• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! Oktoberfest Throwdown 2010

Who had the best?

• JayT - Jay T's Bhut-n-Beer Pumpkin Soup and Oktoberfest Braised Oxtail Ragu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • geeme - Oktoberfeist GeeMe Style

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
The 2nd Annual Oktoberfest Throwdown has begun.

Rules:

1. One appetizer and one entree both with German beer or German style beer as an ingredient. All other ingredients open. Any cooking method.

2. Both must include an ingredient derived from hot peppers.

3. Teaser pics with ingredients and cooking are allowed.

4. Proof of Life = $1.05 must be posted in teaser pic, if no teaser, in plating pic.

5. For your entry to be eligible you must create one post in this topic with:
a) The name of your creation.
b) The ingredients used and cooking methods. Actual measurements not required but appreciated.
c) A plating picture with one appetizer and one entree on separate plates and the beer used in a glass with the bottle or can next to it.

ENDS Sunday at 10:00 pm EDT.

No questions about these rules, use your best judgement and get cooking!

THP has spoken, let the PARTYbegin :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :beer: :beer: :beer:

qohtp4.jpg

May the best man, women or child win.

Sadly, I have to sit this one out, as I gotta work all weekend and just can't seem to bring myself to be able to cook with beer or other alcohol and NOT drink any. Wish all of ya the best of luck and above all, eat well and have fun.

Thanks geeme, you just solved my app problem :crazy: Bummer PF you'll be missed for sure, at least stay tuned which I'm sure you will

after LogChief'S minimalist teaser pic....here's a little more to whet your appetites...

oktoberfesttd1002.jpg

this does not represent all of the ingredients, and more will be shown later while others have already been used.... :)

BUT~~~ as the appetizer is the anticipation of the meal, here's a teaser of the app...
oktoberfesttd1004.jpg

oktoberfesttd1005.jpg

The packet contains a generous portion of chipotle.....that's for the heat.........the rest will show tomorrow.

Great start, LC! German beer, chiles, .....

PERKO!!! tell us more, amigo~

after LogChief'S minimalist teaser pic....

Great start, LC! German beer, chiles, .....

Well SL after that minimalist pic, here are the MAXIMIZED ones ;)

A heart healthy, low fat German appetizer

2co4t4p.jpg

And the entree

1z56vc4.jpg

There are quite a few other inert ingredients that I deemed unnecessary to picture so as not to detract from potential flavor of the finished dishes. :D

As I posted earlier, Texas is a rich mix of German and Mexican influences...so these should go well together. This will be pork carnitas simmered in a green chile/beer/garlic 'broth' for 4 hours. The app will be borracho beans that I will have to start 5 hours before the pig.

My teaser for "Mein Carnitas, Ya'll"

thptdoktoberfest-1.jpg

*My wife came into the kitchen and said, "Your'e using all those peppers?" :hell:

Nice one, LunchBox! I see the $1.05 in the picture, but just to be sure, you may want to put cold cash in one of your other pics- ;)

Here's what I picked up from the local butcher today, made with the homegrown chiles I gave them earlier this week. I asked Cris to make some decent sized links, here's what we got- :eek:

oktbrfstTD1001.jpg

oktbrfstTD1002.jpg

those are a couple Peter Peppers and fataliis out of the greenhouse also.

Here's the links, starting to get "happy"-
oktbrfstTD1006.jpg

I keep screwing up on this TD, though! Needed some beer for the marinade, so I used a bottle and a half to cover the meat. Didn't want it to go to waste, so I drank the rest of the bottle. Realized I needed another 1/2 cup for the appetizer dip, so I opened another bottle for the 1/2 cup, didn't want to waste that bottle either, so I drank the rest of it.

Needed some for the rest of the appetizer (which you will see later...) out came another bottle. The rest of that one would be flat by the time I needed it for anything else, so down the hatch it went! And promptly after finishing that one I remembered that the brats needed beer for simmering .....so back to the reefer for another bottle and 1/2!

Man, I hate it when I mess up like that! :rofl:

:cool:

Looking good rockstars, @lunchbox I am very curious to see how yours turns out, ingredients look good :)

I'm going for a surf first then hit the supermarket on the way home, watch the NRL Grand Final and then drunkenly create my dishes. Not going to be much of a contender this month due to April entering this month.

[quote name='salsalady' timestamp='1286059590' post='388327]
I keep screwing up on this TD, though! Needed some beer for the marinade, so I used a bottle and a half to cover the meat. Didn't want it to go to waste, so I drank the rest of the bottle. Realized I needed another 1/2 cup for the appetizer dip, so I opened another bottle for the 1/2 cup, didn't want to waste that bottle either, so I drank the rest of it.

Needed some for the rest of the appetizer (which you will see later...) out came another bottle. The rest of that one would be flat by the time I needed it for anything else, so down the hatch it went! And promptly after finishing that one I remembered that the brats needed beer for simmering .....so back to the reefer for another bottle and 1/2!

Man, I hate it when I mess up like that! :rofl:

:cool:
[/quote]

Only problem SL is you just didn't buy enough beer, that's what beer is for DRINKING :beer: cooking with it is an after thought, though it does add a nice flavor

Nice looking custom sausages :woohoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back