• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Uknow 2018 - The Heat is On!

Hey all!

Just a quick sneak peak. I planned on dirt day being January 1st this year, but it ended up being today (yesterday), January 18th. Still about 2 weeks earlier than my first set last year. As long as I don't have any major setbacks like last season, I should crush it this year! *Knock on wood*

So I finally got the grow box/tent, lights and heat mat set up in my unfinished rec room downstairs of the new house. The room is about 6' x 9'. Had to cut about 4 inches off one side of my table, it's a tight fit, but I didn't want to go lengthwise, lol.

I planted 4 trays of Chinense only so far. Heat mat is set to 83f. I learned my lesson last year with planting Annuum's and baccatum's too early. Not doing that again! I'll wait at least another month before I start them.

I didn't put together my official grow list yet, but you can see most of the varieties in the pics. Mostly the same as last year, I didn't order any new seeds. I'm missing a few varieties though due to not getting any pods from a few that the deer mowed down last season. (I'm looking for Chocolate Bhut, JPGS and a couple others if anyone wants to trade some seeds)

Also, of the 22 plants I tried to overwinter, 10 survived the aphids and neglect from me. Only watered twice since October, oops, haha. 5 I think have some life left in them, and 7 were completely toast. I'll get a list of the survivors tomorrow when I do my grow list.

af837cbb5e881a41aeee48bc33e81720.jpg
48da77ce0d00b919cc96f00039220e23.jpg
5721cb4fea8e4fad7fce78c61c574e5a.jpg
ae7f4cd75c68bd88d328cabf894c0308.jpg
cfb6671adfe8e568b2b0ecd4b4c1202e.jpg
c37bfb78912dd5b35eba76b30b466a1d.jpg
9e12f5f99cc13c3e37173593ffa565e1.jpg
9312737a8edee75fb7218db0685328f0.jpg
9bb960e42b6ee759f45c23161980507b.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

U)<now said:
I'm driving to Chicago at 5am for 3 days for work. We're in the middle of a good snow storm right now, getting 5 to 8 inches between today and tonight. It's supposed to be over at 6am though. Maybe if I'm real lucky, I'll come home to some hooks this weekend! I usually see the first ones in 6 or 7 days so it'll be right about that time when I get back.

I also had 3 Moruga seeds from a half mushy, half dried pod I forgot about in cup. They didn't look great, but I threw them in a wet paper towel and zip lock bag, and tossed them on the heat mat yesterday. Probably 5% chance of one sprouting. We'll see what happens.

Safe travels!  Should be mostly rain down this way.  Work travel is great for 'speeding up' the germ process. :)  

Just misted my trays again since I'll be gone for a few days.

While doing that, I took some pics of my setup in case anyone new to my glogs was wondering about it and how I bolted all of my T8 fixtures together. I also use the hanging ratchet ropes upside down, this way I pull the rope up to raise the light, taking all the weight off my frame when I raise the lights. It's also easier to reach the release lever on them when they are down by the lights instead of up by the top of the tent.

eb68fc4ce0aa4ec781447ba9355439fc.jpg
ee72f5c95e41a1465cdd6f54d6f68164.jpg
706ce65e33e9f58400e2927bf497a23d.jpg
635060ea4586f383f888440afb120211.jpg
08407b15d52dab91b1df371a8d8cc9d4.jpg
dabdca640db16174682dd939b3d3ebbe.jpg

If you're driving to Chicago from the UP, the highway is about 10 minutes from my house. Come pick up ya seeds and save me a stamp. Lol kidding...enjoy the town, will be a little warm this week

Genetikx said:
If you're driving to Chicago from the UP, the highway is about 10 minutes from my house. Come pick up ya seeds and save me a stamp. Lol kidding...enjoy the town, will be a little warm this week
Haha, I thought about asking you to meet, but I'll be in meetings pretty much all day everyday til about 5pm, then dinner, then some sort of events after dinner til about 9pm normally.

Had tons of seedlings and hooks when I got home last night! Had at least two or three of everything I planted except no THSC Choco Scorp or Purple Naga Viper yet.

I'll post some pics later today.

Looking good Troy!

I myself don't worry about the algae. But once they pop I like to keep the top moisture level down. We all do things so differently. How long do you leave them in the starter trays? 

Devv said:
Looking good Troy!

I myself don't worry about the algae. But once they pop I like to keep the top moisture level down. We all do things so differently. How long do you leave them in the starter trays? 
Thanks! I only leave the lids on for a day or two after they start popping. I'll remove them now actually.

I have found potting them up sooner is better. I used to wait til they got their second set of true leaves so there was a bit of a root system to hold the dirt together, but I've found that letting seedlings get even the slightest bit root bound stunts their growth a bit. On the flip side, potting up too soon, with not enough root system in place can cause you to tear the main root if the dirt falls apart and will kill the plant. I know Juanitos grows them to like 12" high in starter cells, but I just can't seem to push them that far, lol.

So nowadays, I'll pot them up to the 1 gallon pots as soon as the 1st set of true leaves gets to about a half inch in length.

Most of my OW survivors are looking good. I think I may have killed all the aphids (knock on wood), I haven't seen any in about a week now and I check almost daily.

Starting to see some new growth on a few again. I gave them some nutes with CNS17 Grow in tonight's watering at 18ml /gallon of water.
6dcb588bb7d8ff392eaf821d733fb1b9.jpg
571946270009673b8eaf9f4ea3ee058f.jpg
ee0fac7ec30d5a11e6883a8614dbcb66.jpg
ba4c7ea92d2d28d6be949d0e1767ae96.jpg

OW's look great!

I'm with ya on the early transplanting idea. ;)  I now start mine in 3.5" pots and let them get just large enough to hold the root system together before they hit the #1 pots. That's about the second or third set of true leaves, depending on the variety.

Devv said:
OW's look great!

I'm with ya on the early transplanting idea. ;)  I now start mine in 3.5" pots and let them get just large enough to hold the root system together before they hit the #1 pots. That's about the second or third set of true leaves, depending on the variety.
Sounds like a solid plan to me! If I didn't start so many, I'd definitely start in the 3.5" square pots, I have about 50 or so of them.

I was able to get most of my helmet heads off last night. A few were too small still, so I just clipped the edges of the shell and put a drop of water on them. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow.

U)<now said:
So, here is my list of over winter survivors as well as current seeds planted, and seeds I want to buy or trade for, which some may be already taken care of.

2017 OVER WINTER SURVIVORS:

Yellow T. Scorp CARDI
T. Scorp Butch T.
Butch T. x Reaper
Butch T. x Reaper (July 2016)
Bubblegum 7 Pod
THSC Chocolate T. Scorp
Brainstrain 7 Pot
Purple Naga Viper
7 Pod Jonah Yellow
Carolina Reaper

POSSIBLE OW SURVIVORS:

Aji Pineapple
CP115
Carolina Reaper
Fildaga Preto
Trinidad Moruga Scorp

277 PLANTED 1/18/2018:
(I planted 2 seeds per cell for most of these since I had my own seeds this year so I wanted a better chance of filling every cell. Quantities are cells though, not total seeds, probably closer to 500 actual seeds planted)

TRAY 1:
24 - 7 Pod Brown
24 - THSC Chocolate T Scorp
12 - CP115
12 - Chocolate Primo Reaper

TRAY 2:
12 - Borg 9
12 - Butch T Reaper
24 - CPR "Red Grenade" pheno
23 - Carolina Reaper

TRAY 3:
24 - Butch T Scorp
24 - Brainstrain 7 Pot
12 - Purple Naga Viper
12 - Purple Naga Viper Chocolate

TRAY 4:
24 - Bhut Jolokia
24 - Yellow T Scorp CARDI
12 - 7 Pod Jonah Yellow
12 - Orange Fatali

NOT PLANTED YET:
Aji Pineapple
Blue Christmas
Fildaga Preto
Jalapeno

SEEDS WANTED:
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp
Chocolate Bhut
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Chocolate Hab

SEEDS I HAVE FOR TRADE:

Aji Pineapple
T Scorp Butch T
Purple Naga Viper
Borg 9
BTR
7 Pod Brown
CP115
7 Pod Jonah Yellow
Mystery Seeds - from my 2017 season. Possibly BTR, Aji Pineapple, THSC Chocolate T Scorp, and a few others. 80% are likely BTR though as I had A LOT of those.

Stay warm! :fire:

T.
Did you find the seeds you needed?  I have about 10-12 types of bonnets in my collection.

jedisushi06 said:
Did you find the seeds you needed?  I have about 10-12 types of bonnets in my collection.
I found a couple. I have Chocolate Bhut and JPGS on the way. I also got some YBS for the Growdown.

Still looking for the Bonnets and Chocolate Habs.

I'd love to get some Bonnets! I'll buy or trade if you're willing. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!

U)<now said:
I found a couple. I have Chocolate Bhut and JPGS on the way. I also got some YBS for the Growdown.

Still looking for the Bonnets and Chocolate Habs.

I'd love to get some Bonnets! I'll buy or trade if you're willing. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!
I have all that stuff just message me what you need.

Forgot to mention one big difference this year. The new house has an RO water system, so I've been watering the seedlings with the RO water. Test strips showed a PH of around 6. The normal tap water was around 7 or so. The RO water should help.

It's not a big system, just one of the under the kitchen sink style ones. I only get about a gallon every few hours from it, so I'm going to fill a couple five gallon buckets throughout the week and use when needed.

I need to order a PH meter off Amazon to be sure though.

Back