• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

"If" :rofl:

Hahah, I was actually debating over starting some now along with some more Bubblegum 7 Pot and 7 Pot Rennies...I was thinking I could just start them up at the office where it doesn't frost and leave them there until I transfer in January...then I would only have to hold them over a few months until plant out. Hmmmm....decisions...I could never pass up an opportunity to grow such an amazing looking pepper! Production looks about like a few of my others that only throw out one or two per node...but I got plenty of peppers. I would grow those for their pure beauty and flavor. 

stc3248 said:
"If" :rofl:

Hahah, I was actually debating over starting some now along with some more Bubblegum 7 Pot and 7 Pot Rennies...I was thinking I could just start them up at the office where it doesn't frost and leave them there until I transfer in January...then I would only have to hold them over a few months until plant out. Hmmmm....decisions...I could never pass up an opportunity to grow such an amazing looking pepper! Production looks about like a few of my others that only throw out one or two per node...but I got plenty of peppers. I would grow those for their pure beauty and flavor. 
Awesome \o/ if you need a push shove I vote go for it ... you won't regret it and you'll be way ahead by plant out ^_^

Great looking MOA's and White Bhuts Ramon!!  

There is no evidence to say that a picture perfect pod will have offspring which are more likely to be perfect and most say that it is the plants overall genetics which determine the pod shapes (which I am in agreement with to a point) but if you have the choice of saving seeds from a picture perfect pod or a misshapen misfit style pod I know where my preference would lie.  (I believe that Alabama Jack selected his Butch T's seed stock for his subsequent seasons using only the best looking pods and he had/has great looking pods and plants)

georgej said:

those MoA pods look awesome man! making me hungry!

Thanks for da kudos George, hope you gotz some seeds from Steve via Denniz for your next season ....

Trippa said:

Great looking MOA's and White Bhuts Ramon!! 

There is no evidence to say that a picture perfect pod will have offspring which are more likely to be perfect and most say that it is the plants overall genetics which determine the pod shapes (which I am in agreement with to a point) but if you have the choice of saving seeds from a picture perfect pod or a misshapen misfit style pod I know where my preference would lie.  (I believe that Alabama Jack selected his Butch T's seed stock for his subsequent seasons using only the best looking pods and he had/has great looking pods and plants)
Trip, thanks for the info and I think along your same lines, I will be starting some more MoAs from my “A” seeds soon. Should be interesting to see how they turn out and what types of pods they produce but I’m no researcher, lolz.

I picked a few pods today, small harvest but I’m always happy with a few pods to cook & eat with ^_^
16bg87s.jpg

The White Bhuts didn't get as white this second set of pods as the first pull ... I haven't tried one yet but will let you know if they've acquired any mas heat. Can't wait to dig into one ^_^
fcra6t.jpg

2eowetu.jpg

1zf2ypw.jpg

Have a great hump day tomorrow \o/

My guess is the second pull of white bhuts will be much hotter than the first. If your plants are the same as my the coolest ones are the first ones, and they get hotter as the summer goes on and they have more opportunity to get stressed by different things. 

When I really want to heat up a set of pods I stop watering completely so all they get is rain water. Those end up scorching hot. 

Ramon,
Great poster shot of the MoA's...

Just curious, how do you find the heat level of the MoA's compared to your JA Habs.......I'm finding the habs brighter with a bit more heat.

I'm still waiting for my Bhuts and Fatalii's to" whiten up".

Stefan_W said:
My guess is the second pull of white bhuts will be much hotter than the first. If your plants are the same as my the coolest ones are the first ones, and they get hotter as the summer goes on and they have more opportunity to get stressed by different things.

When I really want to heat up a set of pods I stop watering completely so all they get is rain water. Those end up scorching hot.
Yes this second batch is a little hotter but not much and in all honesty the taste of the white is soooo good that I’m fine with her at the current heat level. Yea I’ve done the water thing but no need now as it’s been so dry lately that they need a double drink a day just to keep the leaves from drooping.

Al-from-Chile said:
just put em in front of a Madonna poster ...

(raises stress levels to previously unknown heights :D )
Madonna ... Ewwwwwww, lolz

PIC 1 said:
Ramon, Great poster shot of the MoA's...
Thanks Greg ^_^ but I do dumb down da photos for the net so I doubt anyone copying to blow dem up would agree, lol.

PIC 1 said:
Just curious, how do you find the heat level of the MoA's compared to your JA Habs.......I'm finding the habs brighter with a bit more heat.
You are correct my friend, the JA Habs are hotter IMHO and sweeter too, but the MoA does have the classic Scotch Bonnet taste. You can make the JA Habs hotter than normal by stressing them but I have not found stress to affect the heat on the MoAs much. I'm fine with her current heat level but I'm sure there are some that will not find her hot enough but as you know they are completely different andI love them both!

PIC 1 said:
I'm still waiting for my Bhuts and Fatalii's to" whiten up".
Can’t wait to see your pictures and how they turn out, the White Bhut is a winner in my book, thanks for turning me on to her, she’s awesome! IMO my White Bhuts didn’t come out as white as the first round, could be the temps we’ve been having but IDK, although she's still super smexy! I plan on growing more and I’m hoping to start the white Fatalii soon, hope she's as tasty as her brethren.

Hope to take some pics of the clone I have going soon, she's doing better still in water than her sisters in soil but they're all alive.

PeriPeri said:
Wow, nice work Ramon. Love the white Bhuts - nice one!
Tanks Lourens ^_^ I’ll have some seed for ya soon but they don’t have many per pod, saving  dem up …

Devv said:
Nice haul Ramon!

Your pods are always beautiful!

Let us know what you think about the white Bhut.
Thanks Scott and you're pods are awesome as well brethrn ^_^  … I love the White Bhut, I have 3 clones beside the main plant and plan to start more so I can produce enough to make some white powder … da legal kind, lolz. I wrote something up on the White back here and I still feel the same about her, she’s smexy with a great taste. Hopefully I can hone in on a better description but for now that will have to do and she’s worth growing IMHO. BTW I don’t find her overly hot (less heat than the JA Hab) but she does have some nice fire to offer.  

Small harvests continue but this will be the last one for a while other than the occasional 2 or 3 pod pulls which are fine for the way we eat dem ^_^
2d26kc9.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Getting lazy on shooting pics after work, lol … this isn’t rocket science stuff, just pull the best looking pods aside, grade dem and seed them.[/SIZE]
317aazp.jpg

35lc0vt.jpg

PIC 1 said:
The Florida climate has been kind to your plants. Those are some super harvests! Comparable to a table in a Jamaican market.
Thanks Greg, hope they get bigger in a few months when the heat goes away.  

georgej said:
I don't i'm afraid.. i have one bonnet plant (dunno what kind).
It hasn't tried flowering yet, but it's a really pretty plant.
I have seed if you have a forwarding service I can send them to state side, let me know via pm.

romy6 said:
Nice pull on the MoA's Ray ray. :dance:
Just a few more months and our plants will really start to green up and produce some major poddage.  :party:
Thanks for the kudos brethren … and thanks for the pods too!!! Can't wait till major poddage \o/

Here’s a picture of the wonderful gift from Jamie (romy6). He goes all out and the most generous mon on THP IMHO … hat’s off brethren \o_

romy6 said:
Here is what ya got from left to right top to bottom:
4 chocolate habs, 2 yelloe primos, 3 not white bhuts. 1 brain, 1 dorsett naga, 1 more barrackpore

2 yellow 7's, 1 yellow scotch bonnet with tail , 1 red hab, 3 tepins, 2 brainsstrains

6 yellow cardi scorps, 4 red not douglah's ( cross of some sorts)

bottome right 7 more yellow 7's

14ieqtz.jpg

I ate this one with my son thinking it was a NC Reaper till Jamie told me it was a 7 pod barrackpore, lol.
29zwjzt.jpg

161nsk3.jpg

From what I could tell before the heat hit it tasted somewhat similar to raspberry (or some type of berry) with a very faint trace of citrus. Extremely powerful burn that lasted a long time but after the heat subsided the berry taste came back for a few minutes but wow what heat with a great taste!

Looking good down there Ramon! Nice pull on the MoAs too. Received a few from Matt and can't wait to get them in the ground next year on Pepper row. Humm, Might just have to do a re write of "Tobacco Road" to go along with Pepper Row :)

Our thanks for all the prayers and good thought raised for us during the whole purchase process. Man, it really makes a difference when you have a Realtor that is truly on your side. Now that we have it my wife has developed a mantra of sorts. She keeps saying "No Bill, the furniture comes first" Strange thing to say but....

:cool:

GnomeGrown said:
Jah, Mon!
:woohoo:
Tanks for da praise mon, have a great weekend \o/

RocketMan said:
Looking good down there Ramon! Nice pull on the MoAs too. Received a few from Matt and can't wait to get them in the ground next year on Pepper row. Humm, Might just have to do a re write of "Tobacco Road" to go along with Pepper Row :)
Didn’t know you wanted some MoA seed, if you want or need more seed just hail me and I’ll send dem. I have more than I’ll use now stored up, unless I go into farming dem ;)

RocketMan said:
Our thanks for all the prayers and good thought raised for us during the whole purchase process. Man, it really makes a difference when you have a Realtor that is truly on your side. Now that we have it my wife has developed a mantra of sorts. She keeps saying "No Bill, the furniture comes first" Strange thing to say but....
It’s great to hear that you & family are in your dream house, that’s just awesome mon! Now when it comes to furniture I wish I had not listened to my wife, the most expensive stuff we bought is or is in the process of being trashed by the kids, I’m a real Caribbean mon and had found more than a house full of high end bamboo furniture that was in perfect shape and other Caribbean looking furnashings for under $500.00. Sure it was used but in top shape that would last a life time and could be reupholstered if needed in the long run. But no she had to have new :/ I’m hoping my wife doesn’t read this … ROFLMAO!

I only pulled two White Bhuts the other day but hope to pull mas this weekend. I notice that the two I pulled were not as white as the first pull but after a few days on the counter she’s whitened up more. I didn’t give her sister any time to whiten as I ate her as fast as I pulled her, lolz …
sqh3f8.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Nice haul on the MoA's Ramon!

Also liked the review of the Barrackpore, glad it has a nice flavor. Jaime sent me some of them real early in the season, I used them in a powder, cuz at the time I was too chicken to eat them. However I saved the seed and will have them in the dirt next season.

Um...Mrs. Walkgood....did you read post #1798?

I hear 'yall about the furniture, our kids wrecked everything we ever bought. I waited until they left before getting anything nice....but now we have grandkids..LOL just can't win on that one!

That white bhut pod looks tastey, interesting how you describe it as a kumquat tangeriney taste. I got a crazy question out of all the peppers you grow which is your favorite tasting or that you can cook with everyday and not get tired of. Thanks again for the seed mon.

Back