• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Wanting to try a southern style superhot vinegar

Phil said:
Yep. That's what I keep mine in. Shaker top regulates the flow pretty well. Yeah, you do have to cut them into slivers, but in my opinion, that only helps flavor the vinegar faster. If you want to leave the peppers whole or halved, you'll need something like an empty wine bottle, which I've also used, and had success with. I filled the bottle to the top with yellow and red bhuts, red habs, devil's tongues, and filled it with vinegar. Went GREAT with olive oil on a salad, but man, it was HOT!!!  And you should top the bottle with one of those plastic booze regulator thingies that they use to pour shots in the bar.

Here's what I have here in my office

16264443920_ff893c977d_b.jpg
Perfect! Thanks for the tips!

Hot Vinegar is one of my very favorite things in the whole wide world!!!
I read a thread on it a while back on THP.  I saw lots of it during my days in Cackalack, of course. 

I currently have eight bottles percolating, with a liter or so decanted. 
Using all supers makes it rediculously hot, so there is a 1/4 strength bottle for sharing with mere mortals. 

I have a few bottles of Hot Maple Syrup percolating in the same manner. 

Yo Kev, I love the ideas about the thyme and jerk vinegars!!!  Any other blends you especially like? Is there a Wayright Recipe for the jerk vinegar you want to drop on us fools?

That idea of drying out the spent peppers has me salivating for the next bottle to kick! 

Behind only the miracle of peppers powders, hot vinegars are my favorite method to save and store the pepper harvest bounty. 

For a little different method I dice my super hots and add ketchup,a little brown sugar and a dash of mustard powder,vinegar of choice shake allow a couple days to help flavors meld great on pork!!!!
Very popular here in the south :) all I use on smoked pork butt!! Giver a whirl!!

For fresh peppers, don't forget to salt the vinegar. Osmosis will occur and the salinity will want to equalize, so the vinegar will be forced into the pepper as the "pepper liquid" is forced out. Also helps with overall flavor.

If I don't want to use salt I use dried peppers. This makes an awesome hot vinegar, probably even better. You are limited to thick-walled peppers though as brittle ones don't work as well. Cayennes and tabascos work great. 

It's fun to watch them plump as they take on vinegar, lol.

I used Aji Limons and Pineapples last year with mixed success. I added some garlic powder which ruined it and the rice vinegar. Flavor wasn't on point but i'm going to try again this year with ajis as they fit into the bottle nicely and have great flavor. 

We use that pepper vinegar mainly on Salmon patties.  Also good to add some to give a kick to some traditional southern cucumber and onions (tomatoes optional) in vinegar.

Back