• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking UDS build and eventually some cooking

I was thinking younger looking chicks
tenor (9).gif

AND Back to the barrel!!!!!

While waiting on the grass to dry so I can mow I sprayed the inside of the barrel with some cheap oven cleaner from Dollar General. I used a toilet brush to scrub off the remnants of the paint and it came off after soaking it down with the oven cleaner twice. FYI, I bought a new toilet brush along with the oven cleaner, just making that clear cuz I know how you guys are.

The inside is cleaned, rinsed and ready for a wipe down with oil, next is starting on the outside.
100_1683.JPG

100_1686.JPG

100_1685.JPG

I bedazzled big ugly with a temp gauge. She already looks better!!

I fired her up for a test run about an hour ago, I had to before I put more money in it not knowing if this thing will work. I oiled the inside, started some brickets and loaded a basket with cheap stuff. I think it's about 12 lbs in there and she's rolling smoke like a champ.
100_1690.JPG

100_1688.JPG

100_1695.JPG

This was about 10 minutes after starting, the temp since has settled in at 300.
100_1694.JPG

I'm gonna burn it hot for a while then try to get it stable at about 240. I even picked up some cheap meat to add a little fat to the break in.

What a learning curve on this thing. I started with all 3 3/4" intakes open(exhaust all open, both bungs=no caps) and it went up to about 300 and was steady for a while. I capped off 1 intake and it stayed at 260. I capped the 2nd intake and it was steady at 235, I added some cheap meat and it went down to 220 and stayed there for a while then went up to 260. I think the fat dripping brought the temp up. I might have to make a heat defusser to let the fat burn before it hits the coals in a few places where the pan doesn't cover the firebox. It's still rolling and the meat taste awesome but I'm letting it go longer to see what happens so I don't have surprises when I cook expensive meat. I'll pull the pork when it's dry like Tasso and use it for beans. 

I did add a water/drip pan when I started with oil and water in it and had to refill it 3 times, I added a frozen chunk of bacon grease when I added the meat. It's smelling good in the hood!!!

Here's some pics along the way, pork steaks seasoned with a homemade rub
100_1699.JPG

That's the bacon fat grease in the drip pan
100_1700.JPG

100_1701.JPG

It's been going for about 90 minutes, I'm letting it dry out to season the drum
100_1702.JPG

I'll update as I make changes/improvements.

I finally pulled the meat off at about 10:30 and it was still holding between 222-230. The total burn time was 6 hours+ and that's using cheap charcoal and running it hot for a while for the initial burn/cook. I'm gonna make a defuser today and burn some chicken legs, that should be the test of any grease flame ups/fire. The barrel inside has a nice smell this morning and is seasoned good but it's gonna get better with more cooks on it.
100_1707.JPG

100_1706.JPG

The meat came out great for a first run.
100_1703.JPG

I played with the smoker again today. I bought a Jumbo Old Smokey bottom tray to use as a diffuser and it worked great. It held steady at 245 with one intake open.

Here's some 3 hour drumsticks using apple wood.If I had one complaint it would be the skin is too dry and tough, maybe a squirt bottle next time or cook them a little faster.

100_1708.JPG

100_1710.JPG

Did you brine it? It not only adds moisture to the meat but the salt will break some of the tissue down including in the skin so you can get it crispy, but not tough, as you say. Also it's good to leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight so the excess moisture evaporates from the skin, this way is gets really crunchy on the smoker.

NO brine just seasoned and wrapped in plastic for 3 days. Store bought already seasoned. I think I should've cooked it on higher heat to crisp the skin up and I probably cooked it about 30 minutes too long. I got distracted when company showed up. It might take a while to figure it out but at least I get Scooby snacks for trying!!

Sounds good! I'd suggest you try letting it sit uncovered overnight in fridge. The water content in the skin is what causes it be be flaccid. That's why you see some more expensive chickens in the store as "air chilled" because they are hung on racks, not sitting in the chlorine water solution. Try it next time for crispy skin! You can still brine too you just need to brine a day before and air chill overnight for the skin evaporation.

I added some new intakes to the drum and had to test it out. It's still ugly and a work in progress but holds steady heat!!
100_1809.JPG

Air damper already made
100_1810.JPG

Chicken with Heinz Carolina mustard bbq sauce, the beef ribs were fall apart tender and hard to cut without breaking apart, a few links of sausage and sweet potatoes
100_1806.JPG

100_1814.JPG

100_1813.JPG

100_1815.JPG

Love this thread! Last year I built a UDS because I wanted a quality smoker but didn't want to spent much money on it. I needed to be able to smoke a lot of chickens for the PNW Chilefest that was a couple of weeks away. So I jumped back on THP and reviewed all the BBQ and smoking threads. It didn't take long to realize that UDS was the way to go. I was especially interested in having the option of hanging them during the smoke. The real test came next with 18 chicken halves hanging. Turned out great. So easy. This design also allows for a couple of Weber racks if you're not hanging birds. The process of learning and building the UDS was really fun. I cut up a couple of pallets for the burn and it couldn't have been easier. They burn HOT and long. So many options and mods make for a truly fun project. This thing holds its heat steady and adjusting is simple. I would highly suggest getting the wireless thermometer so you can monitor everything while you are doing something else. I'm doing a couple of chickens now, but I REALLY need to test out my skills and do a brisket. 

Rajun, Awesome job. I love your upper air valves! 

post-3194-0-86688300-1504659463_thumb.png

Very nice! You can hang ribs too. With a rotisserie motor (and dome lid) you could smoke a turkey. ;)

Nice barrel, I haven't found a Weber top yet and when I do I'll build another one with a little more character/attitude. 

I also want to try some hanging ribs, it should work from everything I've seen and the turkey is easy. I put the first rack low enough to smoke big butts. I have another grill grate to add about 4" down so I can do a shit load of chicken, sausage and a few racks of ribs. 

If I really needed to smoke a turkey I can use the rack from a turkey fryer and hang it. 

The best thing about this smoker is you can control the temp better from the bottom than the top and get a nice steady heat, another thing is it cooks so moist you don't need a water pan or have to spritz the meat often. 

I'm addicted to this build and wanna cook on it more to get it dialed it perfect. It cooks so steady that it's too easy compared to the pit I have.

After I cooked those ribs I shut down the air and the next day I still had half of the coals left so I did what any other BBQ Junkie would do. I had to fire it up again just to see how it would cook. I did burgers that night on the gas grill but I picked up some stuffed turkey wings, smoked for 2 hours at 245 then wrapped with apple juice. These things tasted like ham and had that sticky sweet flavor. The meat just peeled off the bones like unwrapping a taco.
100_1823.JPG

This pic doesn't do it justice, that's awesome sticky turkey fat goodness
100_1826.JPG

Back