• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you do apart from chilli?

Just thought it would be cool to learn a little about each other away from chilli!

What do you do for your main income:

I work as a counselor and also a principal of a school catered for youth at risk. Kids that dont fit into mainstream school for what ever reason, domestic violence, child abuse, learning disability etc.... hard work but rewrding at the same time. I love my work but dont have much hair left.

Why chilli?

Chilli for me was grown to help me relax, it actually acidently turned into as buisiness! Too funny! now I have chilli every where! Over 600 plants now!

Any Pets?

2 American Staffies (Deckie and Beach), 7 fish tanks full of different cichlids and other random fish!

Fave hobbie:

Im one of those mad bastards that take my boat 15k's out to sea, jump in the water in my wetsuit with my speargun, hold my breath and shoot massive fish 5-50kg fish! Good fun! I also love my extreme hunting adventures, heading to the desert and chasing camels! nabbed 2 this year! 600kg and 150kg!

Currently I am a hot sauce/spice saleperson. I proudly work for Heather's Heat and Flavor currently to pay the beer....errrr...pay the bills.

Why chilli?

Ever since I co-gardened with Dave Reed out in LA and had my first endorphin rush I was hooked. It's a way of life for me now. I've been working for Joe and Linda Levinson at The hot Zone Online as a profesional hot sauce journalist and reviewer for the past 4 years now. I'm a vertien of 2,000+ sauces sampled and get sauces sent to me for review/advice from around the world many times a month.

Any Pets?

Currently none that I own. But I do take care of my mom's two Shi Tzu's (Taylor and Tanner). In the past I've raised many a creatures from snails, fish (fresh and salt water), dogs, hampster, rats, catipillers, toads, frogs, salamandors, injured birds, squirrels, and bacteria/fungi/and yeast of many kinds.

Fave hobbies:
Ugh...hobbies....too many to list....let's seee....Impressionist (voice over), radio personality, stunts, fencing, sword fighting, black belt karate, nun-chuks, gun handling/ marksmanship, western style gun spinning, swing dancing, magic/slight of hand, golf, hacky sack, pinball, airhockey, fooseball, street hockey, rollerblading, horseback riding, lock smithing, photo manipulation, comic book collector, model builder, prop replica builder, ambidextrous, guitar, bass guitar, druns, spoons, home brewing, distilling, wine making, journalisn, meditation, OBE, exercising, circuit bending, noise music maker, gardener, heavy drinker (hey, that takes practice!), HTML coder, prop collector, published photographer, published poet, published writer, published cook, autograph collector, graphic design, free hand drawing, art (painting and also I'm one of the only two large formate fractal artists in all of the world), cartoonist, actor, ummm...that's all I can think of right now, I know there's more....but I've been drinking.

mrs. blues is lurking about so I'm wondering how much lying I can get away with. I can't say that I'm in construction. She thinks I'm spinning records as a DJ down at Cheetah's strip joint. I will have to contemplate this conondrum and get back to you.

Cheers, TB.

imaguitargod said:
Any Pets?

Currently none that I own. But I do take care of my mom's two Shi Tzu's (Taylor and Tanner). In the past I've raised many a creatures from snails, fish (fresh and salt water), dogs, hampster, rats, catipillers, toads, frogs, salamandors, injured birds, squirrels, and bacteria/fungi/and yeast of many kinds.

Yeast as a pet? Any pics?

Good thread idea though Scorpion-

Main income- Carpenter
Why chilli- Was on a roadtrip like fifteen years ago. Kinda got stranded somewhere and ended up working in a greenhouse for a bit. Grew some peppers and got hooked.
Pets- Kids and a lizard.
Hobbies- Growing, fishing, and skateboarding, mostly longboarding cause I'm getting old!

Scorpion said:
Just thought it would be cool to learn a little about each other away from chilli!

I work for a government owned corporation as a Trackmaster, which is to say I audit the condition of the railway and how it is being maintained.

Why chilli?

Got given some birdseye plants around 10-11 years ago, we sat back and thought what are we going to do with them. So we started making a chilli, garlic and onion paste that we gave away. This slowly evolved into a hobby/business where we are now selling our wares.

Any Pets?

1 dog a mini foxi called Phydeaux (Fido) I stole the name from Larry Norman :)

Fave hobbie:

Mostly scale modelling, but getting back into archery and bow hunting with my boys.

Other stuff
Fairly involved with the local church, the better half and I ran all the children's programs for the last 5 1/2 years. We are having a break for a few months now, feeling very tired from it all at the moment.

I am a broke college student. Premed is alot of work!

Why chilli?
I got into eating spicy food, and after cayanne didn't do it for me anymore I went searching for some habanero plants. Little did I know, it was one of those hobbies where there were alot of variables to tweek...and that is right up my alley!!

It's really relaxing, and it cleans the air; feels so much better with plants in the room!

Any Pets?

We have a family german shepard that is 3 years old that stays with my parents. I also have 4 ball pythons that I keep in my apartment with me. I absolutely love them, and will be breeding next season. Wish me luck!

Fave hobbie:

researching for plant care and ball python care takes up a lot of my time. I am into genetics and genetic morphs of snakes and other reptiles. I would say my biggest hobby is researching things, how they are made, and if I cant afford to make it myself, pricing it out and everything instead. That happens a lot since I am a broke college student. Carrrs, I am very into cars. Karate and biking are both really big ones. For biking, I'm into mountain biking, road biking, fixed gear, and trail riding. Speaking of, I am cursing up a storm about my stupid 70's french road bike because they use their silly french measurements that have since stopped being used..so the easiest things to be fixed..really can't because NOTHING FITS!! I'm going to build up a bike or buy one very soon (track-bike).

My all time favorite hobby though, is walking a half a block to the beach, relaxing and going for a swim :D

I forgot to mention spirit fermentation and distillation. not that I...do that sort of thing..because that wouldn't be legal.. why would we break the law..I wouldn't. :beer: :drunk: :shame:

Sell chilli stuff, grow lots of chilli.

Why chilli?

Growing my own veggy etc for years, my chillis always the pride and joy. It just happened.

Any Pets?

2 x Rhodesian Ridge back X mastiff

Fave hobbie:

Gardening eatable and usable plants, bush crafts/ foods, cooking, bush walking, Hunting, chicken husbandry both meat and egg birds (still research), 4WDing, fishing, making sauce/ spice/ tea. Road bikes, drift, trail/MX bikes, Collect dvds & chilli plants, & BBQing and spit roaster is a great passion.
& of course Getting on it with the lads in the bush around a bomb fire.... has to be a fav... if you call it a hobbie!? :lol:

Nice idea, Aussie!

Scorpion said:

I have a giftware company, and raise roaches for the local pet trade... (no, really!)

Why chilli?

Got a 'Chilli Farm' as a gift (ten assorted seed varieties and some dirt in an ice cream tub!) ten years ago. Found it a day before a good mate, Patrick, told me about this bulletin board. Serendipitous...;)

Any Pets?

One or two tarantulas, a Border Collie, a Jack Russel, a Maine Coon, two Norwegian Forest cats, and a pavement special moggie, and some Extatosoma tiaratum from down the block from where you live, Scorpion...:onfire:

Fave hobbie:

Tending my chilli plants, (or will be when I plant 'em!), tending the tarantulas, playing Texas Hold 'em, reading copiously and watching The All Blacks thrash all comers! (incl South Africa!)

Thanks for the interest! ;)

I've been thinking about starting a thread just like this one Scorpion! Good on ya Mate!

I work as a lab technician in a Plant Pathology lab at a local research and extension center.

Why chilli?

I've always been a gardner at heart, and a few years back I was looking for a pepper from my past. A friend of mine once grew the rat-turd thai pepper and got us all to eat one. I thought its size would equal its heat, but while chewing on that thing I felt my gums were melting! So I noticed the endorphin rush, grabbed a handfull and popped them throughout the night. So I started trying to find that pepper and came across the myriad of different peppers that were available. From then on, it's become an obsession and an Acquisition Disorder that I'm sure we all know too well.

Any Pets?

Nope, but only because I rent and we don't really have the yard for a dog. Cats don't do much for me, so it's the old rock and a hard place.

Fave hobbie:

Oh God, my favorite one? Hmmm dunno.... My girlfriend and I like live music, perusing flea markets and junk shops looking for cool antiques, and she REALLY enjoys my passion for classic cocktails. In my previous life, or maybe a future one, I'm a bartender.

Aerospace Engineer that has been working on the F-35 program for the past 14 years. Will retire in 34 working days and then I won't have a main income other than retirement

Why chilli?

Because I love the heat and introducing others to the pleasures of the different taste of each chili

Any Pets?

One 10 year old Weimaraner named Roscoe...best friend I have ever had...

Fave hobbie:

I play music with Bodie Powell and Borderline...our genre is honky tonk and texas music...lots of originals and most of the covers we do are at least 20 years old...we do NOT play any new nashville...period...I play the mandolin thru a fender twin reverb that is miked to the sound system...currently playing about 60 gigs a year but that will go up when I retire...should be getting my custom made mandolin later this year...I ordered it 6 years ago...and as you can tell, I am a patient person..

I work as a parts counterperson at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership selling Ford parts. I also am a full service custom bike/car builder.

Why chilli?
Hell why not? But seriously i got hooked on heat about 14 years ago after i tried a mouthful of Pain is Good batch #37 garlic hot sauce and had an endorphin rush that nearly put me on the floor.

Any Pets?
Nope. I work way too much. I'm usually gone for like 14 plus hours or more a day. It'd be cruel to keep an animal stuck at home for hours and hours on end with no interaction from me.

Fave hobbie:
Hmmmm.....where to start....I like customizing cars and motorcycles, mountain biking, playing guitar, reading, i have a thing for googie, anything mid-century modern, industrial design, interior design, graphic design, most styles of art, metalworking, music, etc. I hope this is a good enough start for ya.

I do the books for my husbands company and look after the books for a friends as well :)

Why chilli?
I HATE the waxy flavor of store bought ones.

Any Pets?
2 cats adopted from a shelter and a 180lb Saint Bernard :)

Fave hobbie:
I love to read, paint and of course play in the garden, and be outdoors, even in our cold Canadian winters.;)

I am a General Practitioner on the country side. My patients are in the range from new born babies to doters and gomers.

Why chilli?
It started with some really tasty homegrown and homepickled Jalapenos a good friend in Illinois (now Wisconsin) served when we visited him. The rest is history.

Any Pets?
A female Rhodesian Ridgeback, 6 years old, a male Lab/Swiss Sleuthhound/Shar Pei mix, 12 weeks old. Three turtles rented along with the house.

Fave hobbie:Photography. Leatherwork. Motorbikes (inactive ATM cos my Yamaha XS 650 SE "needs some work"). Music (passiv! Blues, Rock, Blues Rock, Jazz, Classical music, etc.). Books. Gardening.

What do you do for your main income: I am a block/stone mason

Why chilli? Can't pinpoint the actual beginning of my obsession, but it has grown and grown over the last 20 years. Never pictured myself as a gardener, but I am getting there.

Any Pets? One cat. I don't like cats, but this one's not too bad I guess.

Fave hobbie: I can't narrow it down to one, but besides hot stuff I like good beer, shooting pool, watching sports, and cooking.

What do you do for your main income: Veterans Administration and SS disability payments. Medically retired from USAF after 18 years.

Why chilli? Started a few years ago as a way to beautify the landscaping around my home. Finally broke down and tasted one and haven't looked back.

Any Pets? Several hundred tarantulas, Hedge Hog, Red-Tailed Boa, Dumerils Boa, three Crested Geckos, Blaptica Dubia roaches, two cats.

Fave hobbie: Breeding tarantulas.

Income: Mechanical Engineer (I make stuff)

Why Chilli? I have always been interested in "unusual" things, like things that other people thinks are "not cool".
My first real hot stuff was TurboSupercharge from the Chilliman and from then on it was my mission to find all things hot. It took me a good few years to find this site care of Neil from The Hippy Seed Company.

Any pets? I have an eight week old pup named JayT, he is a Husky cross Malamute and is turning into a real good pooch. Before him i had Jack (see avator).

Hobbies I like drinking! Apart from that if it were legal i would be distilling my own liquor. I love riding mountain bikes, shooting my compound bow, making "gas guns" (if it were legal), in fact i like anything to do with guns and or hunting, logging onto THP has to be a big hobbie for me too.
I also like the occasional (read regular) ingestion of T.H.C. :P

Income- I'm active duty Coast Guard.

Why Chili?- I like spicy foods and found some in pots at the grocery store. No more buying flowers for planting!

Any Pets?-I have an 8 year old Dobermann and my wife has a 7 year old worthless(won't hunt) labrador. Worst damn Lab in the world. No retrieve instinct whatsoever.

Hobbies- Other than growing peppers, hunting, fishing, Scotch, reading, guns, hiking. Lots more, just can't think of any right now.

Back