• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What was the last spicy meal you cooked?

And how did it turn out?

I was in the mood for wings, but wasn't going to do anything fancy, just wanted something quick using what was in the house. Baked the wings in the oven with a dry rub of cayenne, Death Rain, pepper, and bih jolokia powder (from Muso2112). Took them out and coated with Cap'n's savina sauce. Pretty good for a quick meal.

The Count said:
In my defense I no longer even stock kidney beans in my pantry. So at least they are pintos, lol.

As a fellow Texan.

I can't argue against that.

Pinto beans.

A pot of pintos is true Texas comfort food.

And yet.

When I was a kid growing up in the Rio Grand Valley I knew some other kids.

And a small bowl of cold pinto beans would be their breakfast.

And their lunch.

Supper?

My family lived off of FR2556 alongst the Arroyo Colorado.

There was a another family that lived about a mile away on Orange Grove Road.

Kids didn't have shoes and I don't remember them ever coming to school.

But that was a long time ago.

I don't reckon those folks would be bitchin' on the interwebz.

About beans in their chili.

And yet.

I am here.

Grilled lamb chops, saffron and aji amarillo rice, and home made spicy pickled okra.

Attachments

• 20180227_210355.jpg
    20180227_210355.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 39
ShowMeDaSauce said:

True but galbi is actually served both "seasoned" and unseasoned". One of my favorite Korean place offers it and pork belly both ways. The flavor in unmistakable though in bulgogi and i find it very addictive. A Chinese buffet i loved served what they called House Special Beef. The owner was Chinese but he was a cook for a long time in Korea. His "special beef" was remarkably similar to bulgogi. He would just smile when i mentioned it and bring me some kimchi. :D

yangnyeom-galbi is marinated ribs
saeng-galbi is fresh ribs

I really prefer the marinated. I find the sweetness compliments the kimchi and vice-versa. I will literally eat myself almost to the point of being sick on Korean BBQ.

That is a bit of a non sequitur to my post.   I wasn't commenting at all about the flavour of asian pear  , just letting people know that it also acts as a tenderizer.  I think anyone who has added fresh pineapple to a marinade for the flavour  , without realizing what it will do to the meat, will appreciate a heads up on potential enzymatic action if they plan to use it. 

Personally I don't use it for kalbi, but my marinade is  somewhat off normal script.   maple syrup and fish sauce  are two of the more unusual adds.  rice wine vinegar instead of rice wine, a shit ton of ginger.   The rest is more or less along the same lines as most other marinades I have seen.  

Tonight's dinner.

First off, 542g rib eye steak which was rubbed with mustard and seasoned with my own seven spice mix.
dBBNMez.jpg

On my gas grill (next to some Porterhouse steaks) with some hickory in my smoker box.
HoShgMC.jpg

Accompanied by buttered corn cooked on the grill and a side salad with fresh Sugar Rush Cream slices.
7OZej4b.jpg

So tender. 
ZlXMbFc.jpg

Sauced with my Scarlet Pain sauce.
hLl7zmt.jpg

:cheers:
SR. 

Back