• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Turkey Before and After

Family get together was great! So goooooood as you can see,,,,,,,Before
This is after prep the bird for the box. Salt, pepper, lemon pepper, seasoning salt with olive oil smeared all over.
Then after with smoking for a total 7 hours mmmmm juicy!!!!!! Sorry had to take a sample out of the side there LOL

And this is what it looks like after 30 minutes................

I would like to thank everybody for the help and pointers. There is a couple of things I am going to try next time.

i think i could smell it yesterday morning...was a north wind all day long... :lol:

OJ that turkey looked so good this morning, I made a bird myself. obviously I don't have your equipment nor do I cook the same way, but a bird is a bird! :D
Was so juicy... just the way I like it! took 3 people and embarrassingly little time to make it "disappear" and I kinda ate most of it. :oops:

birdfm4.jpg

Omri said:
I hear ya! I can already feel the heart attack coming, but I can't help myself. :P

I love turkey, but Omri, aren't they suppose to have the good type of fat in them? At least thats what I always tell myself;)

Another fav is chicken...Has anyone tried Beer-Butt-Chicken? All I can say is WOW!!! The beer can in its rear really makes good chicken.

There is one thing I need to do next time I do a big bird is roll it when finished wrapping it in foil to see if I can get more moisture to the breast meat. Or any other ideas?

Not gonna tell ya how I cook it, but the general idea is "secret cooking" > aluminum foil > extra "secret cooking" for crispy skin.
Without the aluminum foil it's just not soft and juicy enough.

Omri said:
I hear ya! I can already feel the heart attack coming, but I can't help myself. :P

yea but it tastes sooooo good! :lol:
that greasy skin at the bottom when you cook turkeys is some tasty stuff! plus the crispy skin
thats where all the flavor is at ;)

okie joe said:
There is one thing I need to do next time I do a big bird is roll it when finished wrapping it in foil to see if I can get more moisture to the breast meat. Or any other ideas?

I say inject the bird.
I havent wrapped my bird with foil, but I also use a water pan with water & other liquids.
that turkey you showed in other thread was kinda dark on the skin, but for me thats flavor :lol:

seems like maybe to heavy of a smoke ? or cooked to long ?

grilling/smoking is like a art form.

You can set it in a foil pan and baste every so often for color and to keep from drying. The smoke will still penetrate the meat -- If the smoke is going to fast dampen it back also be sure it is more or less white smoke... still use a digital thermometer for temp I find the plastic pop-up ones stick when using on the grill so I pull them out. Looks like everyone loved it though !!!

Back