• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Uknow 2018 - The Heat is On!

Hey all!

Just a quick sneak peak. I planned on dirt day being January 1st this year, but it ended up being today (yesterday), January 18th. Still about 2 weeks earlier than my first set last year. As long as I don't have any major setbacks like last season, I should crush it this year! *Knock on wood*

So I finally got the grow box/tent, lights and heat mat set up in my unfinished rec room downstairs of the new house. The room is about 6' x 9'. Had to cut about 4 inches off one side of my table, it's a tight fit, but I didn't want to go lengthwise, lol.

I planted 4 trays of Chinense only so far. Heat mat is set to 83f. I learned my lesson last year with planting Annuum's and baccatum's too early. Not doing that again! I'll wait at least another month before I start them.

I didn't put together my official grow list yet, but you can see most of the varieties in the pics. Mostly the same as last year, I didn't order any new seeds. I'm missing a few varieties though due to not getting any pods from a few that the deer mowed down last season. (I'm looking for Chocolate Bhut, JPGS and a couple others if anyone wants to trade some seeds)

Also, of the 22 plants I tried to overwinter, 10 survived the aphids and neglect from me. Only watered twice since October, oops, haha. 5 I think have some life left in them, and 7 were completely toast. I'll get a list of the survivors tomorrow when I do my grow list.

af837cbb5e881a41aeee48bc33e81720.jpg
48da77ce0d00b919cc96f00039220e23.jpg
5721cb4fea8e4fad7fce78c61c574e5a.jpg
ae7f4cd75c68bd88d328cabf894c0308.jpg
cfb6671adfe8e568b2b0ecd4b4c1202e.jpg
c37bfb78912dd5b35eba76b30b466a1d.jpg
9e12f5f99cc13c3e37173593ffa565e1.jpg
9312737a8edee75fb7218db0685328f0.jpg
9bb960e42b6ee759f45c23161980507b.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I just went and re-read my entire glog from last year from start to finish. I now see the mistakes I made and exactly where I went wrong and can truly learn from them and try to avoid making those same mistakes this year. I was also kind enough to leave myself notes in the glog last year of what worked and what didn't, lol. Those notes are this:

• Keep Lights at 8 inches or higher in the grow tent.
  • Keep good air flow with fans at all times.
  • Keep grow tent around 75F max
  • ONLY WATER WHEN POT IS LIGHT WEIGHT OR MIX IS MOSTLY DRY, WHEN IN DOUBT, WAIT ANOTHER DAY.
  • Fertilize early and consistently when using organic potting mix.
  • Pot up when 1st set of true leaves are at a half inch in length.
  • Don't break up root ball when potting up.
  • Pot up straight to 1 Gal pots, no solo cups.
  • 2 Bags potting mix to one bag perlite when potting up.
  • When outside, only water or spray for bugs/aphids in the evening and rinse plants with water after to avoid burning/leaf drop.

Troy--

Looks like you're all set up to do a monster season! Don't forget to shake that CNS17 a bit before using. Your OWs (the ones that live) look wondrous! I only have the two and have been trying to keep them dormant, but I gave up. The leaves are cupping and curling, I assume from insufficient light, so back to a south window they go. Besides, it makes the PepperGuru's tail wag that we don't try to put them into stasis for the off-season...

Have a bountiful one!

Seeds are out let me know when you get them.  Sent you regular chocolate habanero and an Chocolate Ebony Habanero, it's get huge pods.  Haven't grown that one out yet but Justin White sent me pods for it a few years ago.  

stettoman said:
Troy--

Looks like you're all set up to do a monster season! Don't forget to shake that CNS17 a bit before using. Your OWs (the ones that live) look wondrous! I only have the two and have been trying to keep them dormant, but I gave up. The leaves are cupping and curling, I assume from insufficient light, so back to a south window they go. Besides, it makes the PepperGuru's tail wag that we don't try to put them into stasis for the off-season...

Have a bountiful one!
Thanks, Eric! Yeah I shake the hell out of it before each use. My OW's were starting to die from lack of attention/aphids, so I had to wake them up to keep them going.

Best of luck to you this season as well!

jedisushi06 said:
Seeds are out let me know when you get them.  Sent you regular chocolate habanero and an Chocolate Ebony Habanero, it's get huge pods.  Haven't grown that one out yet but Justin White sent me pods for it a few years ago.  
Sweeeet! I'll get them in the dirt as soon as they arrive.

Got the fans hooked up now and I also bought a smaller one gallon pump sprayer for watering in the early stages. $5 at Wal-Mart, can't go wrong at that price. Sure beats the hell out of using a spray bottle and refilling it 3 or 4 times a day. My hands/fingers will be thanking me daily.

Also, my temp/humidity sensor looked like this when I pulled it from deep freeze in the garage in December, the right line of the temp doesn't work anymore, but I can still figure it out, not to mention the high/low temp displays still work properly.

2382e0ddb797f8d7efe24c31df311b82.jpg
d102089ca4f00459331157a7b09ecafc.jpg
40395f6401243f5ee6aa2abe42cf96e5.jpg

U)<now said:
Got the fans hooked up now and I also bought a smaller one gallon pump sprayer for watering in the early stages. $5 at Wal-Mart, can't go wrong at that price. Sure beats the hell out of using a spray bottle and refilling it 3 or 4 times a day. My hands/fingers will be thanking me daily.

Also, my temp/humidity sensor looked like this when I pulled it from deep freeze in the garage in December, the right line of the temp doesn't work anymore, but I can still figure it out, not to mention the high/low temp displays still work properly.

2382e0ddb797f8d7efe24c31df311b82.jpg
d102089ca4f00459331157a7b09ecafc.jpg
40395f6401243f5ee6aa2abe42cf96e5.jpg
that's a lot of plants.. you growing them all out?

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
that's a lot of plants.. you growing them all out?
I keep about 60 or so for myself and sell/give away the rest locally to family and friends. Almost everyone in my family has a garden. I have two more trays (144 more cells) to start still. Some more chinense varieties and some Annuum's and Baccatum's. I won't start the Annuum's and Baccatum's for another 3 to 4 weeks though since they grow so tall so quickly

Little update - All is going great so far!

The fans have taken care of the algae problem entirely since they dry the top of the soil out with in a couple hours of watering. However, I have been turning the fans off at night after watering so the seeds and cells get a chance to use some of the water. I have to be on top of watering everyday, with the fans now, the cells are all but bone dry by the time I get home from work. Also made new fan hangers with zip ties. They are more secure now and I can angle the fans slightly up or down by sliding the fan forward or backwards to shift the weight. So they don't blow directly on the soil anymore, just straight across the canopy about 3" above the trays.

I have at least one of everything and really am at or above 50% germination except the THSC Chocolate T. Scorp's, zero of those. I have a few of those seeds left, so I think I'll add them in the existing cells as backups. Also zero of the YBS for the Growdown yet, but it's early still. Only been 6 days I think.

Lots of true leave sets appearing. It's about time to separate the extras or cull them, which I have such a hard time doing. I'll separate some of the extras and put them into non-germed cells, then likely cull the rest if I can't find quick homes for them.

Lots of tri-cotys in the BTR cells and a few others as well, like my red Brain Strain. I remember the BTR's from last year had a few also, must be in their gene's.

I started updating my germination spreadsheet also, so I'll get that updated and uploaded soon.

Here's some pics!

Also, the close up is the same plant two days ago, and now today. He's also got a friend now, that may or may not live, lol.

46f541980cac56867ca314f6b861c879.jpg
5d011c0991471bc54353cbaa5b8f8b36.jpg

7aca9a894cb79433d0842c9985760fa5.jpg
07276e4bb27e2cb0c159278225d39abf.jpg
ffc679a5d3c11021618e2bc1698e2567.jpg

fdc979cb605dec07569b7608389b8bc1.jpg
daa704508bdf74419f73adef75790505.jpg
f7c0b2c77dbf9a73436dafd7fcae6eda.jpg
fd8bc20b878aedfffcceb2e1b1dcdccd.jpg

And we also got about 6 more inches of snow between last night and this morning. These pics are from my ride into work this morning...
33ad4e0477c7ea74ac7ac1fe0791a67c.jpg
93118f6b2a50f4bc293f6caa380a68ca.jpg

Devv said:
Looks like everything is going well!

Wishing you continued success ;)
Thanks Devv!

My package from Jedi arrived today also, and it was such a suprise, I had to stop at the hydro shop on the way home to get more seed starting mix, haha. I also have to revamp my plans for the rest of my free space, lol. To say he hooked me up, would be quite the understatement. He sent me some killer stuff. I have no problems culling the duplicates per cell to make more room now, lol. I owe him one, or three this fall! Didn't get time to put any in the dirt today, but I'll get them in tomorrow after work for sure!

Package from Genetikx arrived today! Super stoked! Some awesome surprises in there! Thanks again Ryan!

The seeds from you and Jedi will be hitting the dirt right after work today! :FIRE:

Back