• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

tsurrie's 2016 glog

So this is the new season... can't wait to put the seeds in the dirt.
I just finished preparing the grow "corner" for my future seedlings, and everything works fine.

atestledsfans.jpg

The lights are prepared and I plan not to go over 200 plants this year.. but we'll see how that goes.

Like last year ... I'm planning to grow mostly chinense's and annums... but there will be some baccatums (Aji Lemondrop, Aji Amarillo,...) and pubescens (Rocoto,...) that  hogleg sent me....

I'm still working on the final grow list.
But I'm really looking forward to start the action in a week or so.

Devv said:
Wow! that's plenty of sauce ;)

I for one hear you about growing way more than we need. The bottom line is we like to do it :shh:  And the cost is not the issue, it's the space and work..LOL
Indeed. Will try not to overplant, but won't be mad if I do it again :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Awesome Uros!!

I'm hooked on making sauce and purée. I use so much of it, I couldn't afford to buy it anymore. Mine tastes better anyways. LOL

Your sauce looks fantastic.
Thanks Chuck. I hope it will taste good too...

Essegi said:
Wonderful pods and great looking sauce!

I like to add cheese (aged or not depending on how much i want to dry it) or some dried fruit if available (almonds, pine nuts, wallnuts, cashews) on my sauce but i use them on 3 days and cheese is for sure a taste changer.

Thank you Giancarlo. Cheese you say? I usually do the sauce for a few months of use... so that's not ideal combo for me... but I'm adding it to any kind of cheese I eat :)
Dried fruit is a thing to consider though, thanks.
I still need to make Aronia (chokeberry) - chili jam in the near future... I'm still deciding which chilis to use for it.

I've been putting away all the stuff from the garden and also thrown away a bunch of green pods and plants that could ripen but the cold weather stunted them. The winter is inevitable.

Here's two plants of Habanero Chocolates... picked those off who got a little color, but tossed the others. Loaded... I wish we had longer seasons...
unripechoco22102016.jpg

The greenhouse at home is holding a few more pots, that are left in there for one more - halloween harvest.... one half of the greenhouse is already prepared for planting some winter salads...
greenhouse22102016.jpg

That's my Goji berry harvest :) I'm thinking of making some jam and dry the remaining ones for mixing them into muesli with some yogurt during the winter... :rofl:
goji22102016.jpg

tsurrie said:
Dried fruit is a thing to consider though, thanks. I still need to make Aronia (chokeberry) - chili jam in the near future... I'm still deciding which chilis to use for it.

Interesting... the Aronia berry sounds a lot like the Chokecherries and Autumn Olive berries we get here. Both have the Tannic "puckery" quality, but are quite tasty if enough sugar is added to neutralize it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_virginiana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus_umbellata

I made a hot sauce with Autumn Olives, Cherry-wood smoked Trinidad Scorpions, carrot, tomatoes, garlic, molasses, coconut sugar, white vinegar and coconut milk. It's very tasty, and very hot! :drooling:

Trident chilli said:
Sorry to see those Chocolate Habs destined for the compost ... wind from the East arriving this week ... Winter soon see you in 2017

Yup, a sad thing to just toss them away. But, still got plenty of ripe pods and that's enough. See ya!

Devv said:
It's been a great season! Enjoy the downtime ;)

Yes, thanks. You too.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the great glog. It's been fun.

Likewise my friend, likewise.

stickman said:

Interesting... the Aronia berry sounds a lot like the Chokecherries and Autumn Olive berries we get here. Both have the Tannic "puckery" quality, but are quite tasty if enough sugar is added to neutralize it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_virginiana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus_umbellata

I made a hot sauce with Autumn Olives, Cherry-wood smoked Trinidad Scorpions, carrot, tomatoes, garlic, molasses, coconut sugar, white vinegar and coconut milk. It's very tasty, and very hot! :drooling:

They seem to be very similar. Both originating from North America and very similar indeed. But clearly different. Nice info on the sauce. Thanks.

Hej, Uros! Sta ima novo? :)
I see you had a pretty nice year! Checked mostly the last pictures, with ripe peppers, they look great!
Are the red Brains from me? If yes, they should be really hot!
But I saw no Lemon Drops, did I missed them, or they failed?

You could use the green peppers for a jam, or you could keep the pods inside and let them ripe (those who have the will to do it), and eat them.
I made a jam using some greens too, because the main part was Kapija. Very simple, boil sugar with vinegar (apple vinegar, because the grape - or wine - vinegar is too strong in taste and smell) for 5 minutes, add the blended peppers and boil till it get thick. My wife liked the first batch, which was very soft (and I mean not so hot). I made a second, hotter (hottest pepper I used, among others, was the BOC), and today will make another one, using mostly Bishop's Crown, cause my wife like them. But after canning most of it, will add some "magic powder", to make few really hot jars.

rghm1u20 said:
Hej, Uros! Sta ima novo? :)
I see you had a pretty nice year! Checked mostly the last pictures, with ripe peppers, they look great!
Are the red Brains from me? If yes, they should be really hot!
But I saw no Lemon Drops, did I missed them, or they failed?

You could use the green peppers for a jam, or you could keep the pods inside and let them ripe (those who have the will to do it), and eat them.
I made a jam using some greens too, because the main part was Kapija. Very simple, boil sugar with vinegar (apple vinegar, because the grape - or wine - vinegar is too strong in taste and smell) for 5 minutes, add the blended peppers and boil till it get thick. My wife liked the first batch, which was very soft (and I mean not so hot). I made a second, hotter (hottest pepper I used, among others, was the BOC), and today will make another one, using mostly Bishop's Crown, cause my wife like them. But after canning most of it, will add some "magic powder", to make few really hot jars.

Hey Adrian.
Nothing much new at the moment... been working, raising kids, taking care of the family and my garden :) What's new is the garden is almost prepared for the winter now, just a couple of Goat's weeds still on the garden, nothing else...

Yes, Brains are from you and they're incredibly hot... but very tasty... crazy hot but tasty,... Lemon drops did not do well for me at the beginning of the season, just got one plant and that one plant died on me later on... the reason was mole damage on the garden.
I know I could use green peppers for jam or sauce, but I got plenty of ripe peppers and plenty of them frozen too...Will consider your recipe's when I start making one.

What's been up with you?

_________

That's my last bigger harvest this season. Picked everything up from the garden and most of the peppers from pots in the greenhouse. Gonna let them ripe a bit more in a cardboard box.
lastharvest26102016.jpg

Cooked two more sauces over the last week... one from Caribbean reds and some other milder peppers and one from Aji Umbas and Chupetinhos, for my father in law. They're both a lot more tolerable by other members of the family, heatwise... ;)

Ate half of the mystery pod with my dinner and it's a feisty one... still feel the heat, but in my eyes ... I just came from the shower and guess I had some oil on my fingers
mysteryopened09112016.jpg

Also good cardboard box ripening among the last batch if chiles... look at the Rocoto, it was totally green in the last picture from two weeks ago
ripening09112016.jpg

Just need to eat them all and I can call it a season end!

Devv said:
Such a nice way to close the season ;)

'couze of the burning eyes?
yeah I know, what better can you wan't than having enough of chiles on your hands
:cheers:

I just noticed a bottle of a hot sauce expired and that happens when there's enough fresh chiles in the house. I bought it in the autumn last year. But I know it must still be ok, so can't wait to try it.

Got an envelope today from Lukas with some interesting varieties... so that's something I will add to the grow list in january. Thank you again Lukas.
seedsfromluke.jpg

also decided to try a nice looking pepper from the garden, which was marked 7pot Jonah.... so here it is
7potjonah16112016.jpg

this is one of the few left in the box... some are still ok, but a lot of them are rotting so I need to check them daily and discard the rotten ones...
look at this flesh.... nice aroma and flavor.... but ouch... ate a half with some cold pizza and I can feel the cramps creepin' in...it's not THE cramps, but the feeling is not so nice
7potjonahcut16112016.jpg

Nice finish to your season, Uros!

Now relax and enjoy the holidays with your family!

LuckyLuke said:
Hi Uros, I found your and Rick's seeds in the mail today. I'll share them with my chilli friends. Thank you !  :violin:

mystery_zpsiiouvi5i.jpg
You're welcome. Rick was very generous so I got plenty left. And that mystery was a beast, I wonder how they'll turn out. I hope they grow and produce a lot of fruit for you and your chili friends. New season is close ;)
Take care.

Back