• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Using Jiffy Pellets for germination

Hi everyone,

well i am ready to start my seeds and decided to go with the jiffy pellets in a dome ontop of a heat mat...

i only have one question :

do i have to soak the pellets in ph balanced water first ? and if so, how long and at what ph reading ?

thanks

POTAWIE said:
I've never adjusted ph for jiffies, but I do for rockwool

hey D,

anyluck yet ?

say the word and ill send some tomorrow...let me know.. no troubles at all for me...

thanks

oh, one more thing, what temperature do you keep the jiffy's at while germinating ?

thanks again

I've had great luck with jiffy's so far. 20 out of 20 seeds germinated. No pH balancing, just dumped bottled poland spring on them.

I've had decent luck with Jiffys but they seem more susceptible to mold than rockwool. Rockwool is so easy, that's now the only way I'll go in the future. But all I ever put on my Jiffy's before was warm water. BTW, for Hotpeppa - your Red Savina's sprouted quick, Bhuts are taking their time. (Seeds planted Jan 4th) I'll post some pics when they pop.

I used jiffy pellets last year with some Bhuts and had 100% germination. I have used jiffy pellets for my tomatoes every year and the work very well. I have never had mold problem with the pellets. I always take off the netting before transplanting.

I agree with BigT you have to watch for mold but in my other thread (100% Germination) I got pretty good results using the same set as you and no balancing ph

Hotpeppa said:
Hi everyone,

well i am ready to start my seeds and decided to go with the jiffy pellets in a dome ontop of a heat mat...

i only have one question :

do i have to soak the pellets in ph balanced water first ? and if so, how long and at what ph reading ?

thanks

I am looking at the exact same set-up to germinate the seeds I have received from the wonderful people on this forum. I will likely go to the Wal-Boutique this weekend and buy the same kit. I believe it's called the Jiffy heated greenhouse. It's about $30.

Once the seeds have germinated do you immediately move them into pots or can you leave them in the peat until the first real leaves develop? Is it a question of the roots becoming "bound"..? And would it help to leave the pots on the heating mat even after germinated...or is the temperature of the soil only important during the germination stage?

My first time germinating seeds...can you tell? :lol:

no take them out they will get to leggy if you leave them in. i set them on a plate or something simular and in a place that gets a lot of sun. once the second set of leaves grow i tear the netting off and plant them still in the jiffy just minus the net. pm me if you need more info

naganero said:
no take them out they will get to leggy if you leave them in.

No, they get leggy because they don't have enough light.

i set them on a plate or something simular and in a place that gets a lot of sun. once the second set of leaves grow i tear the netting off and plant them still in the jiffy just minus the net. pm me if you need more info

Most peppers need more light than can be supplied by sunlight through a window. You don't need the elaborate set ups some of these guys wank themselves into, but supplemental fluorescent lighting will go a long way towards keeping your seedlings from being leggy.

PrairieChilihead said:
Once the seeds have germinated do you immediately move them into pots or can you leave them in the peat until the first real leaves develop? Is it a question of the roots becoming "bound"..? And would it help to leave the pots on the heating mat even after germinated...or is the temperature of the soil only important during the germination stage?

My first time germinating seeds...can you tell? :lol:

How warm do you keep your house? I leave my peppers on heat until I'm ready to move them outside. I don't want the plants to get below 60F degrees at night, and I prefer that they stay around 70F.

As to transplanting, the problem is not so much that they will be come root bound that early, the problem is that peppers send out a decent tap root when they sprout, and you don't want to unduly disturb that when transplanting. The roots will grow right through the webbing on the peat pellet, so you want to be very gentle when removing the webbing and transplanting the seedling.

Honestly, I don't start my peppers in peat pellets because I don't want to have to fuss with transplanting that early. I'm basically lazy, and try to time things so I only have to transplant the peppers once, straight into the ground. I save the peat pellets for tomatoes, herbs, and flowers that aren't as root fussy as some peppers are.

Pam said:
How warm do you keep your house? I leave my peppers on heat until I'm ready to move them outside. I don't want the plants to get below 60F degrees at night, and I prefer that they stay around 70F.

As to transplanting, the problem is not so much that they will be come root bound that early, the problem is that peppers send out a decent tap root when they sprout, and you don't want to unduly disturb that when transplanting. The roots will grow right through the webbing on the peat pellet, so you want to be very gentle when removing the webbing and transplanting the seedling.

Honestly, I don't start my peppers in peat pellets because I don't want to have to fuss with transplanting that early. I'm basically lazy, and try to time things so I only have to transplant the peppers once, straight into the ground. I save the peat pellets for tomatoes, herbs, and flowers that aren't as root fussy as some peppers are.

I have a two tier stand with a built in ballast on both levels, i purchased a dome and put all my jiffy pellets into it, then placed it under the lights... i have a thermo reading 30 degrees Celcius...

So far so good ? its been one day....

can anyone tell me more about mold with these pellets ?

should i try and remove the dome every now and then to prevent high moisture and humidity ?

thanks

i read on a few sepearte occasions here that a weak chamomile tea will help prevent mold. Hydrogen peroxide supposed to help too. Can anyone confirm this?

I open up my dome once a day for about 10 minutes to let new air circulate and use plain spring water, haven't had any problems with mold.

Back