• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Using Cinder Blocks As Planters

Has anyone considered using cinderblocks as planters on the lawn? The thought occured to me while looking at my 4 year old Fuji apple tree that was never pulled as a weed over the years because I grew it in a cinder block:

moruga6b_zps6971739f.jpg

A cinder block is 16 X 8 X 8 with two with 4 X 4 openings. They would be ideal as planters because 1) the plant won't get mowed over, 2) They're $1.50 each and 3) you can make really neat walkways with cinder blocks.

Well- is it a good idea?

CJ discovered that a few years ago as a border around the garden. She plants "anti Deer" perenials in them...
Feverfew, Shasta Daisy's, Mint, Echinacea, etc. They require extra attention in the summer with the water, as the heat tends to wick moisture out of the soil.

Great for weed eating! Like you said, they don't get mowed over.

A very good idea!

I don't see why not. It could make for some really nice eye candy if you set it up nice. Just keep in mind that it might be pretty restricting on your plants, just because of the size. You might get less pod production, but if that's a trade-off that doesn't bother you, then I say go for it! Might wanna consider planting smaller varieties in there.... like white habs or something that doesn't get very big to begin with.

Some of my raised beds are lined with cinder blocks. I tried peppers in a few of them, but did not work out well.
Parsley and flowers did well in them for me.

Biz's photo is remarkable. Using a 4x4x8 "pot" doesn't provide much room for roots. If the roots are allowed to grow into the soil shouldn't be an issue.

It appears your main driving force is finances. There are cheaper types of "pots" available. http://www.horticulturesource.com/grow-containers-pots-grow-bags-planters-net-cups-mesh-pots-neoprene-inserts-buckets-lids-liners-etc--c36/plastic-grow-bag-5-gallon-p3397/

I think I am a go with the cinder block idea. Ideally I would prefer a 16 X 16 one opening cinder block like in the OP, but they're $4.57 each and regular ones are $1.49 and with my layout, I have 9 X 12 = 108 cinder blocks on the 44' X 52' grow area- 21 square feet per plant.

Not saying all 108 cinder blocks are going to be Morugas- I think I'll grow 50 or so of them in the cinderblocks but also want cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce etc... At least now I know how many will fit.

Cinder blocks are a neat idea, and can look appealing if you lay them out level and take your time on it. I would plant them so the roots can get into the ground though because the root balls would be constricted to a tiny space, and with your shorter growing season your plants need a lot of roots quick to produce well. You could even build them up and let your climbing plants like cucumbers climb up the wall. I threw together a drawing quick, if you know sketchup I can send you a file. It's a great 3d modelling program for visualizing a design. But with my design you would still have a large portion of your lawn left, and I know you want to eat up a chunk of your yard. (btw used 108 blocks... man I need this snow to go away, I think boredom is making me delirious.)
garden_zps8fa204dc.jpg

My plan is to lay the cinderblocks on the lawn 2 feet apart in rows and use one of the holes for a pepper plant. That maximizes the potential of the lawn... right?

All I'm gonna say is there's a reason why 3-5 gallon pots.... minimum.... is recommended for growing peppers in containers. If your roots are going to be able to get into the soil below the cinder blocks, then it may help. But the small cinder block holes are going to restrict your plants' growth. I agree with Patrick. Biz's plants look great for being on their way to root bound

Yeah, just laying blocks on top of lawn is probably not the best idea. At least get rid of the grass, hand till and amend the soil under them. I keep peppers in small pots every year after I run out of room, and they have never amounted to much.

Pepper plants have large root systems. Plants can only grow to a capacity in which their roots will support, much like how some fish only grow to the size proportional to the tank they are in. Your better off with fewer larger plants in larger containers, than a bunch of small weak ones and cinder blocks all over your lawn. Your plants will probably end up being a foot tall at best. In pots you need a minimum of 3-5 gallon buckets. There is a reason why at garden centers when you buy plants they come in different container sizes, it's because plants get root bound. Your new to gardening, start small, and learn to do things the right way. Save your back and put your efforts into something that will work. You have the blocks, make a raised bed out of them, it is the only functional way to grow peppers with them. Save the spaces in the blocks for small plants like herbs, flowers, tools. Google image search cinder block garden, there are lots of nice designs out there. Establish a budget and really put some thought into how you want it to look. Leveling out rows of cinder blocks takes a lot of time. You will be re-leveling them each year because they cannot be laid on a prepared base and your ground freezes annually. Do a soil calculation on how much you will need and call a garden center for prices.

Honestly man my professional opinion is to start with maybe 20 plants max. 20 well maintained plants, properly pruned, fertilized etc is a lot of work and will yeild a lot. I made 3 large bottles of hot sauce from 2 bhut jolokias last year, and had plenty to spare for my friends who were up for a challenge. I don't think you quite grasp the concept of the scope of work involved and I get this feeling like you really want to succeed. Do the work in stages, don't dig up your entire lawn, start small.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch28.html

fig80.jpg

Now I am back to 5 gallon buckets. They're $3.00 each and it adds up. I guess it makes sense- I do want to succeed and need advice like this. I have 100 small plants and think it's time to pare it down to what- 30? 40? Ditch the rest of them?

Now I am back to 5 gallon buckets. They're $3.00 each and it adds up. I guess it makes sense- I do want to succeed and need advice like this. I have 100 small plants and think it's time to pare it down to what- 30? 40? Ditch the rest of them?

Try 20, just pick what you think will work best. Everyone here has given you great advice. I agree w/ Zantrax and start small, learn the basics and get good at it.

Just commit to your choice and go forward with it.

Ya those planters for sure will work. Also if you have time you can make planters out of scrap pallets. I made a few last year with some I had left over. Drive by any new construction with brick facing, usually those pallets don't have a deposit and the contractors will be happy to toss them. I prefer to recycle when gardening, makes me feel all green and stuff, helps me offset the fact that I drive a 6.0l gas engine around :P For buckets too, free is better than $3 a piece, painters, garden centers, landscapers usually have a pile laying around. But if you do end up buying them $60 will last you 5 solid seasons. I try to look at the long term investment, not the upfront cost... upfront my numbers are pushing $1000, for that much I could ship in a lifetime supply of hot sauce.

You can easily get 10 plants in a garden that is 16'x4' My first garden (pictured below) was tiny, I excavated 6" of soil under it, and filled up 1' of premium compost. It was on the West side of a house, and got a decent amount of sun, but I crammed the garden with: A bhut, a hab, 8 Roma Tomatoes, 2 Big Red Tomatoes, a 9' tall cherry tomato, 12 onions, 2 Jalapenos, 1 sweet bell pepper, 2 hot banana peppers, 1 zucchini, 1 cucumber (the zucchini and cucumber I let grow out of the garden they get massive, and a small patch of parsley and cilantro. A small garden can go a long way. I even planted late, and I am in Toronto so the season is short. I had enough salsa and veggies, and I was giving bags of tomatoes away. Planting nothing but peppers in a garden that size with ample space and light, your laughing. And the planters you have already have more sq/ft than mine... your golden man.

Web-Buht-Jolokia_zps6b5e315e.jpg
Web-Garden-Bed_zps0cb82678.jpg

I had 22 pepper plants last year in my garden 8 x 20 and gave away close to 20 pounds and still have a couple pounds in the freezer and more than I'll need in a year of dried pods/powder. These things will overload you quickly.

My background is in making hot sauce so I can never have too many peppers! I wish I had 20 pounds of morugas... and I might get my wish!

Back