• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Always enjoy stopping by Ra mon! I have to bring something over to justify eating all your caliente smoked mackerel dip!
Thanks Steve, I took the Chocolate Hab dip/spread to work today and it was gone in a few minutes :/ … I knew better than taking the smoked mackerel dip, lol.

I could probably be tempted with escargot, but I had some conch salad at Danny's Conch Shack (literally on the beach in NW Exuma, Bahamas) with an ice cold Kalik and it was incredible. Definitely one of my top 5 meals ever. Cool looking catepillar.
Love conch salad & Kalik, especially with Bahamian Goat Pepper in da salad and there’s no place better to enjoy it other than the breath taking views of the sapphire blue waters around the Exuma’s :) … still I pass on escargot, I’ve had to kill too many of dem snails over the years bare handed and the slime is enough to turn off a devoted escargot lover, heh.

Dunno about those caterpillars??? Look like some kind of small hornworm. Kill them then figure it out! Here is a pic of a huge hornworm feasing on my Manzano last year...
Yup...it ate the whole freakin pod and more! Grrrrrr....
Great point Shane, him dead and asked question later, hehe. I hate dem hornworms … Dem things have a ferocious appetite. 2 years back one got on one of my baby coconut palms and I didn’t see that palm daily. In roughly 48 hours that bitchhhh ate every green palm leaf off several fronds and as you know baby coconut palms only have a few fronds to start with :(

Those have their own predators, fortunately:
If you wait for them predators you might be out a few plants or entire corp :-0 before dat hornworms dead …

Man those cats look massive... eat a whole pod? Man that is gicantic lol Glad I've only got monkeys to worry about
If the monkeys figure out how to use a knife and fork, runnnn!!!!!! lol!

Thanks all for popping by, love dem comments and great contributions …

That is a crzy caterpillar shot, Sawyer.

Those are braconid wasp coccoons. They'll do a number on a hornworm, but as Ramon said, you don't want to wait around hoping a wasp will find the worm(s). If I find a parasitized worm, I'll leave it alone, but the rest get the boot.

Those are braconid wasp coccoons. They'll do a number on a hornworm, but as Ramon said, you don't want to wait around hoping a wasp will find the worm(s). If I find a parasitized worm, I'll leave it alone, but the rest get the boot.
Sawyer doesn't the parasitized worm continue doing serious damage till dem wasp's get him? I would at least pull him off my peppers if that was the case.

Sawyer doesn't the parasitized worm continue doing serious damage till dem wasp's get him? I would at least pull him off my peppers if that was the case.

I thought they kind of lost their apetite, but I wouldn't swear that's always the case. The ones I've seen have been moving slowly and didn't seem interested in eating. Probably depends on how many eggs/larva/coccoons he's got. The white things are the coccoons, so the eggs have hatched and the larva have fed. So yeah, if the hornworm is still lively at the stage of the photo, probably best to pick him.

Tanks for dat seaweed bredren!

filled 3/4 of a 5 gal bucket capped with plastic bag and bungie cord!

The article on the coffee tea as both an incectidide & fertilzer you sent me.....awesome

I thought they kind of lost their apetite, but I wouldn't swear that's always the case. The ones I've seen have been moving slowly and didn't seem interested in eating. Probably depends on how many eggs/larva/coccoons he's got. The white things are the coccoons, so the eggs have hatched and the larva have fed. So yeah, if the hornworm is still lively at the stage of the photo, probably best to pick him.

PICK and DESTROY, mi hermano. Pick and DESTROY! Those brown lacewigs another matter, but dang: up here I just got to deal with woodchucks aka, groundhogs. And anybody think they won't kill a plant, a dog, a cat, a cow, a . . .

Very funny story. Came back from run and my mother was over. Neighbor yells at me as am coming back from run: "There's a big groundhog in your garden eating it!" OH. HELL. NO. I ran downstairs with .22 rifle, my mother yelling at me: "You can't shoot a rifle in town limits!" FINE. I got my axe and went after the mofo with an axe. I'm doing the martial arts scream, Mao Ying meets Rambo, and the thing's reared up: whistle pigs. I guess it thought I was whistling. Dang, had some serious teeth and claws but I was PEEIIISSED OFF. Hot summer, still in running bra, shorts, barefoot, crazy woman going after this thing on hind-legs baring teeth. THEN, my mother is screaming out a window, my neighbor is screaming that it will kill me; I don't give a sheeit, it's gonna feel the blade: those women scared it off. IT RAN. I looked at them, like . . . and then looked at a zuke eaten down to NOTHING. Set up a night stalk for it. Bought night vision scope to see at dusk. Waited and killed the sucker with .22. Head-shot. Planted another zuke: all was well. Pick and DESTROY, Ramon! Remember Nazareth's Hair of the Dog? "Now ya messin' with a . . ." :P

PICK and DESTROY, mi hermano. Pick and DESTROY! Those brown lacewigs another matter, but dang: up here I just got to deal with woodchucks aka, groundhogs. And anybody think they won't kill a plant, a dog, a cat, a cow, a . . .

Very funny story. Came back from run and my mother was over. Neighbor yells at me as am coming back from run: "There's a big groundhog in your garden eating it!" OH. HELL. NO. I ran downstairs with .22 rifle, my mother yelling at me: "You can't shoot a rifle in town limits!" FINE. I got my axe and went after the mofo with an axe. I'm doing the martial arts scream, Mao Ying meets Rambo, and the thing's reared up: whistle pigs. I guess it thought I was whistling. Dang, had some serious teeth and claws but I was PEEIIISSED OFF. Hot summer, still in running bra, shorts, barefoot, crazy woman going after this thing on hind-legs baring teeth. THEN, my mother is screaming out a window, my neighbor is screaming that it will kill me; I don't give a sheeit, it's gonna feel the blade: those women scared it off. IT RAN. I looked at them, like . . . and then looked at a zuke eaten down to NOTHING. Set up a night stalk for it. Bought night vision scope to see at dusk. Waited and killed the sucker with .22. Head-shot. Planted another zuke: all was well. Pick and DESTROY, Ramon! Remember Nazareth's Hair of the Dog? "Now ya messin' with a . . ." :P

Let me clarify myself, I would pick the worm off as I’ve seen sever damage from them and allow the predator lacewings to hatch in a box near my peppers. As far as the rest of your bolded comments Annie, Whoa I wana party with you girl!

Bueno, bueno: que Jah bendiga a los gusanos que se comen las plantas :rolleyes: . Tu nuevo nombre es "Agusanado." :rofl: O, "Gusa" . . . y juntos, tal vez en la carcél, pero . . . ¡vale la peno contigo! And nice enough not to write in English, "Gusa." ;)

Hey, friend and I were talking yesterday about spending 15 days or so on Manasota Key this summer. (If I can get a nephew to watch, aka, pay him, to take care of garden. Pick maters, pepper pods, whatever. My other half is afraid of tiburones, smh.) Another nephew is dentist in Naples, has boat, has invited me down from M-Key, so might just jump over to see you, mon. (Not in boat :rolleyes: .) Nos vemos :cool:

Walkgood, how tings goin mon? That pineapple is something beautiful! I've never seen something quite like that! THats an awesome lookin pod from Steve. Sounds like you boys are having fun down there in paradise. I dabbled in reading about growing a pineapple before but never went through with it. I tried growing cocoa trees last year too, had em growing nicely and spring time came and I put em outside the first night and the next morning they were completely gone. I never thought a squirrel would get them. Needless to say I was pissed. Any pointers on the pineapples? Do you just cut the top and stick it back in soil or do you do something different?

lol and when I'm among the chillies they drink my beers!
No one messes with your beer ... WalkGood runs to get shotgun :D

Walkgood, how tings goin mon? That pineapple is something beautiful! I've never seen something quite like that!
Thanks Jamison, the great thing about them is that they run on auto pilot, don’t need water hardly ever and I’ve yet to see any bug or animal mess with them or the fruit. They're like an armor built tank, tuff as nails! That said, pineapples take 8 months to grow if you use slips. If not it takes 2 to 3 years or longer to bear fruit if you use the top of a pineapple. That said, it’s always nice to eating stuff you grow and the ones I've had are juicier and organically grown in comparison to the ones I've bought from stores.

THats an awesome lookin pod from Steve. Sounds like you boys are having fun down there in paradise. I dabbled in reading about growing a pineapple before but never went through with it. I tried growing cocoa trees last year too, had em growing nicely and spring time came and I put em outside the first night and the next morning they were completely gone. I never thought a squirrel would get them. Needless to say I was pissed. Any pointers on the pineapples? Do you just cut the top and stick it back in soil or do you do something different?
Yea it’s nice to get together with Steve and bounce growing ideas off each other, we missed each other at the beach last weekend but he did finally make it down there. Yes that pod was awesome, tasty too ... Sucks to read about your cocoa tree, you going to try again? Pineapples are easy to grow but will take too long from the top. Not sure you can buy slips (also called shoots or suckers), I got mine from previous grows as I keep them year round. Sometimes a plant can put out a few of them. Slips only take 8 months to bear fruit VS years with tops, IIRC I wrote a little about this in post #431 but if you have any specific questions let me know. Originally I did the same as you and read about it, the first time I did it years back I only grew one and got a slip, from that slip I got 2 or 3 more. Once a plant bears fruit it’s best to go with the pup (slip) as the pineapple will be born faster. Although I have read that some plants have produced more than one fruit, not sure but I’m guessing that isn’t common. Great luck and success if you grow one and let me know ^_^

Minor update:
Group shot: left side three SB MoA’s, center above one Trinidad Scorpion Red (#2), center below one White Bhut Jolokia (#4), right side top Moruga Red (#11), right side center Chocolate Scorpion (#3), right side below Bhut Jolokia (#6). I've lost a few to fungal gnats (Yellow Bonnet Jamaica #1, Butch T Scorpion #5 and Butch T #12)
nn1is6.jpg

SB MoA
29xdw5t.jpg

2zp4l88.jpg

Lunch today … Ok, I didn’t forget Jamie’s (romy6’s) peppers; below are 2 of his Yellow scorp chopped and sautéed with onions in extra virgin olive oil.
2m2uc05.jpg

Toss onto that sofrito some chopped up steak.
j9rbls.jpg

Place the sautéed steak, onions & peppers onto toasted rye bread and season to taste.
29l1t37.jpg

Melt some cheese onto that in broiler and you’re ready for open face steak & cheese sandwiches.
3021elh.jpg

Thanks for stopping in everyone :)

Ramon. No worries. I take no offense to anything said here. It's a community forum. Perpective is crucial. While some may take offense. I don't see it as offensive. All is well with te JA. 3/4 sprouted and in sure that's all I'll need. I think they are starting to set true leaves now. I'm a little behind. The MoA is not far behind 3/5 so far. 1/3 is completely free. Can't wait. Hope all is well with te aphids

Ramon. No worries. I take no offense to anything said here. It's a community forum. Perpective is crucial.
Denniz , good to read as I agree perspective is crucial or did you mean perception? Regardless I hold no grudges and much less on da net. I am assuming you are talking about what I said in the SB MoA glog here, here or here. While you might not see it, I still feel the same way and if it were your beloved pepper, I'd be standing up for you! I know that the name given to the scotch bonnet seeds that Steve acquired from the Ministry he coined as “Scotch Bonnet MoA,” which is very important to him. So it stands to reason that he would run a thread about them. The very least you could have done is PM’d him and ask, I certainly would have. I would feel the same way if someone started a glog about my beloved Jamaican Habanero that I carried back from Jamaica and have grown for years. What Steve and I discussed in real life is nothing like what was posted, trust me he’s a gentleman.

While some may take offense. I don't see it as offensive.
I don’t take offense either and no worries on my end, this is the net … thin skins don’t belong ;)

All is well with te JA. 3/4 sprouted and in sure that's all I'll need. I think they are starting to set true leaves now. I'm a little behind.
Happy you have them up and running and hope you enjoy the flavor as much as we do :)

The MoA is not far behind 3/5 so far. 1/3 is completely free. Can't wait. Hope all is well with te aphids
60% is great, while I’ve done good with mine 5/5, I lost 2 of them to a raccoon :/ But I will plant the rest in spring or summer. All we need is one good plant and I can’t wait to see the pods. AFAIK Steve already has a bunch forming and this is great news for the pepper community that loves Scotch Bonnets … good great luck with the rest of the grow :)

Back