• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trident's Bonnets 2016

Once again it's that time of year ... sowing miss labelling and no shows. Thank you to all that have helped me find new and obscure bonnets and hybrids. This forum generosity has been staggering and the Christmas Cards across the pond full of seed have worked well in both directions ... clone tent cleaned T5's dusted off

Firstly the usual suspects

Elysium Oxide - Mustard
Elysium Oxide - Rust
ScotchBrain F4 - Meatfreak
NeBru7
Trinidad SB x 7pot
SB Foodarama Red
SB Foodarama Yellow
MoA Yellow
SB Jamaican Yellow
SB P. Dreadie
SB Peach
SB Atomic
SB7J
SB FreePort Orange
SB Allen Boatman

New for 2016

SB Saraga Orange Short Pheno - jcw10tc/Fiogga
SB Saraga Orange Long Pheno - Fiogga
SB Jamaica Orange Long - mpicante
SB Jamaica Orange Short - mpicante
SB Yellow CCN ( Cross Country Nurseries ) - mpicante/Mr Bigglesworth
SB x TSM x Red Annuum F2 - Fiogga
SB Chocolate x Black Naga - Heefy/PepperNorth
SB Yellow x Naga Morich - HotToddy
SB Yellow Foodarama x Yellow Fatalii - Dennish
SB Schneider Farm - Pulpiteer/Romy6
SB Caramel - Romy6
SB Jamaican Long - Superhot Sim
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Red - Superhot Sim
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Chocolate - Superhot Sim
SB MoA Red - Plantguy76
SB Stuffing - Plantguy76
SB Jamaica - Mr Bigglesworth
SB x UBSC Red - Heefy
SB7J Yellow F1 - Romy6
SB7J Select - Steve Queen
2SB7J F1 - SB7J x MoA - Steve Queen
Neyde x SB7J - Chili Riot
Pimenta Leopard x SB7J
Obeah F2 - MoA x Reaper - Steve Queen
SB Mystery possible x BG - HotToddy
PA 353 - look alike Bonnet - Fiogga

Having successfully grown Borg9, UBSC Brown and Yaki last season I thought I would again grow a few hotties after a lot of thought I have chosen four ... Aji Jobito x BBG7 - Fiogga (Sandra) ... alot has been said about Aji Jobito all good things ... seed from Joe Delaney and BBG7 from Chris Phillips - would be nice if everyone included a seed/variety in this year's grow of Chris's

I am sure Sandra would not mind me posting her photograph

Well we have all heard and seen the great work "Medecins Sans Frontiers" do around the world especially in war torn areas. Sandra's daughters partner is part of Doctors Without Borders and probably whilst her daughter might say "take care" Sandra may say "If you see a chilli grab it" .. I love a story so my second hottie is simply another of hers named "DWB Columbia Red with tail"

Finally third and fourth choice "Arkansas Peach" a Sawyer Reaper variation I understand - Pulpiteer ... Moruga x Douglah - Snagglepus ... Knowing me there may well be more ... thank you for looking

Mitzi said:
I have read this glog from the beginning today and really enjoyed it. Very inspirational to a novice. Can I ask about the grow tents - did they come with lighting or did you build that yourself? Thanks.
Thanks for your kind words ... As I predominantly grow Scotch Bonnets - C. Chinense they take a while to fully mature to help them through the season I sow between Christmas and the New Year ... I now have two tents a clone tent with T5 lighting and a larger tent with a CFL Blue bulb for vegative growth and a Red CFL for flower to maturity. Having the lights on 18 hrs then 12 hrs through the night the costs are low. Trouble is I can never get it right and by April/May I have all these plants wanting to get outside once the frosts have gone. You don't need a lot of money to grow chillies I have seen home made grow areas made within a cupboard. Hope this helps PM me if you need more info
Charles coming from you that means a lot ... thank you

OCD Chilehead said:
Fantastic haul, John. I'm all caught up. Some really nice pics. I like the Foodarama x Fatallii. Some really good varieties on your list.
p

Thank you very much the Yellow Foodarama x Fatalii is a Dennish creation great shape I just need to improve on size
Devv said:
Well done John!

You just keep a pulling ;)
That's it Devv no more to pick last pods were my indoor grow ... Matthew Arthur's SBN Chocolate and Red. His Chocolate variety is the most perfect shape I have seen on a smooth skinned pod. Definitely on the grow list for next season
MA Red and Chocolate .... Butch T x NagaBon - Yellow and a single Orange PDN x SB7J

Final destination ... Dehydrator

Ozzy2001 said:
Looks like a hell of a season. Lots of pretty pods. It's kind of a relief once it's all over. I definitely need to down size next year and I think I may stick to that lol.
Elysium Oxide - Mustard ... Great colour round Pheno
Elysium Oxide - Rust .... Flowers failed to set
ScotchBrain F4 - Good shape and colour
NeBru7 - Poor season small growth and pods
Trinidad SB x 7pot - Always a winner
SB Foodarama Red - Turned out to be Senegal Habanero
SB Foodarama Yellow - Great growth and pods
SB P. Dreadie - Another winner however very few true select pods
SB Peach - Small growth small pods
SB Atomic - never got the mushroom shape
SB7J - Patrick's grass hut Pheno
SB FreePort Orange - Small growth small pods
SB Allen Boatman (TJSB) - Always grows true to form - very like Foodarama Yellow
SB Saraga Orange Short Pheno - Great growth orange to red pods very prolific
SB Saraga Orange Long Pheno - As above
SB Jamaica Orange Long - Skin of pod like a stain glass window very prolific
SB Jamaica Orange Short - As above
SB Yellow CCN ( Cross Country Nurseries ) - Small plant plenty of small pods
SB x TSM x Red Annuum F2 - Tiny yellow pods like little bullets
SB Chocolate x Black Naga - Very impressive gnarly chocolate pods
SB Yellow x Naga Morich - Plenty of pods too round not the elongated shape
SB Yellow Foodarama x Yellow Fatalii - Grew true to form indoors
SB Schneider Farm - Awesome Bonnet great shape and prolific
SB Caramel - Failed to germinate
SB Jamaican Long - Great shape elongated like a pendant ... also prolific but not a great bearer of seed
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Red - Grown totally indoors in grow tent
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Chocolate - As above ... best looking soft skinned chocolate pod
SB MoA Red - Great pods true to form
SB Stuffing - Tiny pods
SB Jamaica - Lovely shape but small pods
SB x UBSC Red - Failed to flower
SB7J Yellow F1 - Lots of pods ... work in progress ... not enough UK heat
SB7J Select - Nice shape but the longest to mature
2SB7J F1 - SB7J x MoA - Failed to germinate
Neyde x SB7J - A real winner ... tallest plant in poly tunnel amazing colours
Pimenta Leopard x SB7J - Small pods not as prolific as above
Obeah F2 - MoA x Reaper - Grew constant Reaper Pheno work in progress
SB Mystery possible x BG - Loads of yellow consistent elongated pods
PA 353 - look alike Bonnet - Grew like a fantastic looking SB7J without the heat
Yellow Primo x NagaBon - Very prolific ... another tall plant
Butch T x NagaBon - Very late to flower/set only produced three pods
Beth Boyd Yellow SB - Star of the grow in shape and consistency
DWB Colombian Red - unfortunately I produced pink pods
Arkansas Peach - Grew true to form lovely pinkish colour
Aji Jobito x BBG7 (Chocolate variety) - Plenty of pods
WR Big Jim - Not long enough to win the challenge

Overall yes I am pleased so thank and to everyone who gave me seed ... thank you very much I will see you all again in 2017 with more Scotch Bonnets

Wonderful! 

Will you overwinter some (all?) of the plants or scrap them all and start again from seed?  Maybe some of the poor performers would do better in their second year.

I'm going to try some SBs next year.  Fingers crossed!

Trident chilli said:
Elysium Oxide - Mustard ... Great colour round Pheno
Elysium Oxide - Rust .... Flowers failed to set
ScotchBrain F4 - Good shape and colour
NeBru7 - Poor season small growth and pods
Trinidad SB x 7pot - Always a winner
SB Foodarama Red - Turned out to be Senegal Habanero
SB Foodarama Yellow - Great growth and pods
SB P. Dreadie - Another winner however very few true select pods
SB Peach - Small growth small pods
SB Atomic - never got the mushroom shape
SB7J - Patrick's grass hut Pheno
SB FreePort Orange - Small growth small pods
SB Allen Boatman (TJSB) - Always grows true to form - very like Foodarama Yellow
SB Saraga Orange Short Pheno - Great growth orange to red pods very prolific
SB Saraga Orange Long Pheno - As above
SB Jamaica Orange Long - Skin of pod like a stain glass window very prolific
SB Jamaica Orange Short - As above
SB Yellow CCN ( Cross Country Nurseries ) - Small plant plenty of small pods
SB x TSM x Red Annuum F2 - Tiny yellow pods like little bullets
SB Chocolate x Black Naga - Very impressive gnarly chocolate pods
SB Yellow x Naga Morich - Plenty of pods too round not the elongated shape
SB Yellow Foodarama x Yellow Fatalii - Grew true to form indoors
SB Schneider Farm - Awesome Bonnet great shape and prolific
SB Caramel - Failed to germinate
SB Jamaican Long - Great shape elongated like a pendant ... also prolific but not a great bearer of seed
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Red - Grown totally indoors in grow tent
SB Mathew Arthur's SBN Chocolate - As above ... best looking soft skinned chocolate pod
SB MoA Red - Great pods true to form
SB Stuffing - Tiny pods
SB Jamaica - Lovely shape but small pods
SB x UBSC Red - Failed to flower
SB7J Yellow F1 - Lots of pods ... work in progress ... not enough UK heat
SB7J Select - Nice shape but the longest to mature
2SB7J F1 - SB7J x MoA - Failed to germinate
Neyde x SB7J - A real winner ... tallest plant in poly tunnel amazing colours
Pimenta Leopard x SB7J - Small pods not as prolific as above
Obeah F2 - MoA x Reaper - Grew constant Reaper Pheno work in progress
SB Mystery possible x BG - Loads of yellow consistent elongated pods
PA 353 - look alike Bonnet - Grew like a fantastic looking SB7J without the heat
Yellow Primo x NagaBon - Very prolific ... another tall plant
Butch T x NagaBon - Very late to flower/set only produced three pods
Beth Boyd Yellow SB - Star of the grow in shape and consistency
DWB Colombian Red - unfortunately I produced pink pods
Arkansas Peach - Grew true to form lovely pinkish colour
Aji Jobito x BBG7 (Chocolate variety) - Plenty of pods
WR Big Jim - Not long enough to win the challenge

Overall yes I am pleased so thank and to everyone who gave me seed ... thank you very much I will see you all again in 2017 with more Scotch Bonnets
Always look forward to your end of year bonnet break down John!
Is the Original SB7J still your favorite bonnet?

Mitzi said:
Wonderful! 

Will you overwinter some (all?) of the plants or scrap them all and start again from seed?  Maybe some of the poor performers would do better in their second year.

I'm going to try some SBs next year.  Fingers crossed!
Thank you Mitzi ... overwinter is something that I should do but never get around to doing. Growing a mature plant from seed is to me what this hobby is all about ... you are right about plants performing better in their second year and that is very true and there are some great bonchi specimens out there to prove that overwintering works ... I have a slightly different approach now that I have a pool of friends across the pond ... this season Justin White had kindly rejuvenated my NeBru7 seed and that's why it's good to send and source seed from abroad. Here in the UK we can't compete with heat and humidity although it's always fun trying. Look in the promotion thread for the 2017 MoA SB challenge ... this will be intresting as the variety is freely available from many vendors and it will be all about the size. Give me a shout if you need some seed

Plantguy76 said:
Always look forward to your end of year bonnet break down John!
Is the Original SB7J still your favorite bonnet?
Thanks Jason the SB7J remains in my top three ... however this season your sourced MoA Red was good evidenced by consistently shaped pods, flavour and heat .. was it a Midwestchilli variety. Beth Boyd's Yellow SB, Schnieder Farm and Foodarama Yellow were all winner in their own way

Trident chilli said:
Thanks Jason the SB7J remains in my top three ... however this season your sourced MoA Red was good evidenced by consistently shaped pods, flavour and heat .. was it a Midwestchilli variety. Beth Boyd's Yellow SB, Schnieder Farm and Foodarama Yellow were all winner in their own way
Well then maybe I should get some red moa seed form them again ether form you or Midwestchilli .
I am gonna check this moa challenge :dance:  out I only have Justin strain so need some of the regular  strain ;)

That looks like an impressive amount of plants. I'm sorry to hear your season is over. I'm excited to see 2017.

I'll check out the MOA challenge. I've yet to grow a MOA that gets true form. The taste is awesome though. I might try some other sources. I did get a cool off pheno Caribbean Red this year. I will be growing them next year. Only two pods on the whole plant that were off. Ones a 3 point and the others a 4 point. Both tasty and both on the list next year.

Thanks again for another great glog and good times.

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 89
Trident chilli said:
Thank you Mitzi ... overwinter is something that I should do but never get around to doing. Growing a mature plant from seed is to me what this hobby is all about ... you are right about plants performing better in their second year and that is very true and there are some great bonchi specimens out there to prove that overwintering works ... I have a slightly different approach now that I have a pool of friends across the pond ... this season Justin White had kindly rejuvenated my NeBru7 seed and that's why it's good to send and source seed from abroad. Here in the UK we can't compete with heat and humidity although it's always fun trying. Look in the promotion thread for the 2017 MoA SB challenge ... this will be intresting as the variety is freely available from many vendors and it will be all about the size. Give me a shout if you need some seed

That is so generous of you; thanks so much for the offer.  I've already been lucky enough to be given a few MoA SB seeds from the European Seed Train (even though I'm not properly on the train as I didn't have anything to contribute.)  I don't know whether it's isolated or open pollinated but I'm going to try it and hopefully some will germinate in January.  If they don't pop then I'll be PM'ing you.  I'm not expecting to be in with a chance of growing the biggest pod on my bedroom windowsill, though - just a nice crop for us to eat would be wonderful.  I'm trying to overwinter two habs as well (one was labelled Scots Bonnet - see my thread in the Pepper ID section.)

PaulG said:
John, you're going out in style, my friend!

Great season for you, some really awesome 
pods coming forth!

Hope you and your family enjoy the holiday season!

Thank you Paul yes really looking forward to the 2017 season ... are you ok for seed .... best wishes to you and your family
Plantguy76 said:
John I've been thinking about you lately hope you & your family are doing well.
I am excited for the 2017 season I am putting together exspecially the land of the giants moa yellow bonnet competition .
Wishing you the very best this Holliday season & a happy new year!
Thanks Jason I am just putting together a Christmas seed card for you so don't go rushing out to purchase seed yet ... All the best for the festive period for you and your family

I have been putting together my grow list but it is underdevelopment.
Some have been put on then taken off & back again with the addtion of your package I am sure it will change again as you are the Bonnet Master.
My personal seed bank was pretty much depleted so been building back up.
I plan on a scotch bonnet grow this coming season the baccatums will be grown at my mothers for her.
I am going to use Foxfarm products an a master gardener mix I get form Menards that has not let me down.
Thank you John much appreciated I will be looking forward to it.
I can send some Senegal seeds if you want some.

Trident chilli said:
Thank you Paul yes really looking forward to the 2017 season ... are you ok for seed .... best wishes to you and your family

Thanks, my friend!  We had a nice Thanksgiving.

As for seeds, I haven't been very successful with my MoA Scotch Bonnet seed
in the past.  I don't know why.  If you have a few MoA seeds to spare, I'd
be willing to give it a go again. I'd be happy to send a SASE your way.  

I'll check out the 2017 MoA Challenge thread...

Back