• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Torno 2012

---2012 Grow List---

Here is my final pepper grow list for 2012 and pictures of my newly taped together grow box to get off on the right foot this year. I had wanted to have this already done and seeds started over a month ago but life happens.

7 Pod White
Chocolate x Red Hab
ButchT
7 Pod Primo
7 Pod Brain
White Bhut
Peach Bhut
Biker Billy Jap
Douglah x ButchT, Red
7 Pod Barrackpore
Sonoran Chiltepin
Trinidad Scorpion , AJ 2011
Yellow TS CARDI
Jimmy Nardello
Brazilian Starfish
Aji Crystal
Aji Dulce
Bih Jolokia , overwinter
Bishops Crown, overwinter
Trinidad Sweet Cherry
Sweet Trinidad Scorpion
Sofia Sweet
Trinidad Perfum

This years list is only 1/4th of what I had originally planned but the family wants more herbs/veg to enjoy, I think it's honestly because they are sick of hearing me curse the skies and punch the cat when I indulge in some super hot love.

---Grow Box for 2012---
HydroFarm 4ft 6bulb T5HO setup, had it not been for my horrible ability to measure things, I could of easily fit in the 8bulb, oh well. It cranks out enough light to make me squink so I'm happy. All the shiny stuff is your average emergency blanket from Wal-Mart. I have it chain mounted and can easily be adjusted to any height I want from the bottom upwards to 5 ft, so there is plenty of room in there to play with. Once seeds are planted out I am taking on a new project to grow some monster DWC 100% isolated plants for a member, I'm really excited to see what those babies will do with the new setup.

Overview
Overview.jpg

Interior
Interior.jpg

Expansion
Expansion.jpg

expansion2.jpg

-J

FIRST ripening pod of the season and one I've been waiting to try... big ass jimmy nardello w00t! thanks again Justa!
26April2012_Jimmy.jpg
Just got your question and am trying to catch up on my 2.5 pages of unread in My Content.

That Nard is almost there. They ripen to a nice bright red. Like most peppers the taste changes. As you get more play with finding you favorite picking time. Green with a tint of red are good and full red too. The one you posted the pic of is a nice transitional stage of flavor. Can't wait for mine. Stakes come in handy as mine get TOP HEAVY quick.

Enjoy.

I am guess they were also the first to flower so save the seeds from that one and you will have a bunch of true seed for for next year.

Ya it was the first plant to flower and set by about two weeks. I should of pinched buds on that plant as it's horribly stunted by the early production. Also, I went ahead and clipped off the smallest pods that were just not gonna be worth anything and kept the larger ones to continue on. Going to try pushing it heavy on a grow forumla to see if I can't boost the overall size and then get it back to flowering again. Thanks again for the seeds, looking foward to eating this thing tomorrow!

-J

Update....

Family
09May2012_Family.jpg

Family 1
09May2012_Family1.jpg

Barrackpore starting to turn
09May2012_barrackpore.jpg

7 Primo, AJ
09May2012_AJPrimo.jpg

Sweet TS
09May2012_sweetTS.jpg

NOT a white bhut
09May2012_NOTawhitebhut.jpg

NOT a peach bhut!!!!
09May2012_NOTapeachbhut.jpg

Here is the current grass level and thickness around all pots, seems to keep the soil temps pretty cool so far
09May2012_grasslevel.jpg

Black Clay soil test plant... you can see it's WAY behind...
09May2012_soiltestplant.jpg

Hopefully next year I can score some REAL peach bhut seeds...

-J

That not white bhut is as white as they get. They go through a very light green color then to red. Your peach on the other hand is a definite NOT. I have some seeds, but not too sure about them. I didn't grow any this season. No matter what color they end up...you got a ton of HOT hanging off all your plants! Unbelievable start J! Keep the pics flowing, gives me something to look forward to!

Shane

Everything looks great... especially those Barrackpore. I'm growing those for the first time this year and can't wait to try them.

Long update...

Recently I've been thinking about the idea of starting to grow in ground but the downside is here in North Texas most of us have the black gumbo clay that is not exactly the best to grow in. Clay has horrible drainage, VERY SLOW drainage, it clumps when wet, becomes hard as a rock when it's dry and its just nasty stuff.. I've been reading up on how to work it and what I need to add and expanded shale and a TON of organic material has been the overall suggestions. I found a place locally called Soil Building Systems which is a massive operation and they have something called Gumbo Buster. It's expanded shale, compost and looks like some composted mulch and who knows what else is in there. I went and got 80lbs for almost nothing. Found a spot in the yard that I could tear up for a test area and went to work. Here are a series of pictures though from a plant stuck in the hole I made with my finger in 100% black gumbo clay. It was REALLY slow to start and wasn't doing anything at all. One day I poured some old hydro res water over it and it exploded! I figure if that plant can grow the way it is in soild clay then what would happen when the soil has been worked!

17 Feb 2012
17Feb2012_yellcardi.jpg

09 May 2012, as you can see it was lagging BAD
09May2012_soiltestplant.jpg

16 May 2012
16May2012_ingroundtest.jpg

19 May 2012
19May2012_ingroundtest.jpg

10 June 2012
10June2012_inground.jpg

New test bed...

Looks like a black top road
09June2012_ingroundtest.jpg

After the gumbo buster was added...
09June2012_ingroundtes1t.jpg

Final outcome..
tilled.jpg

This is after I sprayed it pretty heavy, still some large marble sized clumps and when squeezed pretty hard it clumps but breaks apart with ease. This is also after adding in another 40lbs of expanded shale and 2 cu ft of cotton burr compost. Im going to let it sit for a week before putting plants in there and then hardwood mulch on top of the weed blocker. It was tilled down 12 inchs... It'll only get rain water and left over hydro water nothing else.

Can't seemt of figure out how to insert a video so here is the link...
Also the potted plants are going good...

-J

I wonder if the rootballs can be cut off at the end of the season or when you are done, dried out, then crushed up and added to soil for outdoor growing.

Back