• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What came first?

People growing weed and driving the hydroponic/bill nye the science guy-type super grow stuff, or did the hydroponics stuff drive more people to grow some stinky buds?

I'm browsing this website for high tech garden supply, and I'm thinking, what would I possibly need carbon filtration on fans, or 200 dollar ozone generators or gallon jugs of odor control gels for?
Do normal plants stink like bud does?
Not that I would know what a room full of dank smells like, of course.

Just curious. Chicken or egg, rhododendrons or bud, wonder which came first.

Most of the high tech growing gear you see is designed for" herb" growers, its probably not cost efficient or even neccessary for veggies

POTAWIE said:
Most of the high tech growing gear you see is designed for" herb" growers, its probably not cost efficient or even neccessary for veggies

I bet you could grow some sick peppers with it though :rofl:

I have some cop friends, I think I'll ask them if they ever auction off that stuff after a bust.

Skydiver,

I figure a lot of it originated with commercial green house growers or even universities who studied ways to improve production. Herb growers just took it to a different level.

Mike

In this country its legal to own cannabis seeds but as soon as you plant them your breaking the law. Likewise you can sell the stuff to grow canna but your not allowed to condone using it for that purpose. Your right about the carbon filters although tomatoes do smell a bit.

What gets me is the inflated prices on hydro products. I think the mark up is due to the shops knowing how much canna growers can earn selling their bud. It kills it for the rest of us though.

Chris

Toleman said:
In this country its legal to own cannabis seeds but as soon as you plant them your breaking the law. Likewise you can sell the stuff to grow canna but your not allowed to condone using it for that purpose.

Same here in Sweden. The seeds are sold as "Luxury bird seeds". Webshops do describe how they grow, if they a feminine, the high you are supposed to get etc but they are sold as bird feed. Same with Peyote, the only difference is that not even the sellers or the police seem to know that the plants are illegal - they are about $3 for 10 seeds if you are curious.

I don't understand how this can be, but that's not my problem.

Toleman said:
What gets me is the inflated prices on hydro products. I think the mark up is due to the shops knowing how much canna growers can earn selling their bud. It kills it for the rest of us though.

Chris

Chris,

You got that right. The local store sell 7-gallon pots for $5 and change - I can buy them on-line for about $3. That's just one example. Now I'm a very firm believer in buying local as I publish a newspaper and rely on businesses for advertising. But I'm not about to support a rip-off artist.

Mike

I find it amusing that people growing 'herbs' think they can get away with it. they have a house with about 1000 sq feet and an electric bill for $1000. Hummm wonder what's going on.

peter pepper said:
I find it amusing that people growing 'herbs' think they can get away with it. they have a house with about 1000 sq feet and an electric bill for $1000. Hummm wonder what's going on.

Maybe they are afraid of the dark and have to keep the lights on 24/7? :rofl:

Novacastrian said:
Maybe they are afraid of the dark and have to keep the lights on 24/7? :rofl:

There is a moment each leap year, at exactly three minutes past three on the morning of February twenty-ninth. If you possess the courage, await that moment in darkened room, with no other present. At that moment, the darkness will deepen. If you were to hold your hand directly before your face, you would not see a thing. But you must not do so. No, for that would be to waste the moment. Instead you must reach out, into that impenetrable darkness.

And it will reach out to you.

An unseen hand will grasp yours. You must not flinch away, nor tighten your grasp. To do so will only slough away more of the decrepit flesh that covers it, and anger its unseen owner. Remain perfectly still, as the withered fingers move over your palm, tracing unknown patterns. Do not move an inch as it crawls slowly up your arm. And most of all do not even breathe as it caresses your face, touching what cannot be seen.

Should you remain still through this, the hand will be withdrawn and a voice will speak, so close you can feel its breath on your face, smell the scent of decay it carries. It will ask you for one simple piece of information: your name. Answer truthfully. Answer truthfully, and the presence will retreat, leaving only a whisper in the air as the darkness lifts. "It is done."

From that day on, untold good fortune will be yours, and mysterious power. You will lack nothing, and have everything. But in a year, perhaps two, your eyes will sting in bright light, you will feel your skin begin to decay, and the sweet smell of death will be upon your breath...

I saw on an episode of cops a weed grower was stealing electric dunno how it is done. They searched his house with a warrant but just before they went to make sure they flew over with a thermal camera and the house looked like the sun haha

If you grow da herb you should ALWAYS PAY FOR YOUR ELECTRICITY. Stealing electricity can get you more jail time than the actual plant you are growing!

Most people buying carbon filters are trying to keep the ganja smell from getting out. :P
If I'm not mistaken, NASA were the ones who really made Hydroponics what it is today. those are some f***ed up astronauts I tell ya... :lol:

Skydiver said:
There is a moment each leap year, at exactly three minutes past three on the morning of February twenty-ninth. If you possess the courage, await that moment in darkened room, with no other present. At that moment, the darkness will deepen. If you were to hold your hand directly before your face, you would not see a thing. But you must not do so. No, for that would be to waste the moment. Instead you must reach out, into that impenetrable darkness.

And it will reach out to you.

An unseen hand will grasp yours. You must not flinch away, nor tighten your grasp. To do so will only slough away more of the decrepit flesh that covers it, and anger its unseen owner. Remain perfectly still, as the withered fingers move over your palm, tracing unknown patterns. Do not move an inch as it crawls slowly up your arm. And most of all do not even breathe as it caresses your face, touching what cannot be seen.

Should you remain still through this, the hand will be withdrawn and a voice will speak, so close you can feel its breath on your face, smell the scent of decay it carries. It will ask you for one simple piece of information: your name. Answer truthfully. Answer truthfully, and the presence will retreat, leaving only a whisper in the air as the darkness lifts. "It is done."

From that day on, untold good fortune will be yours, and mysterious power. You will lack nothing, and have everything. But in a year, perhaps two, your eyes will sting in bright light, you will feel your skin begin to decay, and the sweet smell of death will be upon your breath...

um.............yeah!!:scared:

Stealing electricity is easy but dangerous. You basically unhook the incoming live and neutral before the meter but you have no way of isolating them so it needs to be done live. That may sound dangerous for 110v or 120v (us) but in Europe we use 230!

What they need to look out for is periodic meter readings and I have even heard of people covering their connections and the meter in concrete. Here in the UK you hear a lot of genuine looking people getting paid to meet up with a landlord and pay 6 months rent in one go. Then the human traffickers set these houses up to grow pot not giving a crap about bashing holes in walls, stealing electricity and filling rooms with soil. Then the people who have been trafficked in have to pay them back by looking after these houses, even living in them, caring for the plants.

There was a program on the other night where a landlord caught a person growing in his house and the bloke offered him £15,000 to keep quiet for 3 days while his smoke dried. He didn't take it mind.

I had a renter who was partially blind - so he didn't use much electricity. The meter reader must have made a mistake because the guy got an electric bill double or more the usual ones. So instead of calling Town Hall and protesting or asking for someone to check, he takes the meter off and places it on backwards, which causes the meter to run in reverse. He might have got away with it, but he forgot to return it to normal before the next reading. They socked it to him - $300 fine.

Mike

Back