• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's going on with my TS plants?

Can anyone tell me what, if anything is happening here? Lately my two Trin Scorp plants have started growing this "stringy" new growth...
7778573860_8f5965ecee_k.jpg

7778584884_0ab44baf9d_k.jpg

I can't really make out what's wrong in those pictures, but something is very wrong.

Has a vine overgrown it or something?

When'd it start?

Certainly not a vine or any other plant. It started a couple weeks ago. I notice some new growth starting from the main stalks, and I was thinking I was going to start seeing flowers soon, and this is what it became!

this happened to my scotch bonnet and numex twilight too, just 2 plants, I just nuked them with a heavy dose of fert and they are fine now. but that may not work for you, since I stopped fertilizing about a month befor this happened so know I can do it.

Maybe something in the dirt or poison from mites saliva, isolate them treat em for bugs and Bacteria, 3 treatments 3 days between.

If there is bronzing/browning on the undersides of the damaged leaves, it will be broad mite damage for sure. If not, I would also think something else toxic. Have you been using any herbacides or anything around the plants? Some nutrients in excess can be toxic too--have you been fertilizing a lot or in large amounts? Curious as to what looks like burns on the leaves in the second pic--can you explain them or are they unknown to you too?

I will check the undersides. I can't explain the burns. I'm a newbie! I have 3 Bolivian Rainbow plants in the same raised bed, and they are doing fine and producing fruit. I don't think I've been fertilizing too much. Using Jobe's Organics every two weeks, and a dose of epsom salt on the alternating week. Had been using Garden Safe's insecticidal soap, but just yesterday started using homemade soap/water.

Not that I know of but it's possible. I live in a condo and have some growing space in front of my unit. The association cuts the grass and handles other outdoor matters. Would that explain the weird growth? If so, what would you recommend that I do? Overall the plant is healthy. Will the toxins work their way out on their own?

Captain Cap...

Herbacides could explain the weird growth. Have you confirmed with the gardener/s the use of weed killers?

Have you checked the undersides of the leaves for bronzing/browning too?

I ask because this is broad mite damage:

IMG_5810.jpg

That picture is spot on as to how my new growth looks! There isn't any significant browning on the undersides of the leaves. Perhaps some minor bronzing. This started recently. Any advice as to how to treat the plants would be very much appreciated. I'll find out about the weed killers but that picture of broad mite damage really is spot on.

Edit: I have neem oil at home. I'll hit them hard tonight.

It was definitely a big help. I need to prune off the new growth areas tonight. The other plants around my pepper plants look fine and as such I didn't thoroughly spray them. Do I just need to spray the plants around my pepper plants or do I have to do the whole garden (rose bushes, zinnias, etc.)? This sucks!

IMG_0102-12.jpg
It was definitely a big help. I need to prune off the new growth areas tonight. The other plants around my pepper plants look fine and as such I didn't thoroughly spray them. Do I just need to spray the plants around my pepper plants or do I have to do the whole garden (rose bushes, zinnias, etc.)? This sucks!
I use a mix to control them; Scorpion juice(or a very hot Sauce) strained, 2 TBS Neem Oil, 2 TBSP mild detergent(if infestation is bad you can use tick and flea dog shampoo) and water to make 1 Gallon. It should burn your tongue like hot sauce if the pepper juice ratio is correct. I start with 1/2 gallon of water then dilute it keeping it spicy by adding more pepper juice/hot sauce. I use a funnel and cheese cloth to strain the pepper juice after I cook and puree them. Also Habaneros work well and are cheap to buy if you have no Super Hots. GL

I would agree with the broad mite diagnosis. If you have any other plants nearby I would move them away.
I would treat the infected plant with some form of pesticide and then try and remove the abonormal growth.

When I had an infestation it took a while for the plants to recover. If and when you get rid of the mites the plant
should start new shoots of normal looking growth maily from side shoots.

These days I take no chances. I find the best way to avoid them is to be pre-emptive.
I spray all my plants down with neem a few times a week even if there are no pests present.

Good Luck
Brent

Mine do have the brown spots/bronzing on the undersides... ugh! I think some friendly lacewings came along and took care of them though. I can't find any evidence the mites are still there.

What do I do? Should I prune all the damaged leaves and distorted growth?

Back