• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking What's your best on the smoker?

Interesting... you don't trim your ribs? Looks like you cooked 'em with the flap.

That's actually two racks stacked on top of each other.

Bad camera angle I reckon.:lol:

Ohhhh I see now. NOW it looks awesome!!! LOL. Dem's still big racks!

Does anyone ever use pork picnic roasts instead of butts for pulled pork? They seem to work well for me since butts aren't easy to find around here

LUCKYDOG said:
Big ol racks definitly not St Louis cut -- Dem's from a big old pig

I thought you said "Dem's FOR a big old pig".

I was gonna ask "when you been to my house?" Then I read it again.:lol:

You're right - I cook the whole slab - don't want none of the goodness trimmed off.

I will fire up a set of babybacks or two if the prim and proper are comin' over tho.

DownRiver said:
You're right - I cook the whole slab - don't want none of the goodness trimmed off.
I knew it :D
The only problem is that usually causes uneven cooking, how were they?

I love BBQ !! If you'll kill it , clean it , smoke it ........ I'll help you hide the evidence

I really like "Pork Butt ", I do a nice one to make pulled pork. I also love "Goat" , especially when a Tajano brother is at the controls.

I voted for beef brisket because I've done them long enough it's pretty much a No Fail. This is an old photo , brisket smoked for 6 hours and ready to be wrapped in foil and oven cooked for another 4 hours. I guess we ate it without photos of the finished brisket ..... Sorry

TexasBBQ.jpg

Brisket .....

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I won a contest with my smoked salmon in Alaska. Is that ok???:lol:

Also in order of best to worst tasting that I make:
1. Smoked salmon
2. Pork butt
3. duck
4. lamb kebobs
5. venison
6. salmon fillets
7. halibut

8. black bear shot on a beach sausage- just godawful!!!:sick:

I love almost everything listed, but I chose pork spare ribs. I love to cook them, and love to eat them.

Beerswimmer said:
I won a contest with my smoked salmon in Alaska. Is that ok???:lol:

Also in order of best to worst tasting that I make:
1. Smoked salmon
2. Pork butt
3. duck
4. lamb kebobs
5. venison
6. salmon fillets
7. halibut

8. black bear shot on a beach sausage- just godawful!!!:sick:

What do you mean "is it ok?" A win with smoke salmon anywhere else is fantastic. To do it in Alaska.....gets you SuperHero status! Beerswimmer for the WIN!

About twice a year, we like to replenish our Andouille and Tasso supply. Might as well do some Butts to fill in the space. I pretty much do low and slow pork. Most of the time it will be smoked, but every now and then a shoulder might slip in Cuban style with mojo made with fresh squeezed sour orange juice. Since I don't have a Caja China, I'll use hardwood charcoal in the firebox.

Groaning under the load!
232323232%7Ffp53646%3Enu%3D3%3A67%3E4%3C5%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D3254%3B46986343nu0mrj

Craig

Ya'll forgot Goose, I smoked a goose nice and slow over a warm fire for Christmas dinner and it was one of the best meals I have had in my life. Everyone knows Duck and Goose are fatty birds but slow cooking in a smoker makes a juicy meat with next to no fat whatsoever.

Ciao all-

I absolutely vote for "share your best smoker recipe" as Cheezydemon said. I got Duane a smoker for his birthday and he had to make ribs to start things off, but I'd be extremely interested in all of your favourite recipes. We don't have a "smoker cookbook" per se, but the experts are all here, so let's see what'cha got!

Back