• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds watering seedlings

So I've been watering my little sprouts everyday with a couple squirts from an eye dropper, all around the bottom of the stem. I haven't noticed anything bad, but should I be watering more, or less? I feel like I should also keep the rest of the soil in the cup moist, but how can I do this without overwatering?

Watering from the bottom is best. This makes the roots grow down searching for moisture. This also keeps the surface of the soil dry which can help to prevent diseases and some pests.
Watering less frequently but more thoroughly  is also recommended. If you water a little bit everyday then the roots don't grow as well. If you water less frequently the roots have to grow in search for water as the soil dries. 

Ocho Cinco said:
Watering from the bottom is best. This makes the roots grow down searching for moisture. This also keeps the surface of the soil dry which can help to prevent diseases and some pests.
Watering less frequently but more thoroughly  is also recommended. If you water a little bit everyday then the roots don't grow as well. If you water less frequently the roots have to grow in search for water as the soil dries.
That makes sense, thanks. Now something I've been searching for, how exactly does one bottom water? I have that little 7 cup tray from the peat cups, could I put water in there, and put the cups back in it?

I use 3.5 inch plastic pots. If I am watering just a few plants I usually put them in a small bowl with the water in it. It I am watering quite a few plants I use a baking tray or cookie sheet with water in it.

The proper way to water is to saturate the entire medium from the top. And then to not water again until it has sufficiently dried.

Bottom watering encourages all kinds of nasties to grow.

mine absorb 95% of the water in 12 hours, the tray is dry by 24hrs.
no algae or anything like that from what i've seen.

I've never tried bottom watering. I've always watered from the top. I do as stated, just from the top. Allow the medium to dry fairly well, then do a thorough top watering. I've posted several videos of my plants over the past 2 years. Take a look. They seem to do pretty well.

Tim

able eye said:
Stagnant water needs an explanation?

Top watering pulls oxygen down through the medium.

I am just trying to learn.
I have no formal, higher education regarding botany.
I believe this thread is referencing seedlings.
Placing water in a tray and letting it absorb into the seed flats or solo cups probably would not get stagnant if it is gone in 24 hours.
Your second statement about pulling oxygen down through the medium sounds very interesting and scientific, but needs verification of principle.

Again we are discussing small seedlings.

twilliams386 said:
You never said stagnant water, you said bottom watering. If done properly, shouldn't turn stagnant. No need to troll.

There is no properly for bottom watering. Learn to water correctly now or you wont know how when they're not seedlings.

twilliams386 said:
Well by all means, oh mighty botany king, explain to us lowly hobbyists how to water correctly.

I already did.

able eye said:
The proper way to water is to saturate the entire medium from the top. And then to not water again until it has sufficiently dried.

Bottom watering encourages all kinds of nasties to grow.

Ocho Cinco said:
You should just learn to ignore able eye or better yet just do what I did and use the "ignore" feature.. Almost every post she makes becomes an argument or is condescending.

I'mma lookin but can't find this ignore feature but if anyone i've encountered so far needs to be ignored it's this person. Edit: NVM I figured it out. 

Back