• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Using Kim Chi juice

Has anyone used store bought refrigerated Kim Chi juice to start fermenting?

I picked up a few quarts at a local Asian Market but couldn't get an answer rather or not it would return to fermenting/bubbling if left out of the fridge. Know it will transfer some of the flavor over but that may not be a bad thing. If this won't work I'll get some sourdough started and use that.

RocketMan said:
Yep as long as it's still an active culture it'll work fine. 
Thank Rocket.

Hasn't reactivated yet but got a tube of lactobicillus today and have a couple on order since they only keep 1 on hand.  Just need to figure out the ratio for my mash volume to lacto.  Will keep searching here for that.

I lived in Merritt Island for 8 years while going school at Rollins and running a charter boat out of the port.  Where abouts do you live down there? I come down often or at least I used to but will probably be a few less trips now that I have a little one around but should still make it down a few times a year.

The Grand Market on Little River Turnpike near 395 sells Kimchi that looks like they make in house.  I've had at least one package of that stuff that if I wasn't eating it daily I'd have to burp the lid to keep the pressure from building up to much.

I made some kimchi a month ago and I've got half a jar left. I might try tossing some of that liquid in and see how it goes.

It's super super sour though, I wonder if the bacteria is still going strong or if it's faded off.

Crank39 said:
The Grand Market on Little River Turnpike near 395 sells Kimchi that looks like they make in house.  I've had at least one package of that stuff that if I wasn't eating it daily I'd have to burp the lid to keep the pressure from building up to much.
Thanks I will see how this batch does then check them out if I need another juice. Starting the chopping now.

Back