• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Using Kim Chi juice

Has anyone used store bought refrigerated Kim Chi juice to start fermenting?

I picked up a few quarts at a local Asian Market but couldn't get an answer rather or not it would return to fermenting/bubbling if left out of the fridge. Know it will transfer some of the flavor over but that may not be a bad thing. If this won't work I'll get some sourdough started and use that.

RocketMan said:
Yep as long as it's still an active culture it'll work fine. 
Thank Rocket.

Hasn't reactivated yet but got a tube of lactobicillus today and have a couple on order since they only keep 1 on hand.  Just need to figure out the ratio for my mash volume to lacto.  Will keep searching here for that.

I lived in Merritt Island for 8 years while going school at Rollins and running a charter boat out of the port.  Where abouts do you live down there? I come down often or at least I used to but will probably be a few less trips now that I have a little one around but should still make it down a few times a year.

The Grand Market on Little River Turnpike near 395 sells Kimchi that looks like they make in house.  I've had at least one package of that stuff that if I wasn't eating it daily I'd have to burp the lid to keep the pressure from building up to much.

I made some kimchi a month ago and I've got half a jar left. I might try tossing some of that liquid in and see how it goes.

It's super super sour though, I wonder if the bacteria is still going strong or if it's faded off.

Crank39 said:
The Grand Market on Little River Turnpike near 395 sells Kimchi that looks like they make in house.  I've had at least one package of that stuff that if I wasn't eating it daily I'd have to burp the lid to keep the pressure from building up to much.
Thanks I will see how this batch does then check them out if I need another juice. Starting the chopping now.

Back