• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help What do you do with your turkey leftovers?(post your recipes/ideas)

I make turkey stock from the carcass, then i make that into turkey and dumpling soup. Really really easy, just a bit time consuming.

Turkey stock:
1 carcass (back, neck etc.)
2 carrots
2 parsnips
1 large onion
4 celery stalks
(basically a classic mirepoix, 2:1:1 ratio onion:carrot:celery except I replace half carrots with parsnips)
10 sprigs thyme
10 sprigs parsley
2 bay leaves
a few pepper corns
a couple cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
enough cold water to cover everything 1-2 gallons depending on your bird & pot

Break all the vegetables into medium pieces, chop onion in 4ths. Toss everything in the pot, and bring to a very slow simmer, just barely bubbling. Let simmer 6-8 hours. Skim the scum off the top a couple times per hour and don't let the water drop below the top of the carcass. Strain and dump solids on to sheet pan. Pick through for all the meat, you'll be surprised how much meat is left on a carcass. Cool stock in ice bath.

Turkey Dumpling Soup
2-3 Parsnips
2-3 celery stalks
1/2 onion
2-3 cloves garlic
olive oil
turkey stock
leftover turkey meat
salt & pepper

for dumplings:
2 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup cold butter

Make dumplings first, combine all ingredients except water in a food processor and pulse until looks like pebbles. Dump into bowl & add water, combine and knead to form dough. Turn out on floured surface, knead a few times, roll to 1/8" thickness and slice into dumplings w/ a pizza cutter

Chop all vegetables to whatever size you fancy, sautee over medium heat until they begin to soften. Add stock & meat & bring to a boil. Add all the dumplings. Cover & reduce to simmer for 30-40 min.

I swear it's better than the turkey was on Thanksgiving and it beats cold turkey sandwiches.

I know this is a little late for thanksgiving, but I'm just making my soup tonight. You can freeze the carcass and make the soup several months later. Just wrap the carcass tightly in foil.

A signature family recipe for Turkey soup (AKA Turkey Slop) used about a half dozen-dozen times a year since when I can remember...

sorry for lack of measurements....its trial and error always...my dad never measures anything except for baking due to lack of "soup variables"...

Ok...here goes...
get a stock pot and boil the carcass and any bones left....about 1/2-2/3 full of water or chicken broth

boil all remaining turkey parts...if you cooked the giblets separately and didn't use them in a gravy, pick them clean and use them here (turkey neck is some of the most tender meat on the bird FYI)...if you have leftover gravy with turkey pieces in it use it as well (yeah dump the remaining gravy leftovers in)...
take any turkey you have leftover and add that toward the end (my dad said there were a few times when money was so tight and the only meat he had to make the soup was by way of the skin only with very little meat to add) boil and let cool...

when cool, remove bones from the broth water (and save that broth) pick the carcass clean...break the carcass in several places to retrieve all possible meat (my dad will not let any meat go to waste from a bird when soup is involved and showed me a few places that you wouldn't imagine meat being on a turkey)

bring broth back to a boil....and add a few cans of chicken broth or if you are desperate, water to get a desired level..

it is a step by step process....but goes something like this....add rice, then barley....and let it boil for a while...

prep (chop) veggies, then add veggies...chopped carrots....then after a few minutes chopped celery and chopped onion....

then add any and all cooked meat again...begin to season (used McCormicks Italian seasoning last time because of the basil flakes?)...a bit of chile powder(or anything to add a slight kick-this time he used a few dashes of hab sauce, but has used Tapatio, 7-pot powder, crushed cayenne, etc in the past)..fresh ground black pepper and some salt...

let boil until it starts to cook down and begins to become thick...sometimes too much rice/barley and not enough broth makes it very thick (if this isn't what you want add water or broth)....sometimes he doesn't use barley at all (because of inventory or texture preference)

It isn't an exact science...if you do it enough you will figure it out...and realize that it is one of those dishes that will "adapt to current inventory"...every time it is different...

I have only made it with him from start to finish one time...but have helped in stages many times (more than I can remember) he makes it on is own in spare time quite a bit...

It goes so fast he sometimes does it twice (sometimes cooking another turkey just for added meat) because he commits soup to coworkers and sales customers....it always turns out fantastic!

One word that I will pass on to anyone....if you cook a turkey...and decide that you do not want soup....(freeze the carcass and bones for a later date)....so that the next time you make soup you will have bones and meat to aid your soup

The result is almost a 'base for taste'...my dad always adds more salt, pepper, and chile to his...my fiance adds some salt and lemon, etc...

It really does turn out differently every single time...so practice...but if you do it enough, you will find a recipe that you will enjoy as will everyone else...

Enjoy!

Sandwiches and wraps with all the trimmings inside for days. Except this year. Had to hit a restaurant.

I went to my sisters for Thanksgiving so what little was left over i just made a turkey salad with a couple of orange habs in it for wraps and sandwiches.

Right on JollyRancher, I never measure either except when baking or making any kind of dough. Gotta love turkey soup man, it's really hard to mess up, and soup is forgiving so you can keep adding stuff til it taste's right :) It's hard to believe more people don't make their own stock, I mean it takes almost 0 work, just a bit of time.

Txclosetgrower said:
Right on JollyRancher, I never measure either except when baking or making any kind of dough. Gotta love turkey soup man, it's really hard to mess up, and soup is forgiving so you can keep adding stuff til it taste's right :) It's hard to believe more people don't make their own stock, I mean it takes almost 0 work, just a bit of time.

I unfortunately, lack the storage space to do so. If i didn't, i'd do it constantly. I can usually bum some off my sister....she practically makes it by the short ton

Back