What should i grow?

I think every chilihead should grow Jalapeno and Tobasco in their garden. About 1/4 of my garden will be dedicated to just these two varieties. Poppers are my favorite food and tabasco powder is amazing on everything. Just had on some scrambled eggs.

pepperpunk said:
oh im sorry. what is heaven on seven? so the answer to your question is, no.

Jimmy Bannos' Restaurants in Chicago...

if you haven't been, you don't know what you are missing...their food is excellent New Orleans/Cajun Style and some of the dishes are quite spicy...link follows

http://www.heavenonseven.com/

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I think every chilihead should grow Jalapeno and Tobasco in their garden. About 1/4 of my garden will be dedicated to just these two varieties. Poppers are my favorite food and tabasco powder is amazing on everything. Just had on some scrambled eggs.

Yuck no.

Jalapenos and Tabasco peppers are boring. Now, Tabasco peppers make nice ornamentals, but for eating...ew.

Tabasco are the best Pam...I use the powder for a lot of things and they are all I use to make infused vinegar for my greens....

I do not, however, eat them fresh..

What about the chocolate hab? For me that was my best tasting powder, yummy on popcorn with kettle corn seasoning. Also if your looking for something sweet Jimmy Nardello. Not the best tasting sweet but a good one. Bishops Crown, Peter Pepper are two others if you are looking to grow something with a unique shape. And then there is the whole ornamental thing: Black Pearl, Masquerade ,Chinese 5 Color.
Have you checked out this site?

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Any&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

Dale

I forgot all about the ornamentals Dale...good advice...

I really liked my purple tigers last year...

This is the first year that I'm not planning on growing any ornamentals, that is if I can continue to discipline myself and not add more varieties.
I too love the chocolate "habs" and one of my favs for hot powder is the cappuccino "hab" which is very hot and smokey, but I didn't really like the peter pepper much at all.

You are correct Derek, the peter pepper is not good at all. I will grow some ornamentals for two reasons, 1. They do not get bothered by the pepper maggots and 2. i have to have hundreds of pepper plants surrounding my house and yard in the summer. Hello my name is Dale and I am an addict:mouthonfire:.

AlabamaJack said:
Tabasco are the best Pam...I use the powder for a lot of things and they are all I use to make infused vinegar for my greens....

They're boring, and they don't hold well.

I do not, however, eat them fresh..[/QUOTE]

Boooooooorrrrrring

I have to agree w/ Pam I grew Tabasco's in 07 and was'nt impressed The plant looked really cool though. I do remember them getting mushy very fast too.

Dale

Yes an ornamental absolutely, beautiful foliage and peppers that grow everywhere in abundance skyward. I have had the most success overwintering Tabasco(C. Frutescens) more than any other plant period. I just discovered how amazing tabasco powder is, I have an old Lowery's Season Salt shaker full. Love this stuff, that is why there are so many different flavors of pepper. Just had to stick up for one of my favorite plants.

Its OK for you not to like them, but If you don't mind, I am still going to grow about 8 plants this year...

Some people laugh at my addiction to Jalapeños. "Fresnos are better!" they say... you should grow what's best for you.

joeknowsjolokia said:
I know what you mean! I'm growing like four diff.;) jalapeno kinds.
That's it? last season I had something like ten different types. YES, I ATE 'EM ALL.

Back