon spice jalapeño (repeat from 2023)
- Zapotec jalapeno (new to me variety)

Maybe growing:
- Thai bangkok or Thai dragon
- Bell peppers
- Fatali
- Old chinense seeds - see what germinates - (Bahamian goat, Safi scotch bonnet, Congo, etc)

I end up wasting most of the peppers I grow, because I grow too many. I have been making an effort to grow less plants each year, but I still end up with too many. I may experiment with pruning the chinense plants to keep them small. I also have started destroying or neglecting plants mid season when it has become clear that they are not a favorite variety.

After trying many different chinense varieties over the past several years, I am shifting toward mostly growing my favorites, rather than trying many new varieties.

Definitely growing:
- Lemon spice jalapeño (repeat from 2023)
- Zapotec jalapeno (new to me variety)

Maybe growing:
- Thai bangkok or Thai dragon
- Bell peppers
- Fatali
- Old chinense seeds - see what germinates - (Bahamian goat, Safi scotch bonnet, Congo, etc)

I end up wasting most of the peppers I grow, because I grow too many. I have been making an effort to grow less plants each year, but I still end up with too many. I may experiment with pruning the chinense plants to keep them small. I also have started destroying or neglecting plants mid season when it has become clear that they are not a favorite variety.

After trying many different chinense varieties over the past several years, I am shifting toward mostly growing my favorites, rather than trying many new varieties.
When I used to have a garden and could grow many varieties, I would sacrifice the disappointments to the hornworms...because they are pretty cool when they aren't devouring my favorite pepper plants! Plus I enjoyed watching the adult moths nectar at my Daturas on summer evenings.

Well my list changed already.............. 😗

Kind of ending up sowing and germinating all my capsicum chinense

1# 7 pot primo
2# Hurt berry
3# Death spiral
4# 7 pot Barrackpore
5# 7 pot Brain strain yellow
6# Super bhut jolokia jw
7# Trinidad moruga scorpion red
8# Chocolate scotch bonnet
9# Devil's Nagabrain red f4
10# Bengle naga
11# Habanero Chocolate
12# Fatalii gourmet jigsaw
13# scotch brains Yellow f6
14# Dorset Naga
15# Mustard king Naga

All germinated "on" wet rockwool all within 8 day's :thumbsup: most germinated within 4 to 5 days, very impressed with this method let me spot 3 of 5 scotch brains seeds go manky and allowed to resow within a couple of days :party:no lost time.

They are numbered in the order they germinated all are in my light box now generally 5 of each ideally culling to two of each but I'll hang on to extras as long as possible.

A few will be going to a friends greenhouse but I will be able to grab seed in autumn from them 😎

Also going to do a few mini kratky hydroponics to save space and time.

My capsicum annuum will be sown in January........

Back