• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2011/2012 Grow log....

Over the coming days I will be attempting to log my grow so far.

It won't be as big and spectacular as most peoples here (in fact it isn't big or spectacular) but I am proud of what I have done so far with my very limited space and love my chilli's (I am sure) as much as the next person.

I have had a few small problems so far but a Massive thank you has to go out for the help so far from people like Nova, Gas, JR, Micca, Wildfire in helping me get started on growing something other then long red cayennes or other common types and answering my many questions and the generous man JR with his huge contribution to my seed stocks.

Like I said this will be an ongoing process to get this thread up to speed so bear with me while I populate the pages over the coming days ...

First of all, let me say I feel your pain, Tripp. I hope your recovery from the
tumble is swift and uncomplicated! All I can say is think about how good it
will feel when it stops hurtin'! Chill with a couple of your fav bevs, dude! That
being said, your pod pics look like still life portraits, man! So stunning just
sitting against the gray background. Great simple composition for great effect!

Okay, friend, have a good week and good luck with your peppers and 'mystery
project'. Check ya out later!

First of all, let me say I feel your pain, Tripp. I hope your recovery from the
tumble is swift and uncomplicated! All I can say is think about how good it
will feel when it stops hurtin'! Chill with a couple of your fav bevs, dude! That
being said, your pod pics look like still life portraits, man! So stunning just
sitting against the gray background. Great simple composition for great effect!

Okay, friend, have a good week and good luck with your peppers and 'mystery
project'. Check ya out later!

Thanks for stopping by Paul and thanks for the compliments on the photography and words of encouragement in general. Cheers Trippa

Wow, made it through all ten pages. gorgeous photos and very impressive.
Looks like you have a great pad too... Looking forward to more pictures and recipes...
Regards, Chris

Wow, made it through all ten pages. gorgeous photos and very impressive.
Looks like you have a great pad too... Looking forward to more pictures and recipes...
Regards, Chris

Thanks for stopping by bro and for the compliments.
Photography, Cooking, and Organic growing/Chilli's are all a work in progress and I have a lot of work to do on all three to get them to the levels I want them at. But little by little I edge towards it (trouble is little by little the goals in my mind I want to achieve also increase :D )

Wow!! Just munched my first couple of wild Brazil pods from pepperlover!! Has to be one of the most refreshing taste and nicest blast of heat I had from any chilli variety yet. Could taste it after a beer half an hour later. Like skittles! !
Hey does anyone know how long pollen stays viable for once shed from a flower and what the best way to store it is???
Time for an update soon as well. Its been a while!! Cheers Trippa!

Wow!! Just munched my first couple of wild Brazil pods from pepperlover!! Has to be one of the most refreshing taste and nicest blast of heat I had from any chilli variety yet. Could taste it after a beer half an hour later. Like skittles! !
Hey does anyone know how long pollen stays viable for once shed from a flower and what the best way to store it is???
Time for an update soon as well. Its been a while!! Cheers Trippa!

Hey, Tripp! I think pollen is viable for quite awhile if it's not wet.
I suspect a dry air tight container would work. I'll do a little more
looking on that.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5831444_store-pollen.html
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/8593-storing-pollen-advice.html

These are just a couple of sites. Near as I can figure after a cursory
look is fresher is better, but viable for a couple of weeks to several
months. The sites contain info about how to store, generally in freezer.

Good luck searching out the info you need, bro!

Thanks Paul.

Yeah there seems to be a few differing views on pollen in general (with the fresh is best line the most common), I was hoping that I could get some first hand experience from people here on chilli pollen specifically as to what they have found.

Its not a big deal but I am attempting to cross a few plants at the moment and thought how much easier it would be to collect a little baggy of pollen and use it across a longer period so as to get the best chance of getting a pod to set without having to collect more pollen each time. (If that makes sense??)

Surely if you snap froze absolutely dry pollen it would stay viable for years?? Now where did I put my liquid nitrogen :D ;)

Thanks Paul.

Yeah there seems to be a few differing views on pollen in general (with the fresh is best line the most common), I was hoping that I could get some first hand experience from people here on chilli pollen specifically as to what they have found.

Its not a big deal but I am attempting to cross a few plants at the moment and thought how much easier it would be to collect a little baggy of pollen and use it across a longer period so as to get the best chance of getting a pod to set without having to collect more pollen each time. (If that makes sense??)

Surely if you snap froze absolutely dry pollen it would stay viable for years?? Now where did I put my liquid nitrogen :D ;)

I think that is a great idea. Even if it only lasts one season, that would be a bonus.
Don't you keep the Liquid N in your tool cabinet?

Good article and direct mention of Capsicum Species Pollen

Seed storage. Research has been in progress to enhance seed longevity in fruits, vegetables and ornamentals by manipulating pre-harvest factors, moisture content, temperature, oxygen etc. Studies have also been carried out on genetic stability, change in physiological and biochemical parameters in stored seed germplasm.
Among fruits, seeds of papaya, lemon, kagzi lime, mandarin, citrus rootstocks, ber/jujube, mango and phalsa have been studied for their storage qualities. Papaya seeds were found viable for short periods (6 months) under ambient conditions, but their longevity was extended to four years when stored with silica gel, which increased further by storage at 10°C. Leaching of soluble sugars and free amino acids was found to increase and dehydrogenase activity decreased due to ageing of seeds.
Seed viability of kagzi lime was retained for 5 years when stored in polyethylene and aluminium foil laminated bags at 5°C or -18°C with imbibed storage at 5°C. Storage of fruits at 5°C or - 15°C was also found to preserve viability for 120 days. Seed drying was found to reduce germination of seeds of different citrus rootstocks. In Coorg mandarin, seed was found to lose viability rapidly under ambient conditions, and none germinated after 30 days. This was accompanied by increased leaching of soluble sugars, amino acids and decreased dehydrogenase activity in seeds. In ber, the seed viability was lost rapidly under ambient conditions while it was retained for 4 years at 5°C and -18°C. Seeds were killed by freezing when stored in paper bags at - 18°C. Mango seeds exhibited recalcitrant storage behaviour. In cvs. 'Alphonso' and 'Dashehari', seed longevity was extended from 15 days to 365 days by imbibed storage at 15°C. Phalsa seeds remained viable for 5 years at 5°C and -18°C. Seeds of grape cv. 'Bangalore Blue' could be preserved for 2 years at 5°C and - 18°C. Dormancy could be eliminated by treating seeds with gibberellic acid (2000 ppm).
Vegetable seeds exhibit orthodox storage behaviour and are easy to conserve. Genetic differences for seed longevity were observed in onion, chilli, cauliflower and brinjal, and classified as short, moderate and long term for storage under ambient conditions. Seed maturity which affects the storage life varied from several days to weeks in different vegetable crops. Seeds from immature fruits did not germinate in chilli cvs. Pant C-1 and Arka Lohit. Seed longevity and vigour were higher in seeds harvested at ripe to overripe stages which coincided with the presence of high quantity of total proteins and free amino acids in seeds. Drying at higher temperature (40°C) damaged the seeds and resulted in low percentage of germination in okra. High percentage of germination was obtained in chilli when fruits were stored in cloth, paper and polyethylene bags. The incidence of insect attack was more in polyethylene bag-stored fruits.
Effect of antioxidants and inhibitors on storage life of seeds: Effect of chemical treatment with certain antioxidants and inhibitors has been studied in seeds of radish, onion, French bean and cowpea. In radish, 2, 4-dinitrophenol at 0.08% significantly reduced germination while other chemicals like EDTA, borax, potassium metabisulphate (KMS), oxalic acid, ascorbic acid, abscisic acid (ABA), maleic hydrazide (MH), glucose and polyethylene glycol (PEG) preserved the seed viability. Germination of French bean seeds was affected by all the chemicals except glucose. Abscic acid (ABA) and maleic hydrazide (MH) treatment in onion significantly reduced the germination. Similarly, seed germinability was affected by all the chemicals in cowpea.
Studies on seed storage under controlled temperatures showed that seed could be stored for 10 years in onion, radish, French bean and cluster bean, 8 years in bell pepper and watermelon, 7 years in okra and 4 years in brinjal, tomato, long melon, amaranthus, bottlegourd and pumpkin by storing seeds at 5°C and - 18°C. Polyethylene aluminium foil laminated bags and glass containers gave better results than paper containers, especially at sub-zero temperatures, for seed storage.
It was observed when seeds of bell pepper, chilli, lablab bean, okra, onion and watermelon were packed in aluminium foil laminated bags under partial vacuum and stored under ambient conditions, the percentage of germination and seedling vigour were greater. The percentage of germination was higher in nitrogen atmosphere than in carbon dioxide in muskmelon, okra and onion, while with bell pepper it was high with cabron dioxide. Seedling vigour was not affected.
Studies on physiological and biochemical changes in stored seeds indicated that the electrical conductivity, soluble sugars and free amino acid contents were greater in leachates of ambient stored seeds than the low temperature stored seeds. Similarly, dehydrogenase activity decreased in seeds stored under ambient conditions, accompanied by loss of seed germinability and seedling vigour.
Preliminary studies indicated possibilities of conserving orthodox seeds in suitable liquid embedding medium for long term at ambient temperature avoiding refrigeration. Pollen storage:Studies in papaya and citrus have shown that pollen could be kept viable for durations ranging from 2 to 6 months in domestic refrigerators at temperature ranging from 5°C to - 18°C. With the establishment of constant temperature regime, pollen under low temperature conditions could be kept viable beyond 6 to 8 months at - 18°C to - 20°C, but with a gradual decline in viability tested under in vitro conditions. Freeze dried pollen stored at - 20°C retained viability and fertility upto 14 months of storage in papaya. Uniform low temperature (either at + 5°C or at - 20°C) was found to be very critical for retaining good viability for short and medium term storage. The decline in viability is more rapid at 5°C than at - 20°C in pollen of different cultivators. Pollen samples have been stored at - 20°C in the genebank since 1992. Field pollination's using low temperature-stored pollen of papaya, citrus, grape, tomato, brinjal, rose and gladiolus resulted in satisfactory fruit and seed set with reduced frequency as compared to control. Seeds set through stored pollen germinated rather slowly as compared to seeds obtained through open pollination, indicating loss of seed vigour. Mortality rates were quite substantial at seedling storage, which impeded complete establishment of plants.
More than 400 pollen samples of 26 different species belonging to fruits, vegetables and ornamental crops have been successfully cryopreserved in liquid nitrogen for ten years in 5 cryogenic containers. It was observed that in almost all the crop species a good measure of viability and fertility could be retained by storage in liquid nitrogen. In fruits such as papaya and grape, pollen have been successfully cryopreserved for 7 years retaining good viability which induced fruit and seed set when used in hybridization programmes. Citrus and mango pollen have been kept viable under cryogenic conditions for durations ranging from 1 to 4 years and pollen fertility checks were successful after cryostorage.
Among vegetable crops, tomato and egg plant pollen have been cryopreserved for durations as long as 8 to 9 years, respectively. Cryopreserved pollen responded to fertility tests carried out through field pollination exceedingly well, producing seeds similar to those from fresh pollen. Onion pollen cryopreserved for 6 years emerged successfully when tested for fertility under field conditions. Capsicum pollen kept for a duration of 2.5 years in liquid nitrogen was viable in vitro and fertile. Rose pollen was cryopreserved successfully for one year. In all crops tested, no decline in viability was observed.
Development of viability assays for stored pollen: The pollen storage laboratory has optimised a number of procedures for testing pollen viability in vitro.
i) In vitro germination in liquid media-modified hanging crop technique, germination in liquid media-modified cellophane technique;
ii) In vitro germination of pollen tubes in stellar material;
iii) Influence of magnetic stimulus to accelerate germination rates in vitro;
iv) Instant pollen tube formation in an acidic media; and
v) Use of fluorescent dyes to index viability.​
Results of the viability tests indicated that in general there is a very strong direct correlation between pollen germination and seed set, in some crops, and in some cases an inverse correlation was found between germination and seed set.
In crops like papaya, citrus (trifoliate orange), banana and tomato, breeders have utilized the pollen storage, protocols developed at IIHR in their breeding programmes.

You are right. You need liquid N!

Right time for my Photo blog/update. I don't really update much information on here I have come to realise its more a photo reel of my pods as they ripen. So be it though I am selfish like that :)

Well I have some shots of a few old favourites plus some new varieties (for me) and I have finally got a pimenta de neyde after 5 months of waiting since the first flower and then the decimation of some type (insect/mite attack) which threatened to derail my whole grow and still effects it to this very daym, but I gave up on fighting the badies and instead decided to boost the plants with worm juice and extra calcium and silica and fulvic acid and kelp and I think it has helped immensely especially with pod set.

I haven't helped myself with some lazy potting up (or not repotting some plants at all) with plants that have needed it but I have neither had the time or (unfortunately) the space left to put any larger pots.
Still I am getting some pods setting on the rootbound plants so I can't complain. (Maybe this easter weekend will be the time for some potting and mixing freeing of some poor little plants)

Anyway enough rambling .... on with the photos (sorry in advance for the repetition from earlier posts which may be present in the next few photos)

IMG_3213.JPG

First on the catwalk we have a 'Wild Brazil' from pepper lover ....now one of my all time favourites ... amazing flavour

IMG_3218.JPG

Another new pod on the block ...Miss 'Trinidad Bean' (yet to taste a ripe pod but they are a vigourous plant and set pods easilly)

IMG_3220.JPG

Another new to me but well known to the majority my 'Red Habanero' (which are yet to ripen and are still 'Green Habanero' :D )

IMG_3221.JPG

The standout 'Chocolate Bhut Jolokia'

IMG_3231.JPG

The unkempt 'Amish Bush" Prolific little compact plants ... another yet to try

IMG_3237.JPG

Come on down Miss .... "Fatalii" ... desperate to be potted up to so she can get heaps more roots

IMG_3245.JPG

The miss congeniatlity award winner ... 'Bahamian Goat' ... always a stunner with her orange appearance (not disimilar to the fake tanned surfers paradise girls, although with more personality)
also notice the broken branch... 2-3 small pods went with it ... note to self ... 'carrots while healthy don't really increase your night vision all that much'

More pics to come once I can post more pics again in a while....

Great article,
I guess I'll have to throw my old cannabis seeds away!...................JUST KIDDIN!

Don't do that ... just scatter them in the easement you share with the neighbour ;) :D see if he notices

Those Bahamian Goats are stunning, I've picked a couple so far but the 1st few were kind of small. Good taste, though. I probably should have pinched the buds off but they were hiddin under the leaves and before I knew it there were pods growing. I'm hoping on keeping a few plants . They'll be a nice addition to and "orange" colored tropical hot sauce.
That Amish Bush looks larger than compact, I'm growing them also, for the first time. I'm hoping the taste is different than the usual "bird" flavor.

Hmmm.........scatter my "island flowers" in the easement.........hmm.........ha

Interesting..... Mine never has any seeds. Heehee

Have been waiting on some pics Trips. I like them more than the growing info.
Cheers Pr0digal!! (So do I but I am biased plus they are also easier then typing :) )

very nice photos... love the bahamian goat!
Thanks for stopping by seaman and thanks for the compliment

Those Bahamian Goats are stunning, I've picked a couple so far but the 1st few were kind of small. Good taste, though. I probably should have pinched the buds off but they were hiddin under the leaves and before I knew it there were pods growing. I'm hoping on keeping a few plants . They'll be a nice addition to and "orange" colored tropical hot sauce.
That Amish Bush looks larger than compact, I'm growing them also, for the first time. I'm hoping the taste is different than the usual "bird" flavor.

Hmmm.........scatter my "island flowers" in the easement.........hmm.........ha
Thanks Greg!! Yeah there are some variable sizes I have noticed with the Bahamian Goats but they sure love to grow and I have basically had zero flower drop from them.

IMG_3253.JPG

My first Pimenta De Neyde pod to set after such a long wait....looks like there are plenty of flowers setting at the moment so maybe I will have a few to play with by the end of May??

IMG_3262.JPG

A Chacoense X?? Not sure but kinda cool looking purple pods and white flowers with purple tips

IMG_3270.JPG

A Trinidad Scorpion Marouga Blend (Excuse the next few photos of me repeating these pods but they are freaking cool I think)

IMG_3271.JPG

And Again

IMG_3289.JPG

2nd to last

IMG_3283.JPG

Last one (sorry about that!!)

IMG_3294.JPG

Scotch Bonnet TFM

IMG_3296.JPG

More Scotch Bonnet TFM's

Thanks for stopping by everyone!!!

Back