• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

WANGS for SalsaLady

Nine (9) pounds of WANGS for SalsaLady.

Different method this time, used a batter instead of breading.

Heat oil to 375°

Cornstarch Crunch
2c cornstarch
1c flour
3T seasoned salt
2T baking powder
1.25T each black pepper, paprika, cayenne, granulated garlic and onion
2.75c water

Mix dry ingredients, whisk in water till smooth.
Makes enough to batter 8-10lbs of wings.

Dredge wings in cornstarch.

Batter wings in batches, allow excess to drip off.

Fry wings in batches 8-10 minutes, 185° IT on the bone.

Toss wings in your favorite sauces.

Zt5hGSOl.jpg

Pkh3H6tl.jpg

pyfUs7Dl.jpg

5vSlKCxl.jpg

htiJMw3l.jpg

prbwDvAl.jpg

EGBgEmOl.jpg

Honey BBQ and Teriyaki

wNa2V41l.jpg

Ghost Pepper

0FU7dh5l.jpg

Served with tater tots, salad, cucumber, celery and homemade super chunky Bleu Cheese dressing.

ChileRelleno have you ever tried rice four and frying? I posted this method a few years back and people went nuts over it. They get super crunchy and there is not a heavy trace of breading on them in like with other starches.

Walchit said:
I've seen people adding cornstarch to their rub and they claim to get crispy skin. On a Weber with a vortex in the middle, wings around the outside, extra hot fire
Grilling/smoking with a Vortex is whole nother ballgame.
It , the Vortex, is the best of both direct and indirect.

But that aside, the real substance is the actual chemistry taking place with baking powder vs. cornstarch.
Baking powder provides an actual chemical reaction that puts tiny air bubbles into the skin which allows the oils in the skin to crisp the skin easier, cornstarch does not provide this chemical reaction.

Some folks that use cornstarch on wings being cooked with a Vortex are using a breaded version of wings.
And in that breading mixture will usually be baking powder or soda which provides the actual chemical reaction to raise/crisp the breading with the higher than normal indirect temps provided by the Vortex.

salsalady said:
I never heard of a 'wang'....
And I won't admit to when I figured out what 'netflix and chill' was code for...

Lemme guess salaskid told u when u were gonna netflix n chill with salsadude?

"Ewwww mommmmm TMI"

"What, watching movies??" :lol:

The ben & jerry's is really good!

And yes there are 3 cows on the sofa lol!

netflix and chilld.jpg

bob65 said:
People would know what you mean if you say wang here

SL has been saying wang for years I always thought should was making Ashen-type-euphemisms lol... she might take the award from him, unwittingly! :rofl:

Walchit said:
I've seen people adding cornstarch to their rub and they claim to get crispy skin. On a Weber with a vortex in the middle, wings around the outside, extra hot fire
I'll go so far as to say, that those who are using cornstarch and rub seasoning together only in a single dredge method are getting crispier wings solely on the merits of the Vortex and not the cornstarch.

They'd get a much better result result using baking powder in their rub.

Try rice flour it's a gamechanger. 

I mean as opposed to corn starch I am not familiar with your baking soda idea that sounds really cool and makes sense too.

No I gotcha man. I understood it all I'm just convoluting.

The Hot Pepper said:
Lemme guess salaskid told u when u were gonna netflix n chill with salsadude?

"Ewwww mommmmm TMI"

"What, watching movies??" :lol:

The ben & jerry's is really good!

And yes there are 3 cows on the sofa lol!

attachicon.gif
netflix and chilld.jpg

Pretty sure it was something like the original description....kids gonna NFnC.. "OK Have fun, be home by midnight".....hmmmmmm, hit up,the urban dictionary.....o-Kay!

Well, despite all this derailing, the thread is still rolling forward with some really good suggestions for cooking techniques.

All the girls wanna netflix and chill with the waffle TD winner... :lol:

He had the same girlfriend until the first day of senior year. Dumped her. I had no problem with her and she helped with making salsa for another year or so.

Kid's been out on his own for 3 years, recent girlfriend moved in sometime before the shut down. Its getting serious, they are getting a puppy....

At least he made it through HS without any "surprises"....that we know of. Considering the graduating class had ~48 kids, pretty sure something like that would of shown up.

Well now, this has been a very educational thread!

:lol:

SalsaKid is SalsaMan... it's been that long. Good for him! Glad he is doing his thing.

Yep, he's all that. I signed up on Thp in 2009, 11 years, and enough time for a Kid to grow up and move out...and here we are!
:sniff: dadgummit...Pookie's getting me all sentimental...

Hey, arent you guys supposed to be posting your WINGS?!?!???

ChileRelleno said:
Crunchy wings in the oven isn't hard.
Step1.
4-6lbs of wings.
Dry skin, dry those wings off and then air dry them in the fridge for at least 24hrs.
Single layer on wire rack.
Step2.
Aluminum Free Baking Powder.
NOT Baking Soda.
Mix together
1.5T baking powder
1/4c flour
Your favorite seasonings
Now thouroghly dredge the wings in this mix.
Step 3.
Preheat oven to 450°
Step 4.
Keep wings on wire rack and spray lightly with oil
Step 5.
Cook wings on wire rack for 30 minutes, 185° IT on the bone.
Step 6.
Toss in favorite sauce.
Thanks for your time and help , GG

salsalady said:
Hey, arent you guys supposed to be posting your WINGS?!?!???

OH THOSE things, now I get it! :lol:

ChileRelleno said:
Crunchy wings in the oven isn't hard.
Step1.
4-6lbs of wings.
Dry skin, dry those wings off and then air dry them in the fridge for at least 24hrs.
Single layer on wire rack.
Step2.
Aluminum Free Baking Powder.
NOT Baking Soda.
Mix together
1.5T baking powder
1/4c flour
Your favorite seasonings
Now thouroghly dredge the wings in this mix.
Step 3.
Preheat oven to 450°
Step 4.
Keep wings on wire rack and spray lightly with oil
Step 5.
Cook wings on wire rack for 30 minutes, 185° IT on the bone.
Step 6.
Toss in favorite sauce.
Sodium aluminum sulfate you mean I just checked the baking powder I have and that's the only aluminum on a see I'm pretty sure just looking for a confirmation thanks for your time and all the help now I'm hooked on wings and I want them better and better

I never knew that it meant anything other than watching Netflix and chilling. I guess I'm getting old ;-)

Quoted from Salsalady, but the board didn't like my editing: "And I won't admit to when I figured out what 'netflix and chill' was code for..."

Back