• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking WATCH YOUR WEBER

Last night I was home alone (yes!) all set to watch the Ranger game...
I just recently got my hands on my first gas BBQ - a Weber Genesis Silver. I rented apartments all my life and was never allowed to have a gas grill. Mind you, I LOVE charcoal but in the cold I prefer speed!!
So, I had these Fred Flintstone beef ribs in the marinade, and I put together an incendiary batch of smoked habanero BBQ sauce, a jug of red wine, you see where I'm going...

I fired up the grill, only two burners was all I figured I'd need. I noticed it preheated to 400 deg. before I could finish taking a piss.
So I turned the burners to about medium - high, and the temp seemed to hover at about 375... perfect.
Layed the brontosaurus torso on the grates, closed the lid, went in and set the timer.

Drooling, I poured myself some Barbarone, sat down and watched the game until the timer went.
Went outside to take a look, noticed right away the temperature gauge was pinned... Alot of smoke, too.

When I opened the lid, I almost got blown across the deck from the heat. When the smoke cleared, I saw a few charred bones and some annihilated flesh laying on the grates.

My dinner consisted of dipping multi grain bread into the BBQ sauce. The sauce is quite tasty!
MOTTO--- Never underestimate the power of a good grill. Stay with it.
I swear, I can't imagine using this thing with all three burners on full blast... you could easily cremate an enemy or relative on this thing!!!

Well, here's one way to lose weight....
:D

I have a cheaper gas grill with 4 burners. After preheating, it will hold the temperature on 375 with one burner on medium...unless there are flareups from the grease dripping on the burner covers that catches fire...

sorry about the loss of those ribs....

Flare ups in the drip pan will do it !! make the small pan on the bottom doesnt fill up to far I've had that and there isnt much you can do to save the food except shut'er down and hope the flame eventually dies

Bingo IGGY -- thats me even in the winter -- in the long run its cheaper especially with preheating and smoking for hours and the everp present forgetting to shut the grill off

The webers make a top BBQ. My parents have one and cook with it all the time.....

I have a slightly cheaper BBQ but I can cook a hugh roast dinner in the thing no worries at all, and i love cooking a big side of pork in the rotisserie attachment i have for it....

Sorry to hear that you went without mate but you live and learn....

I hate those gas grills. They dont last for what you pay for them. I use a real cheap charcoal grill (I think it cost me $20) and I can cook just as good with it as I can the most expensive gas or even most expensive charcoal grill for that matter.

Yes gotta keep an eye on those babies,I switched tanks last weekend,the xtra pressure from the new tank blackened a batch of thighes with my new chocolate habanero jerk sauce,kinda piontless after marinating for 2 days and then end up having to remove the best part,the FAT!
About those beef ribs I grill low and slow for 2 hrs.(smoker better or offset from heat)Wrap in foil for 2 hrs. with some beef broth (couple tablespoons again on smoker or offset)Then crisp em'up out of foil with a glaze for another hour.Gotta cook ém slow or they'll be in your teeth for a month!

I have a friend who almost burned down his garage because the grease pan underneath caught on fire. I saw it, and it was a huge fire. He was real lucky with that one, but ruined the grill though.

I try to always stay outside with my grill when I'm cooking on it. I prefer charcoal, but sometimes you want to make something quickly and gas grill it is. Chicken is notorious for flareups, as is anything marinated as it usually contains vinegar. I usually preheat mine on med/high and then turn two of the three burners off. I cook the food away from the "on" burner and as it nears doneness add whatever sauce I use and move it closer to the direct heat or right over it. I have learned however, to never leave it unattended. I have been the victim of the flare up-fire-turns everything into charcoal- myself.

I Have 4 charcoal/wood pits & 2 gas grills, the gas one I use most is a
mid level older Weber that I warm up on high then turn down to its
lowest setting to cook. I find that there are area's you have to avoid
on the grill and for really oily stuff like hamburgers, I lay a sheet
of aluminum foil down to keep the oil away from the burners, other things
I place on the top rack. there has been no big time flair ups in over 6
years!

ButchT

late to this thread but CC I feel your pain about burnt grilled meat.
I had this happen once really bad! but I was HUNGRY!! I ate the black charded steak with alot of sauce. it crunched while eating it :lol:

imaguitargod said:
Hence why I cook with charcoals ;)

story was with charcoals ;) you must stress "pay attention to your grilling!!!! & don't get side tracked!!!!" cuz it doesn't matter what fuel you use.

imaguitargod said:
Hence why I cook with charcoals ;)

LUCKYDOG said:
Bingo IGGY -- thats me even in the winter -- in the long run its cheaper especially with preheating and smoking for hours and the everp present forgetting to shut the grill off

BrianS said:
I hate those gas grills. They dont last for what you pay for them. I use a real cheap charcoal grill (I think it cost me $20) and I can cook just as good with it as I can the most expensive gas or even most expensive charcoal grill for that matter.
I love you guys.

I refuse to buy a gas grill. Once my girl and I buy a house, first thing going in is a brick firepit. Gas is expensive, wasteful, and not worth the time. Gimme some hardwood, a coffee can, an old newspaper and a match or two. All you need.

Back