• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2011/2012 Grow log....

Over the coming days I will be attempting to log my grow so far.

It won't be as big and spectacular as most peoples here (in fact it isn't big or spectacular) but I am proud of what I have done so far with my very limited space and love my chilli's (I am sure) as much as the next person.

I have had a few small problems so far but a Massive thank you has to go out for the help so far from people like Nova, Gas, JR, Micca, Wildfire in helping me get started on growing something other then long red cayennes or other common types and answering my many questions and the generous man JR with his huge contribution to my seed stocks.

Like I said this will be an ongoing process to get this thread up to speed so bear with me while I populate the pages over the coming days ...

What, no one is even gonna take a stab in the dark? :lol:

Wish I could help, Trips, but I wouldn't have the foggiest what it is. Some of my plants get it too sometimes but as it seems to be displeasing to the eye more than anything, I just leave it.

What, no one is even gonna take a stab in the dark? :lol:

Wish I could help, Trips, but I wouldn't have the foggiest what it is. Some of my plants get it too sometimes but as it seems to be displeasing to the eye more than anything, I just leave it.

Cheers Gas good to know that I am not the only one with this weird thing and that it does simply seem to be cosmetic rather then anything else as I had thought. Cheers bro.

Hey, nice work on the pods too, BTW. The Yellow 7 is looking pretty gnarly. :cool:

My Bonda Ma Jacques has flowered twice now and still not a single pod. :mope: Really keen to give 'em a go as tried growing 'em my first season but never got one to germ.

Some nice healthy plants you got going there, man!

Just a quick random update. Had my first Bishops Crown off the rogue bishop today on a smoked chicken, tomato, epicure mainland cheese and black pepper sandwich. Awesome Combo. Bishop's have a great flavour I think although a little underwhelming in the heat department.

IMG_20111209_192632.jpg

IMG_20111209_192644.jpg

Also can't resist putting my Bonda pizza on here from the other night. Basic but friggin tasty. the Bonda has such an amazing flavour and the heat is perfect for pizza

IMG_20111203_191614.jpg

I should actually take some actual photos with my actual proper camera but the files are much to large anyway and its simple to upload from the phone. I will one of these days take some decent shots ....

Just a quick random update. Had my first Bishops Crown off the rogue bishop today on a smoked chicken, tomato, epicure mainland cheese and black pepper sandwich. Awesome Combo. Bishop's have a great flavour I think although a little underwhelming in the heat department.

IMG_20111209_192632.jpg

IMG_20111209_192644.jpg
The heat of my Bishop's Hat pods was highly variable. Pods that developed in the middle of a heat wave last season produced the my mouth is on fire effect. Those that developed during the cooler months were barely warm. The plant being huge and wilting between almost every watering during the hotter periods probably helped.

Also can't resist putting my Bonda pizza on here from the other night. Basic but friggin tasty. the Bonda has such an amazing flavour and the heat is perfect for pizza

IMG_20111203_191614.jpg
Did the Bonda retain any citrus tones on the pizza? I'm looking forward to fresh C. Chinense pods on pizza.

I should actually take some actual photos with my actual proper camera but the files are much to large anyway and its simple to upload from the phone. I will one of these days take some decent shots ....
The photos are crisp and not focussed on the background. A secret is to get the blasted thing to focus on the subject. It took many attempts to get my regular camera to focus on a flower I took a shot of earlier today.

Yeah harry they retain most of that great bonda flavour but do lose a bit of that fresh heat due to the fats/oils on that particular pizza (semi dried tomatoes, cheese, chilli crusted salami add that oil) but great flavour still there for sure

Hmmm I have an issue which I have hopefully just remedied and doesn't repeat on any of my other plants. Yellowing of veins on random leaves (top bottom, middle wherever) and soon after they simply fall off. Particularly bad on 2 plants (my pimenta De Neyde and Blondie which happen to be beside each other) but it is repeating randomly on a few other plants as well.(it has happened quite quickly as well in the past 1-2 weeks blondie has gone from very healthy to almost bald)
They shouldn't be lacking in nutrients as they have a good amount of slow release ferts in their containers, and just to be sure I gave them a light fish emulsion, and foliar spray with Seasol, Neem and my Ocean Mist fert (4.5-1.5-2 or something like that) and repotted them to see if it may have been due to being root bound as they were due for a re-pot.
However a couple of other plants not due for a re-pot have also showed (less severe symptoms) some signs of it as well, and on close inspection a few of them appeared to have some sort of mite/bug tucked in to the point where the leaf stem joins the actual leaf (ie where it branches out into a leaf). I think maybe this was/is the cause so I got the neem out (have used it once this season about 2 months ago) and gave them a good going over.

Will now look at ordering some green lacewings to continue the fight over the holiday period and hopefully that is the end of the tail of woe. Otherwise with the close proximity of all of my plants I am in for a tough time of it.

Will have to wait and see on the results in the coming days, hopefully one of the things I have done can fix the issue for now or for good. Plenty of pods coming though with my Jelepeno's, Cheiro Do Norte, Torro Rosso's, Choc Habs and NTR's finally starting to pod up nicely (Amongst others).

I have a solid week of repotting starting today to do after work to get them all going nicely for Christmas.

From having little to no problems I now have one big problem which seems to be now affecting 6-7 well established plants and shows no sign of stopping. It is shedding leaves of previously extremely healthy plants and it is not simply affecting the top/bottom or middle leaves but seemingly all leaves. Newest growth at this stage seems normal and some of the plants affected continue to flower and are still producing pods.

Some people might say overwatering which can't be discounted (due to heavy rain 2-3 days ago upsetting my normal watering schedule) but I highly doubt it is the cause.

Take a look at these photos and please if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears as I am worried this is going to decimate my whole crop .

IMG_20111213_181037.jpg

IMG_20111213_181046.jpg

The leaves are from many different plants but all show the same symptoms

IMG_20111213_181059.jpg

IMG_20111213_181107.jpg

Any ideas what is causing this at all even stabs in the dark please post.

I am now really starting to freak out that this is bacterial leaf spot .... :tear:

Could be wrong but I wouldn't start worrying about BLS until you actually start seeing spots (specifically black spots with yellow halos). ;)

Damn you, Trips, just had a look at my plants and one of them is doing the same thing as yours (yellowing on random leaves and touched a few and they dropped). You jinxed me or something! :lol:

I'm also in Brisbane with exactly the same leaf yellowing. Plants are otherwise very healthy and still pumping out pods, although the smaller plants are definitely suffering more than the bigger ones. I'm guessing over-watering from all the rain we've had and the smaller plants can't deal with it as easily as their bigger brothers.

I am now beginning to think it is one of the many Mosaic Virus' .... I f*&^%king hope not or all my work has gone out the window for the season :(

You're as bad as me... the first sign of something unknown and that's it, the season's over! :lol:

Seriously though, I wouldn't stress too hard thinking it's a virus or something at this point. Do you know how many times I've thought my plants have had a virus? About ten zillion. And guess how many times my plants have actually had one?

Bagel. ;)

If only one of my plants was doing it I wouldn't be as worried as I am. But the fact it seemed to have spread from one plant to another has me really worried

Are leaves curling? Down or up? Mis-shapen?
Any signs of bugs, like honeydew, ants, mold? Never had whitefly or mites that I know of, but thinking that's more common in the humid regions like QLD, so no personal experience here.

Wet weather can bring bugs. Had a wet day in perth, and after heaps of ant activity and all my seedlings covered in aphids today. They were aphid free before.
Thinking in your case maybe whitefly?
Need to look at the symptoms shown and maybe signs of bugs before saying it's a virus or fungus.

Pablo might be onto something in mentioning whitefly. Have you seen any of the little shits hanging around? I've had a bitch of a time with 'em this season! They seem to favour my Praetermissums but now that they've totally destroyed all but one of them (like literally! :(), they've started hanging out more and more around my other plants. After thinking about it a bit, I'm pretty sure the damage to the plant I mentioned before--having the same symptoms as yours--resembles the damage done to my Praetermissums (only ten times worse on them due to their delicate/sensitive foliage).

It would also explain the blackening on the undersides of that leaf you mentioned earlier as mold... apparently something which whitefly also cause.

Yeah I have seen some white-flies around (hardly any though especially since my spider population has started growing) ... hence my recent and coming weekly attacks with neem and seaweed extract to try to ward off the little pricks ....

Ok time for an update. Leaf drop (and new growth has stopped on some as well or fallen off) is continuing to pester me but I am hoping that a 3 week (1 per week) attack with neem and seaweed extract will cure the ills (which I am 60% sure and 100% hopeful are caused by whitefly/bugs rather then anything else)

This is more of a pictorial update as I am in the middle of re-potting some long overdue plants.

You'll have to excuse the quickly taken shots of dubious quality again and also the fact that my plants are needing a decent drink in some photos

IMG_20111217_165931-1.jpg

Choc Hab pod (shitty quality due to the upload issue)

IMG_20111217_170116.jpg

Hot Fish (From JR) Pods

IMG_20111217_170240.jpg

2 Dark Silhouettes of my Jalapeno HTM (which is going gang busters in production just needs a decent size pot now)

IMG_20111217_170130.jpg

Torro De Rosso (Bulls Horn) my only sweet var.

IMG_20111217_170025.jpg

Older plants

IMG_20111217_170037.jpg

Yellow 7 pot/pods

IMG_20111217_170050.jpg

Rogue Bishop Crown pods

IMG_20111217_170100.jpg

My Bonda Ma Jacques Pods

IMG_20111217_170313.jpg

Younger plants (there are 25-30 plants in there amongst that lot which will be whittled down to half that amount once I give a few away for Christmas)

IMG_20111217_170514.jpg

Cheiro Do Norte Pods

The pods are coming in nicely. Your Bonda's are looking ready,
I packed a bottle with those and filled it with some good olive oil.. Very tsaty results...

Greg

Back