• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying What do I need to know about purchasing a dehydrator?

I ordered a box of peppers from Ignite last week and plan on dehydrating about 3/4 of them. Having said that, what do I need to know about before I purchase a dehydrator? I'm looking to spend around $50CAD. It's all very foreign to me, so figure I'd ask people that have been dehydrating peppers for years.

Thank you.

eBay 201036035048 cheap but will work for 50. If you do a lot a stainless model should be purchased. Strat

I suggest looking through the Kitchenware section. There is some good info there. Wish I had better advise, but I slow dry on top of my fridge. Takes a week or two. Its hot and dry as heck here right now.

I'll recommend you send a PM to Burning Colon - he was looking for a dehydrator a while back and is in Canada. I recommended the Nesco FD-80 square one, but he was having a hard time finding a supplier. I don't remember what he ended up with. The Nesco is a bit over $50 - I paid $70 for mine. I like the square shape as it holds more than the round ones do. The drawback (if you consider this a drawback) is that it has no on/off switch - it turns on or off by plugging it in and unplugging it. I've used mine 3 seasons now and it's still going strong - it's been well worth the investment. Not only do I dehydrate chiles and herbs, but I also make jerky with it.

geeme said:
I'll recommend you send a PM to Burning Colon - he was looking for a dehydrator a while back and is in Canada. I recommended the Nesco FD-80 square one, but he was having a hard time finding a supplier. I don't remember what he ended up with. The Nesco is a bit over $50 - I paid $70 for mine. I like the square shape as it holds more than the round ones do. The drawback (if you consider this a drawback) is that it has no on/off switch - it turns on or off by plugging it in and unplugging it. I've used mine 3 seasons now and it's still going strong - it's been well worth the investment. Not only do I dehydrate chiles and herbs, but I also make jerky with it.
I found the FD-80 online at Costco for $85CAD, which seems to be the cheapest I can do in Canada.

Back