• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trident's "It's all about the Bonnet" 2015

I am fascinated about the "Scotch Bonnet" Continuing in the same vein as my last season where I managed to grow over thirty varieties I am again keen to promote the "Scotch Bonnet" in all it's varieties and variations ... this season some new specimens to me and some old firm favourites such as SB7J and P. Dreadie ... a big thank you to those on this forum that have helped me in sourcing seed

Elysium Oxide - Mustard (SB Faria x Douglah natural colour variation) - Meatfreak
Elysium Oxide - Rust - Greg PIC1
SB x Trinidad 7pot - Superhot Sim
ScotchBrain F3 (SB Yellow x Yellow 7 Pot Brainstrain) - Greg
NeBru7 (Trinidad Yellow x 7 Pot Jonah)
SB7J Grass Hut variation
SB7J Atomic Mushroom variation
SB Atomic - Snagglepuss
NagaBon - Snagglepuss
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Yellow - KD
SB Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture - Red - Greg
SB Foodarama - Yellow - Superhot Sim
SB Foodarama - Red
SB Jamaican Yellow - Greg
SB Peach - Matthew Arthur
SB Peach Long
SB Bahamas Orange - Superhot Sim
SB Dominican Republic Yellow - Buckeye Pepper Company
SB P. Dreadie
SB Freeport Orange - Meatfreak
SB Chocolate - Jim Duffy
SB Yellow Flats - Matthew Arthur
SB Jamaican Farmers Market
SB Trenton Farmers Market
SB True Form - Alan Boatman
SB Indian Red
SB Aji Jamaiquino - Nicholau
SB Yellow - Reimer Seeds

Every season I challenge myself with a Superhot so this year it's

Borg 9
Borg 9 Chocolate
UBSC - Brown

Ignoring the quote "less is more" I have also invested in many varieties of Jalapeño
Including "Farmers Market Potato, Hercules , Mammoth, Señorita , El Rey, Ciclon " for this seasons UK Forum Chillis Galore Jalapeño challenge all are germinating now

SB seeds and Superhots sown 19th January this is their progress to date

The Superhot's have really taken off ... Borg and UBSC phenomenal growth

jcw10tc said:
Nice looking pods.  Let me know what you think of Nebru 7.  Wanted to grow that one this year, sure looked good.  Really favor the yellows these days.  That Orange one looks nice also.  Is this the expected size or they just early pods?
Thanks Justin for looking .... I grew NeBru7 last season here is a couple of pictures

Hopefully I can get some more pods like this one ... great taste and flavour I use this variety for flakes. More than happy to send you a NeBru7 Christmas Card ...... all are early pods

Hey John, might have to take you up on that this fall.  Hopefully there will be something I am growing I could send you.  Yellow Morugas and Yellow Brain Strains were among my favorites last year.  This year I  have a lot more yellows growing.  I could see my glog someday with a similar theme as yours only might be "Its all about the yellows."

Trident chilli said:
Peach rough with bumps ... that sounds great .. I am growing P. Dreadie however I do not have his select bonnets a picture is posted earlier in my glog of his select pod like yours bumps and spikes. I also grew a Trenton Farmers Market which also was spiked ... another new variety ... please save me some seed
Small harvest of tiddlers to encourage the others to push on growth

One o'clock- NeBru7 not as yellow as I wanted
Four o'clock- PIC1 Greg Chicargo Yellow Selects
Seven o'clock- Free Port Orange
Nine o'clock- Atomic SB disappointed like romy6 that these are a yellow variation

Trident chilli said:
Peach rough with bumps ... that sounds great .. I am growing P. Dreadie however I do not have his select bonnets a picture is posted earlier in my glog of his select pod like yours bumps and spikes. I also grew a Trenton Farmers Market which also was spiked ... another new variety ... please save me some seed
Small harvest of tiddlers to encourage the others to push on growth

One o'clock- NeBru7 not as yellow as I wanted
Four o'clock- PIC1 Greg Chicargo Yellow Selects
Seven o'clock- Free Port Orange
Nine o'clock- Atomic SB disappointed like romy6 that these are a yellow variation

I put it in my freezer but if I have more like that form that plant I will sure save you some but they are OP
I have since gotten another form a different plant with a more bonnet shape but it was rough as well .
Those free port orange look like my Bahamian Goats I bet the BGS  decended form them ;)

thinking about growing freeport next year, Those early pods seem traditional hab / scotch shape. love the color.
i guess later pods will start looking a little different(like on tastynl picture)?

OCD Chilehead said:
Just caught up John. Love the looks of those pods. Those Freeport orange look tasty.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great weekend.
juanitos said:
thinking about growing freeport next year, Those early pods seem traditional hab / scotch shape. love the color.
i guess later pods will start looking a little different(like on tastynl picture)?
Thanks Chuck and Jonathan ... I sourced the seed from Stephan tastynl his Free Port Orange mature pods on his site look a lot different to mine.... at the moment I have those traditional shape pods which I am pleased to say are increasing slowly in size ... hey it's only July

Pods picked today

Great color on all of your pods, John! I too am loving the Freeport orange. I think that'll be a definite for next years grow. They DO look a lot like Bahamian goats. How's the flavor & heat on the Freeport?

-Adam

John I enjoyed reading through your glog.......You are the king of Bonnets on this site. I read through your list of seeds...quite extensive. 

Best of luck with the garden and I'll sure be keeping an eye on the future updates here.

Greg

PIC 1 said:
John I enjoyed reading through your glog.......You are the king of Bonnets on this site. I read through your list of seeds...quite extensive. 

Best of luck with the garden and I'll sure be keeping an eye on the future updates here.

Greg
Thanks for your kind words Greg .... your Jamaican Yellow ... great lobe definition but not to your standards I feel ... largest of the junior pods

another sourced from you the ScotchBrain F3

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Looks great. .. I'm behind on the scotch bonnet x brain generation. . (F2) but plan on sowing the few seeds ingotnfrom.my only pod... how is the pheno supposed to look...
This was my only pod I got before my plant snapped at the base.. (f2)
KD that's a phenomenal pod and I would be proud to grow that .... I remember you mentioning your misfortune ... did any of the cuttings take. The only other picture I have seen this season of a ScotchBrain was on MeatFreak's glog I think and his was really pimply

John I still have the bulbous moa on the vine I notice that there is a long moa that I will take a pic of guess I will call that moa yellow long
Anyway I been wondering when saving seed form a ripe pod how long should one leave the pod on the vine?
I plan on saving some seed form the long pheno as well.
I would like to in 2016 do a bonnet to bonnet cross I was thinking Trinidad Brown Scotch Bonnet X Moa Yellow
It should be some sort of red F1 bonnet form the seeds of such a cross thinking I will call it Trinidad Red Moa Scotch Bonnet if the F1s are red.
Just some of my thinking I want to do a cross some time & this might be a good project as I will be growing both next year.

Finally I can show you "Matthew Arthur's Peach SB" which has now matured to a beautiful colour ....

Two reasonable days of weather has allowed me to grab a few pods from the poly tunnel today ... clockwise MA Peach, FreePort Orange, NeBru7, Greg PIC 1 Jamaican Yellow and Elysium Oxide Mustard Tiddlers

One variety that I am really looking forward too this season is the Trinidad SB x 7Pot throwing off many pheno' these are the most interesting so far ...

Finally Borg and Chocolate Borg

not bad for fickle British weather and I think the shapes are about right for tiddlers

Looking good John :dance: 
I am getting ready to make some Moa Yellow Scotch Bonnet Jelly :fireball: 
I also found some Jamaican Reds forzen in my moms freezer  :P 
I am glad your doing so well ;) 

Trident chilli said:
Finally I can show you "Matthew Arthur's Peach SB" which has now matured to a beautiful colour ....
Two reasonable days of weather has allowed me to grab a few pods from the poly tunnel today ... clockwise MA Peach, FreePort Orange, NeBru7, Greg PIC 1 Jamaican Yellow and Elysium Oxide Mustard Tiddlers
One variety that I am really looking forward too this season is the Trinidad SB x 7Pot throwing off many pheno' these are the most interesting so far ...
Finally Borg and Chocolate Borg
not bad for fickle British weather and I think the shapes are about right for tiddlers
Very nice looking pods John. Those Trinidad SB x 7pot look tasty. Are they showing any color? How do the Arthur's taste?

Thanks for sharing

OCD Chilehead said:
Very nice looking pods John. Those Trinidad SB x 7pot look tasty. Are they showing any color? How do the Arthur's taste?
Thanks for sharing
Chuck the Trinidad x 7pot has plenty of lime green pods but as yet none have started to show any colour. Plenty of gnarly shapes ... time will tell

Matthew Arthur's Peach SB which I tasted tonight made up in heat rather than in flavour. I didn't get that fruity aroma compared to other SB's however the heat lasted longer than expected. I don't know Matthew Arthur but I understand that he allows nature to take its course and the bees work between his plants creating varieties such as Wartryx and Yellow Monkey Face ... Peach SB only he knows it's possible parentage
Managed between the rain showers to try and rid the tiddlers from the poly tunnel. Weather in the UK continues to be poor we are just not getting any true spells of solid sunshine. Most of the pods want to colour up given the chance ...

Clockwise - not West Indian Red but Yellow, Reimer Seeds SB Yellow very disappointed nothing like the vendors catalogue picture, Free Port Orange, SB7J, MA Peach, ScotchBrain, Atomic SB and in the centre Aji Jamiquino

Reading the glogs my ScotchBrain's were too true SB compared to others growing this variety ... pleased to notice this one waiting in the wings

Back