• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Trippa said:
I select the most vigorous once they get to 2nd-3rd-4th true leaves (depends how many seedlings are in the pot)and cull from there (good chance at this stage I find to take the culled plants (cut off at ground level) and chuck them straight in water and leave them on a window sill... They take root very easily like this and nothing is lost and these seedlings then make good gifts)
I'm going to have try rooting some cuttings or something.  I had no idea peppers were easy to root.  Do you find limbs root as easily as these culled plants?

Trippa said:
Greg It takes all my will power every year not to start more and more seedlings especially when I see the Northern hemisphere blogs starting up!! Cheers man!
Lol! You too! I feel the same way here looking at the Southern Hemisphere glogs in November...

One of my favorite parts of the grow! So awesome having folks from way down south on here so we get the best of both worlds year round! C'mon...show up those first and second sets of true leaves that should be peaking out about now! I love the ???? X ???? F1...you should rename it WTF1?

stickman said:
Lol! You too! I feel the same way here looking at the Southern Hemisphere glogs in November...
Haha ... I think all of us feel that pang of envy when someone says they put down some new seeds Rick ... Its the chilli growers curse.
GnomeGrown said:

:woohoo:
Good luck, Trippa!
Cheers Gnomegrown a good dose of luck is always welcomed in my grow!!
stc3248 said:
One of my favorite parts of the grow! So awesome having folks from way down south on here so we get the best of both worlds year round! C'mon...show up those first and second sets of true leaves that should be peaking out about now! I love the ???? X ???? F1...you should rename it WTF1?
Cheers Shane !! Yeah I always love seeing the Various climates and challenges of the world wide grow circle on here .
First leaves are slowly showing themselves but I must admit they have been a little slow ....so today I gave them a drink of seaweed and gogo juice probiotics ... And a nice day in some warm outside sun with a gentle breeze ... Should kick start them a little I think.

An Orange Rocoto all the way from the pacific north west of the US hooked last night ... Thanking you PaulG!!
Added some new seeds to the Germination chamber today after a 12hr presoak in chamomile tea. Put down some additional Primo x Bhut yellow f2's as insurance policies in case the others don't eventuate. Also did the same with some Nebru seeds.
I also put down some south African Reapers from Lourens and added a little bit of the Congo into the grow in the form of Congo Red from Kingdenniz .... Big cheers to the international support!!

Hola from another southener ...

after some really nice and sunny 20-25º days (65-75f) ... we got a cold snap yday ... it was snowing and cold as hell in Santiago :D

glad I had the kids all inside ... it will freeze again tonight - but I hope thats it for this year... I really want to get my ebb-and-flow system going outside ... I have one with 2 buckets running (100% manual, both ebbing and flooding by yours truely :-) and its getting old fast ......

so if no further coldfront is on the radar by aug.10th, they will have to play in the garden for the rest of the season...

cheers 2 all, Al 

Trippa said:
No limbs are a little harder then the main stems
I find
I think I'll try a new twist with the woody stems; soak in water
for a couple of days to soften up, then into some rooting powder/gel
and dirt.  The Manzano branch I tried to root in water never took root.  
But after I dipped it in Rootone and put in soil, it started putting out
new growth in short order.

I think the water works great with the green shoots.

Glad the Rocoto hooked for you, Tristen.  Someday I want to grow
one on the ground and see just how big they will get.  Mine are at
5-6 feet (about 1.7m) in 7-g.allon Root Pouches

Al-from-Chile said:
Hola from another southener ...

after some really nice and sunny 20-25º days (65-75f) ... we got a cold snap yday ... it was snowing and cold as hell in Santiago :D

glad I had the kids all inside ... it will freeze again tonight - but I hope thats it for this year... I really want to get my ebb-and-flow system going outside ... I have one with 2 buckets running (100% manual, both ebbing and flooding by yours truely :-) and its getting old fast ......

so if no further coldfront is on the radar by aug.10th, they will have to play in the garden for the rest of the season...

cheers 2 all, Al 
I don't ever envisage seeing snow living here Al.  In fact just yesterday I did a mini harvest off my over winters and got a handful of ripe pods
A few bahamian Goat Peppers and some NTR's
PaulG said:
I think I'll try a new twist with the woody stems; soak in water
for a couple of days to soften up, then into some rooting powder/gel
and dirt.  The Manzano branch I tried to root in water never took root.  
But after I dipped it in Rootone and put in soil, it started putting out
new growth in short order.

I think the water works great with the green shoots.

Glad the Rocoto hooked for you, Tristen.  Someday I want to grow
one on the ground and see just how big they will get.  Mine are at
5-6 feet (about 1.7m) in 7-g.allon Root Pouches
Cheers Paul!

That may have some merit, and could somewhat stop the shock of putting straight into soil?  

Yeah 2 Rocotos have hooked but strangely have stalled??  Still haven't popped there heads up yet, I hope they are not rotting off at the seed.  Last 2 sepia serpents have come up with slight to heavy damage obviously from rot around the seed casing, so either the Jiffy Pellets have been to wet/warm and/or there was some fungi in the water I watered them with last (even though it was straight out of ceramic purifier)??

I hope it doesn't happen on any others

So I think my germination chamber has some inconsistent heat spots ... Moved the stalled Orange Rocotos to another section and it literally started moving again within a few hours ...

PaulG said:
Isn't it great when the fix is simple!
That's good news, brother!
Yeah it sure is Paul!! (Truth be told 99% of fixes are simple its actually finding what's wrong in the first place which often takes time... And the fact we all often look for the most difficult reasons something is happening takes us the long way round. ;) I know I am guilty of this :D )
I always need to remind myself of the K.I.S.S principal ;)
I do usually rotate my jiffy pellet positioning after the first 10 days just to make sure but I hadn't shifted that one as it had popped so I assumed it was happy where it was ... Never assume anything :)

So I didn't soak 3 Hot Fish seeds and just plonked them straight into the existing Hot Fish Pepper jiffy pellet that was in the germination chamber but which hadn't hooked and this morning 3 hooks have appeared.  This obviously proves to me that the conditions before hand were the issue and not the seeds.  Might also show that soaking certain varieties seeds isn't necessary or conducive to good germination.??  

Hard to say though because everything else bar 3 varieties have popped at closing in on 90% currently (many subsequent hooks appearing once the jiffy is removed from the heated germination chamber after the initial sprout)

I'd say the same is true of the Manzano/Rocoto chiles. I pre-soaked about 30 seeds this January, and about half sprouted, but the cotyledons rotted before they got out of the seed coat. Shane says he has better germination by just putting the seeds in the growing medium. Lesson learned... :rolleyes:

stickman said:
I'd say the same is true of the Manzano/Rocoto chiles. I pre-soaked about 30 seeds this January, and about half sprouted, but the cotyledons rotted before they got out of the seed coat. Shane says he has better germination by just putting the seeds in the growing medium. Lesson learned... :rolleyes:
Yeah its interesting isn't it.  Maybe with the Rocoto/Manzano it has to do with the fact the plants genetics come from cooler and often drier climates then the Majority of chilli's and so subsequently don't necessarily like as hot or humid conditions to sprout in or to stay as moist??  Its a theory anyway ;) :D

I had tried to germinate Giant Mexican Rocotos earlier this year and got nothing with two different types of presoak plus a direct-to-mix sow.  Zero germination.  Then I bought red, yellow, and orange Manzanos from Trade Winds and just stuck them in the germination mix and got good germination for all three.  Seed quality?  Germinating temperatures?  I don't know.  I lost many of those due to neglect while I was away, but still have 5 reds and 2 yellows.  (Worms ate the orange.)

Sawyer said:
I had tried to germinate Giant Mexican Rocotos earlier this year and got nothing with two different types of presoak plus a direct-to-mix sow.  Zero germination.  Then I bought red, yellow, and orange Manzanos from Trade Winds and just stuck them in the germination mix and got good germination for all three.  Seed quality?  Germinating temperatures?  I don't know.  I lost many of those due to neglect while I was away, but still have 5 reds and 2 yellows.  (Worms ate the orange.)
To tell the truth I think a lot of times people also tend to harvest the pods a little early (as they would simply for eating a pod) and I always find for the best germination if you want to save seeds you should always let them go over ripe on the plant and then harvest for seeds ...not saying this was the case with you but I do think with certain varieties where it may be difficult to tell the actual ripeness of a pod especially it is actually a quite common occurrence.  I Know Brown varieties, and white varieties in particular I have seen many people say how much trouble they have with germination and I believe 80% of those issues are probably due to this phenomenon (in my opinion) 

Back