• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Nice start. What are you soaking the seeds in prior to planting??
Home filtered water, should I have used something else?

Update
Transplanted 5 plants to their final pots this afternoon and I have to give a "Big Up" to my wife as her help in the garden is invaluable, but first we stripped a few peppers that were close to ripening. Sorry for the crappy shots but I just wanted to jump in da shower so I didn’t focus cause I was rushing. I'll try to take some pics of the beat up jalopy pots I picked up at a construction site, but needed larger pots for 5 and they should do for a season or two. They were in such bad shape that I had to stack 3 together lol, but free. BTW these pods are in a clay bowl I spun similar to the blue cobalt one pictured earlier here, but it's a different style of pottery.
2wme1ck.jpg

Check out the stinger I found on one of the pods I picked \o/ and it's not a ripper reaper :D
mikj8n.jpg

Edit: I've now found 2 of these, I'm keeping these seeds separate and growing on next planting to see what they yield but I'm sure these have not crossed with any other peppers, so we'll see ....

Not necessarily but I personally ( and know a few others who do as well) use chamomile tea as its an anti fungal and also softens the seed shell nicely

With the help of my 85 year old mom today I planted my first super hots. She had 2 egg cartons on her refrigerator and showed me how to use the half shells the very same way you did. Must be an old time way of doing things. Good luck with the grow. BTW I miss living on the Florida coast and everything that went with it. Hope to be back someday. Love the photos I will have to work harder on mine to live up to this forum. :P

Nice looking pods, dude! Your one with the tail that wasn't hot, did it have a good taste? It doesn't have any bumps that show up in the pic. Did it have any?

Not necessarily but I personally ( and know a few others who do as well) use chamomile tea as its an anti fungal and also softens the seed shell nicely
Interesting, I could see trying that … thanks for the idea.

With the help of my 85 year old mom today I planted my first super hots. She had 2 egg cartons on her refrigerator and showed me how to use the half shells the very same way you did. Must be an old time way of doing things. Good luck with the grow. BTW I miss living on the Florida coast and everything that went with it. Hope to be back someday. Love the photos I will have to work harder on mine to live up to this forum. :P
I figured my grandfather & mom were not the only ones doing it, my grandfather was a farmer, hunter in Cuba and he always told me that he learned from parents too. Good luck with your grow in 13 as well & thanks for the nice picture comments :)

Nice looking pods, dude!
Thanks for looking and commenting ...

Your one with the tail that wasn't hot, did it have a good taste?
Sorry it was a typo and I did not intend to mislead anyone. That's a one off JA hab, first time I've seen a stinger on any of my Jamaicans. I was trying to play a pun on the Carolina Reaper and rather than spelling Reaper correctly I spelled ripper, lol’in at myself now but I just corrected it. All my Jamaican habs taste very similar IMO, hotter than a regular hab but I might be biased and they have a delightful fruity, citrus-like flavor when fully rip. Personally I love the taste and for many seasons its been the only pepper I grew as I’m more into taste followed by heat.

It doesn't have any bumps that show up in the pic. Did it have any?
You are correct no bumps, while I find them very hot/picante they are not in the super hot category.

Edit: I was reading Prehensile’s post here and ran out to take a few pics of my JA bush, lol … IIRC it has like 9 plants in one ;)

igm780.jpg
2njvmyq.jpg

35bdt1e.jpg

5n8xo8.jpg
2mpiqfb.jpg

Nice seed list you have there. Good selection. I'm a fan of scotch bonnets. And my coworker is a big fan of me haha due to her being Jamaican. She loves it when I can share some with her (thanks Greg an Gary). Will follow this

Nice bowl o' peppers in post #61!
Plants look great, WG. The one with all the 'trunks'
is very cool; would make a great bonchi!

Absolutely love the shot of the bowl of peppers. It makes me think that I am living in the wrong climate.

+1 for the cool trunks. I have never tried growing bush varieties, and that looks so incredibly cool it made me want to give it a go one day.

Nice seed list you have there. Good selection. I'm a fan of scotch bonnets. And my coworker is a big fan of me haha due to her being Jamaican. She loves it when I can share some with her (thanks Greg an Gary). Will follow this
Big Up mon! Thanks for checkin de log and respect braa! While I grew various seasons over many years before I lived in Jamaica (I born Cuban), I think living there got me back into growing every year. Also helped me focus on the pepper I enjoy eating the most. So in previous years I’ve had little to no varieties compared to now. When you see her say “whaa gwaan?” which should mean how are you/what’s going on mon, heh. What parish is she from? Keep in mind that my Spanish is much better than any Jamaican Patois, lol.

Nice bowl o' peppers in post #61!
Plants look great, WG. The one with all the 'trunks'
is very cool; would make a great bonchi!
Thanks Paul you’re too kind as that group of pics were really bad, didn’t shoot in raw, barely focused and I believe color levels are a bit off … so you caught me with my pants down mon, lol! Not sure what you mean by “bonchi,” is that typo for bonsai? If so, I don’t know much about them but do know that in this case they’ll have limited growth as each plant should stunt the others total grow capability. Thanks for popping in :)

Absolutely love the shot of the bowl of peppers. It makes me think that I am living in the wrong climate.
Come on down, plenty of warm climate and space for a few more peeps :) I think you'll love the climate but miss your winters ... tks for shot feedback ...

+1 for the cool trunks. I have never tried growing bush varieties, and that looks so incredibly cool it made me want to give it a go one day.
Maybe I can make a suggestion, ask Sophia to pick her favorite pepper that she enjoys eating and have her germinate a bunch of seeds in an egg like I do. Once a few sprout have her crack up the egg while planting into a bigger pot … you got nothing to loose and it looks cool. In my case all my plants live outside so there is some fuggly leaves here and there but it’s still a bit cool mon, thanks for the positive vib mon :)

Looking good Ramon! Did you use any of your chiles to make Asado with on New Years?
You gonna laugh me down, first year in many we didn’t do an “Asado,” which I’m interpreting you mean grill out of ribs/meat of some sort. I’ve been sick with head flu and my wife’s a great trooper, picks up when ever I slack off. That said, yes we use chilies in almost everything I cook, wifey & our 14 yr. old love them too. But we have to use dem light when including our 12 yr. old. On New Years Eve my wife made a slow oven cooked pork roast and she used 1 ½ peppers keeping it tame. But we always keep extra on the side for those of us that like to kick it up a notch. Thanks for popping in and I truly enjoy reading about your cooking, last one I read you drove me off the net to eat, lol!

Those habs do look perfect Ramon. Can't wait to see what you cook up with them ( hint hint).

Keep up the log. You keep me smiling and love all the pics. A five star grow right out of the gate :party:

Hey, WG, Whaa Gwaan, mon? Bonchi is like a bobsai,
except for peppers. You can search this forum for info
on how to and there are some good posts on other sites
about making bonchi. I plan to give it a whirl this Spring
with a couple of OW's if they survive.

Good luck carrying on with your 'Jamaican grow', brah!

Those habs do look perfect Ramon. Can't wait to see what you cook up with them ( hint hint).

Keep up the log. You keep me smiling and love all the pics. A five star grow right out of the gate :party:
Thank you, I enjoy your glog as well! Hopefully I cook up some fish this weekend but don't think it will hold a candle to the tamales you've been enjoying :)

/me gawn chase dem mañana ... \o_
`&middot;`&middot;}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;...}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;...}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;...}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;..}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;...}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;..}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;}>((((&ordm;>.,..
}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;...((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;..}><((((&ordm;>.,..&middot;`&middot;...}><((((&ordm;>

Nice glog already. Those are some bushes ya got there. Starts look good. Can't wait to see the eggs pop a sprout!
Thanks! And I can&rsquo;t wait to see dem sprout either, on a side note I get the feeling these might take a little longer than normal as I don&rsquo;t have a heating pad and its been a little colder than usual here lately &hellip; hmm maybe a trip to sun by the pool is in order for dem little eggs ;)

Hi Mate , just been reading through your 2013 grow , love seeing the cooking with pod pics , Keep them coming mate ..

best of luck.
Thanks, I&rsquo;m still fighting bugs and the leaves aren&rsquo;t perfect like others but at least I&rsquo;m enjoying fresh pods and loving it :) Back at you on havin a great grow too!!!

Hey, WG, Whaa Gwaan, mon? Bonchi is like a bobsai,
except for peppers. You can search this forum for info
on how to and there are some good posts on other sites
about making bonchi.

Good luck carrying on with your 'Jamaican grow', brah!
Thanks Paul, I found this thread but can&rsquo;t see the pics, so I then found this other thread and understand now &hellip; super cool brah :) thanks!

I plan to give it a whirl this Spring with a couple of OW's if they survive.
Cool, I plan on following along, take lots of pics and have a great grow too :)

Good luck. I will be following along
Thanks and back at ya mon, great grow in 13 as well &hellip; I be watching :)

Now for something special, check this pod out ;)

Should be open in a few days, I'll follow up with mo pics ...

Been kinda cool here in South Florida lately, kind of like running the AC but outdoors and in the house (upper 60&rsquo;s to mid 70&rsquo;s nights/mornings and occasionally colder). The baby new starts planted on 1/1/13 haven&rsquo;t shown their heads yet and papa doesn&rsquo;t have any of those fancy heating pads :/ &hellip; I normally don&rsquo;t start seeds this time of year but I was/am all fired up with all the great glogs I read here, so I forged forward.

So this morning the baby new starts (fingers crossed hope to soon be) decided to take a little 30 minutes of early morning sun by the pool :D After a little sun tan lotion and a make shift cabana roof erected it was off to da pool for some photo shoots, hehe

2m3snlz.jpg

After baking in the sun for a bit and fear of the neighbors dog dropping by and eating up egg shells, yes that&rsquo;s happened before, they decided to join their sisters up high sunning on the patio table, lol.

33yrinm.jpg

While looking up at one of their sisters, one of the babies yelled up &ldquo;girl you got the goods&rdquo; ;)

2rhagt2.jpg

Sister Serrano pictured above.

Back