• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weed that I was about to uproot.

I am surprized you guys never said Bull Nettle or Stinging Nettle...it is one of those variations of that variety...

and yes, it is a weed and will reproduce like mad..

Hmmm you should pull the plant and bugs at one time move it away from your garden then burn it in a steel drum/fire pit, the surviving aphids can and will look for a new food source. It looks like a Milk Thistle, lol that lighter looks a little mickey mouse try a can of Lysol or equivalent and make a blow torch, that is if you don't have one already.

I used my heat gun on some aphids that killed an artichoke while I wasnt paying attention. Blew 1200 degree air on about 10,000 aphids...that was fun.

Not sure that I would have killed it. If it's trapping/killing the aphids I would have set it on the edge of the area my plants are in and let it go to work! I've never seen a pepper plant with that many aphids on it. If they're busy eating that then they don't have time to eat the peppers.

One thing I do know for sure, no way in heck would I have grabbed that evil mother without some type of leather gloves.

Personally I would have left it alone. If it was covered in Aphids but your other good plants weren't, then it was doing work for you by attracting them away from your crops. I grow several plants as bug traps even though they provide no other real use for me.
I also Grow Borage for that as well as medicinal reasons. It attracts the crap out of the aphids so they stay off my maters and chili's, then the lady bugs infest them and have a smorgasbord. It acts as a huge lady bug breeding ground and from those plants they spread out and take care of watching my others. Since I've started doing that I haven't had aphid problems on anything.

Hmmm you should pull the plant and bugs at one time move it away from your garden then burn it in a steel drum/fire pit, the surviving aphids can and will look for a new food source. It looks like a Milk Thistle, lol that lighter looks a little mickey mouse try a can of Lysol or equivalent and make a blow torch, that is if you don't have one already.

One of my friends is the reason Raid now has the Flammable warning stickers all over it, and why all flammable aerosols have that warning. You are advocating dangerous stupidity with using aerosols as a blow torch. They can and will explode while doing that. My friend was burned over 85% of his Body by doing exactly what you just told people to do. He was torching things in the garden with it when he was a kid. Boom. Pain. More pain for years from the surgeries and nerve damage. Not worth the risk.

I use a soldering torch to fry my garden problems. Safer, hotter, more controllable. Works great on fire ants too. Put a stick standing straight up out of their hole, smack it with another stick a few times and then torch the ant covered stick. Fun and satisfying.

Good,ya never know.But in my opinion that plants spines could have been some kind of defense.when I look closely,the aphids seem to be speared.it dosent matter anyway,weather they speared or it's a nest.the plant it self could be a threat.

Not sure that I would have killed it. If it's trapping/killing the aphids I would have set it on the edge of the area my plants are in and let it go to work! I've never seen a pepper plant with that many aphids on it. If they're busy eating that then they don't have time to eat the peppers.

One thing I do know for sure, no way in heck would I have grabbed that evil mother without some type of leather gloves.

haha i wasnt soo sure ethierr, but idk after i looked at it closely, i saw that they were moving aroundd and stuff
& haha i used like work gloves.

Personally I would have left it alone. If it was covered in Aphids but your other good plants weren't, then it was doing work for you by attracting them away from your crops. I grow several plants as bug traps even though they provide no other real use for me.
I also Grow Borage for that as well as medicinal reasons. It attracts the crap out of the aphids so they stay off my maters and chili's, then the lady bugs infest them and have a smorgasbord. It acts as a huge lady bug breeding ground and from those plants they spread out and take care of watching my others. Since I've started doing that I haven't had aphid problems on anything.

haha ohh thats a good idea ! if i get another onee growing, ill go buy me some lady bugs !

Back