• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Congrats on the new additions Trippa!!! I did some searching for Cherry Peppers for you for your stuffing, pickling and popping....they all look pretty much the same. Red Hot Cherry is the most common name. I grew some out last year and they were good. Are you growing any Bishops Crowns...they were my first though. They're kinda adjustable heat wise too. The flesh is sweet with almost no bite and the placenta adds some spice. Looking forward to watching yours grow brotha! 

I've been growing Hungarian Almapaprika, and they look like they could fill the same niche. This was today's pull from 2 plants, and I only took a little less than a third of the pods on them...
SANY0037_zpsb9c9adb9.jpg

They're not the hottest pepper out there, but have a bit of a "zing" to them.

stc3248 said:
Congrats on the new additions Trippa!!! I did some searching for Cherry Peppers for you for your stuffing, pickling and popping....they all look pretty much the same. Red Hot Cherry is the most common name. I grew some out last year and they were good. Are you growing any Bishops Crowns...they were my first though. They're kinda adjustable heat wise too. The flesh is sweet with almost no bite and the placenta adds some spice. Looking forward to watching yours grow brotha! 
Cheers bro. Thanks for the input. I grew bishops crowns 2 seasons ago and while they were prolific and tasty they didn't quite have the right flesh for me for this type of thing. I have taken a look at cheese pimenta/pimento (not sure of the spelling right now) from junglerain, large hot cherry from pepper lover and both ping and ball chilli from THSC but am not sure which I am after. And see below stickmans suggestion which sounds like a good one as well!! Maybe I order all 4-5 varieties and go from there ;) cheers for your thoughts!!
stickman said:
I've been growing Hungarian Almapaprika, and they look like they could fill the same niche. This was today's pull from 2 plants, and I only took a little less than a third of the pods on them...
SANY0037_zpsb9c9adb9.jpg

They're not the hottest pepper out there, but have a bit of a "zing" to them.
Thanks Rick!! Do they ripen red?? Basically i want something you can roast?/pickle? (I am pretty sure they are pickled when you buy them??)stuff with feta and pop in the mouth whole if possible, I want a sweet fleshy capsicumish taste with some heat left in the mouth after chewing and swallowing (just a little zing like stuffed pepper dews??). Does that make sense??
Those certainly look prolific!! And if they fit the niche might be well worth a look! Cheers Rick!!
In further germination news 1 more Jalapeño and 1 more sepia serpant joined the party overnight. I thought I would not take the newest sprouts out of the germinator this morning though and now I am thinking I should of so they could get some light and air! I hope they don't stretch too much during the day or get weak as some if them had straightened up almost upright by this morning. Hmmm too late now.
The oldest 2 jiffys(pictured above) are sitting on the window will today.
Last night I gave them the first 4-5 hrs of supplemental lighting for the year from my new little plug and play T5 daylight light. Basically I will supplement additional light each evening for 4-5 hours on the new sprouts until they are potted up in around 1-2 weeks time and then maybe for a further 2 weeks after that. By that time they should be OK to go outside.

Hi Trippa,
   I have a recipe from HabaneroHead's mom for pickling the Almapaprika. It's a cold-pack recipe so the peppers stay crunchy since they're not half cooked by boiling hot brine. They have thick flesh like a Bell pepper, and a mild, fruity pepper flavor with only a little zing. I tried a couple of the peppers I pulled today in the ivory stage, and would say they have about 100 to 500 Scovilles for heat. As they ripen from Ivory through yellow to red they gradually become hotter but don't get much beyond 1,000 scovilles... which would be at the low end of a Poblano's heat for example. Balasz says that sometimes they're stuffed first and then pickled, but they use things like shredded red cabbage which colors the pale peppers red, and feta cheese which is already pickled in a brine to preserve it. Bonnie (Highalt) grew them to full maturity last season, and she says that fully ripe they are very sweet, like a Pimiento.

Hope this helps...

No it doesnt really help Rick ... It just muddies the waters and makes me want to add more plants to my grow again ;) :D
No seriously thanks Rick gives me some food for thought that's for certain. Cheers!!
Does anyone actually have knowledge of the famous peppadew variety or know where you can get seeds?? They are basically what I am after in terms of heat/flavour/size
Rick its sounds like the Almapaprika would come close to that when ripe??although bigger??

Well only 1variety with a new sprout in the past 24hrs :( 1 Butch T x Douglah f3 popped up today while I was at work.
Still waiting on a bunch of my more revered varieties to pop ... Not looking good in my experience 6-8 days is where the majority of seeds pop and it has now been just under 8 days ... Tonight I hope I get a few new more new hooks if not might have to soak some more seeds Friday night for Saturday replanting ... Fingers crossed they are just taking their sweet time.
Truth is the germinator has been running a little too warm 31degrees celcious ... Would prefer 28 for optimum germination rates.

F1 0%
F2 50%
F3 75%
F4 87.5%
F5 93.7%
F6 96.8%
F7 98.5%
F8 99.2%
F9 99.6%
F10 99.8%
F14 and beyond should show basically no variation

This info is not my own by the way. You have to thank the good man at Junglerain.com.au ... I suggest you check his site out if you have interest in chilli hybrids

No worries Al thanks for stopping by!"

Well sad to report that no new varieties popped overnight ... Only 1 more Douglah x butch t hook :( I don't know if the rest are just stubborn and still coming or something in the habitat they don't enjoy?? Never had this amount of slower germinators .... (Maybe I should just learn to be more patient :D )

Devv said:
I had some this spring take up to 3 weeks to pop, best pop was 5 days.

One never knows :D

Keep it working!
Thanks Devv. No you never know and to be honest at the start I expect in my head 14 days to be when you should start getting a little worried (only 8.5days in so far) if you haven't seen anything. That rational thinking always goes out the window pretty much the moment the switch goes on the germinator :D ... That's why it always good to come on here and get my rational back ;). Cheers!!

No new hooks this morning either ... They are being freakin stubborn at the moment ... Will soak some more seeds Saturday if nothing eventuates by then ...hot Fish pepper I am not too hopeful of especially as Annuums don't normally take too long ....
Good news is the other babies all seem happy enough so will look at that as positive and run with that vibe :D

romy6 said:
 Nice action Trippa. I think fresh seeds always pop up quicker . I usually will give them 3 weeks. After that it's scrap and go!!!!!
Yeah fresh is best for sure but I also believe that certain seeds over a season and a half to 2 seasons old need cooler temperatures at least for a time during the germination period to germinate at a good % . you are right in my experience if they aren't up in 3 weeks 95% sure they aren't coming up at all ... In fact I think around 90% of all germination will happen within 10-14 days if the conditions are right and a slightly lower temperature is maintained (26-28 degrees C). Certain seeds need fluctuations of temperature regardless of freshness to break dormancy

Back