• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

Good luck w the interview! Hope it goes well. I know y'all need concealed carry up there. Bout time you finally got it!

Thanks guys! 

For those who didn't see my introduction post or skipped a few pages of the Glog where we talked about it, I'm a multi-discipline NRA certified rifle, pistol, shotgun instructor; IL state police approved concealed carry instructor; and NRA certified chief range safety officer. I am an official for NRA approved High Power, Fullbore, and Smallbore tournaments. And I've also been in martial arts for 30 years (teaching for 21), so self-defense is kind of a "thing" for me. :)

Once upon a time (early 2000's), I also trained US Marines on soviet bloc weapons before they deployed to the sandbox (as a civilian instructor). 

Just wish these guys would have sent a list of questions or something so I could prepare for this, I don't like short-notice "off the cuff" interviews.

Can't say enough about how well things are going in IL.

You did a heck of a job with the OW's that were ill, AND the herbicide issues! And all the rest!

Good luck on the interview! And I agree, cold questions are not one of my fav's

Jeff H said:
Very cool.

Lol Yeah dude this was so random and unexpected. If you'd told me this morning while I was watching the news and drinking coffee that tonight I'd be filmed to appear on a TV show... 

Then suddenly my biggest concern of the day was getting a hair trim & shave in. :)

Sometimes you just gotta roll with it, I guess. I've given up trying to figure out this whole "life" thing. There's no rules to it.

On the garden front ... Getting a LOT of rain tonight. Had a heck of a storm blow through. 

I spy a Glock there. 26?? Is that what you carry?

I'm still in love with my M&P Shield 40. Not quite as much firepower as a double stacked, but much thinner and lighter.

It's a Glock 19, 4th gen.  Accurate, fast, light, reliable, and 15+1 capacity.. great carry piece. 

I'm a smidge faster with my CZ75 9mm, but it's a brick by comparison, being all metal, tougher to conceal, and less comfortable to wear all day.

The speed difference is negligible for practical purposes - I get 0.16 second split times with the Glock 19, and I get 0.15 second split times on the CZ75, doing speed standard drills.

Both are fast shooters.

This year is turning out so much different from the last two years...

I haven't needed to water my in-the-dirt plants in a month now. :)

Four tomato plants are getting pulled out this evening. I might stick some overwinters in the dirt where they were located, in another week or so, to see what happens.

I'll post pics of the stems / roots when I pull them out of the ground tonight.

I'll be interested to see how they look.

Although most of mine made a full run, a few bugged out early, next year they go in a virgin area as far as Tom's go.

A few days ago my wife pruned them back to pretty much bare stems. A few are putting on new growth that looks fine. One of them put on new growth, then it started wilting again today. 

I'm going to start with that one.

TrentL said:
This year is turning out so much different from the last two years...

I haven't needed to water my in-the-dirt plants in a month now. :)

I watered for the first time in about three weeks here in New Jersey. Things are starting to dry out, I will be watering a little more frequently now.

My ground is 100000% saturated still. Instead of pulling out the tomatoes tonight I weeded. I've never had an easier time pulling out crab grass. Of course, the roots took out big potholes of mud with them. But whatever. Weeds be gone. :)

EDIT: Oh hell, my pepper plants are launching HARD man. 

Was just looking at a Butch-T overwinter and in the last three days it's put on a half dozen new thick green stems that are 20" long.

Those weren't there a few days ago.

I've never seen anything like it.

ALL of my plants have doubled in size in the last week.

Going to be wading through the jungle soon!

This carolina reaper overwinter is about to go nuts. If these buds all flower it's going to have a couple hundred pods trying to grow at once.

There's about 4-6 flower buds per node... on just about every single node...

hbhv0xOh.jpg

rEfjdalh.jpg

Making some jerky... having a staring contest with my dog..

QbThxtFh.jpg

Of course the first tray came out, I turned around, and it was gone.

8cpzGTnh.jpg

I always make two batches of jerky, one with black pepper, one with "dad's flake of death" - any one of fourteen randomly chosen jars of ultrahot flake... this time.. yellow habanero. (Trying to get my tolerance built back up.)

MAN that is good stuff.

I've reached a whole new level of jerking mastery.

Wait.

Nevermind.
EDIT:

Also, that dog should KNOW better. Last year after I made jerky he cleaned a plate I'd left unattended of a full pound of Moruga Scorpion jerky. Read as: the hottest jerky I've ever made.

The stupid mutt spent 3 days shitting running streams of brown - in circles.

And we have white carpets.

Took a lot of time with the carpet cleaner machine to get all the damn stains out.

Moral of the story: Dogs are stupid and will eat anything, even if it makes them suffer.

Moral of the story: Humans are stupid and will eat anything, even if it makes them suffer. 

:)

Back