• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking What are your favourite bacon cures?

SmokenFire said:
I have this book and have followed their methods for some time, adding here and there depending on what's on hand.  His basic bacon recipe can be found here.  I always use the optional ingredients, plus I sub turbinado sugar in place of the brown sugar that's called for.  I've experimented with smoking and hang drying this same recipe with great results.  It's the only bacon I make, though I'll freely admit to being a bacon whore that consumes it where ever it may present itself in my travels...   :)
Got another batch on today.  After testing smoke only flavours, I have settled on a 2/3 apple 1/3 cherry wood smoke.  Now to test out flavours. Thanks again for the recipe SF, the aroma of this mix with all the optionals is simply mouthwatering.  Found some really nicely fresh dried juniper berries, I know it is going to be delicious.

IMG_0880.JPG

grantmichaels said:
Oh, cool!
Freezer already has about 6 pounds of bacon in there, but in my commitment to eat out the freezer including bacon, I now have space for more…… Going to have to get a big chest freezer like yours GM

Back