• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to allow pods?

Scorchio said:
Hi, through Amazon, coconut coir by highstreethydro, 5 bricks, 11 pounds something. You'll be surprised how a brick expands, so just do one to start with. Good luck. Let me know how you get on. Remember they need all nutes in the watering. Also good to ph your water. Easily done with a cheap tester and vinegar or ph down. Plants much happier taking up nutrients at right ph.
Hope I'm helping. I have grown literally hundreds of plants this way in Spain. Plants I would not dare growing in the UK.

I just ordered 5 x 650g bricks. 

I used to buy that stuff from Poundland but didn't have much success due to my ignorance. That was couple of years ago, now *I think* I know better. :D

I have a cheap ph tester, will check it out one of these days. Thanks mate. :)

Honey Badger said:

I just ordered 5 x 650g bricks. 

I used to buy that stuff from Poundland but didn't have much success due to my ignorance. That was couple of years ago, now *I think* I know better. :D

I have a cheap ph tester, will check it out one of these days. Thanks mate. :)
Hi, As I have read, ph 6.8 is good. About the same as the herb I was growing.
I bought a drip tester through Amazon.
Have left most of my growing equipment in Spain. And I will add here my produce out there went to a guy that makes Cancer treatments.
I thought Chillis would make a fun replacement to what I used to do. And it is becoming very interesting.
I need to look into nutes for these plants in more depth but so far, my plants look healthy with new growth every day.
I know a move to different nutes required for flowering. Need to research that but I reckon it will be similar to the other plants I have grown.
No need to over complicate.
Please keep in touch. PM if you want.

Chilidude said:

The info on this fertilizer does say it not suitable for hydroponics, so it might not work too good with pure coco coir growing so you might want to do some soil mix with the coco coir added in there to make the fertilizer work better.
Aah, thank you. Now I
have a dilemma lol. Here's my choice. Lift and repot adding some potting soil .....say 10 or 20% or...
Order in some hydro nutes.
There are some great 2 part nutes for hydro but I didn't want to get so complicated lol.
I'll lift and repot with a little soil.
Thanks for that.
Appreciate you keeping my afternoons busy lol.

Scorchio said:
Aah, thank you. Now I
have a dilemma lol. Here's my choice. Lift and repot adding some potting soil .....say 10 or 20% or...
Order in some hydro nutes.
There are some great 2 part nutes for hydro but I didn't want to get so complicated lol.
I'll lift and repot with a little soil.
Thanks for that.
Appreciate you keeping my afternoons busy lol.

You can always try the one you have now, because if it doest work with coco coir..You should soon see the results. Part of the excitement in chili growing is to try different things and see if they work.

Chilidude said:

You can always try the one you have now, because if it doest work with coco coir..You should soon see the results. Part of the excitement in chili growing is to try different things and see if they work.
Completely agree. This has to be fun.
I lifted them, mixed in some general purpose and put
them back.
Flushed with ph 6.5 water and there I am right now.
It's a very loose mix.
I will resume feeding tomorrow.
Your feedback and comments are always welcome.
If I screw up, I'll adjust to take in other people's knowledge.
Thanks,
John

Scorchio said:
I know a move to different nutes required for flowering. 

Absolutely, positively, untrue.  It's such a false statement.  It's not that you "know" this, it's that you've been told this too many times, for way too long.
I wish we as chile growers would band together, and bust the fertilizer (nutrient) market bullshit.
My mantra: "nature doesn't cycle nutrients."
When a plant is given optimal conditions, switching the nutrients is ridiculously unnecessary.  Pay attention to lighting, temperature, humidity, pH, etc, and you'll do just fine.  But for God's sake...  let's stop passing on the multi-part misinformation.  You don't need them! (truth be told, you don't even need them for that "other" plant)

Scorchio said:
Completely agree. This has to be fun.
I lifted them, mixed in some general purpose and put
them back.
Flushed with ph 6.5 water and there I am right now.
It's a very loose mix.
I will resume feeding tomorrow.
Your feedback and comments are always welcome.
If I screw up, I'll adjust to take in other people's knowledge.
Thanks,
John

Coco coir is amazing to grow in, but it's got quirks.  I've got a lot of experience growing in it, both indoors and out.  If you want any tips, tricks, etc, just ask.  I've tried a lot of wacky stuff, and I've succeeded and f'ed up in just about every possible way.  My experiences are yours for the asking...

solid7 said:

Absolutely, positively, untrue.  It's such a false statement.  It's not that you "know" this, it's that you've been told this too many times, for way too long.
I wish we as chile growers would band together, and bust the fertilizer (nutrient) market bullshit.
My mantra: "nature doesn't cycle nutrients."
When a plant is given optimal conditions, switching the nutrients is ridiculously unnecessary.  Pay attention to lighting, temperature, humidity, pH, etc, and you'll do just fine.  But for God's sake...  let's stop passing on the multi-part misinformation.  You don't need them! (truth be told, you don't even need them for that "other" plant)
I'm sorry. Seems I hit a nerve there and did not mean to.

Scorchio said:
I'm sorry. Seems I hit a nerve there and did not mean to.

Hahaha!  No man, it's not personal! (my righteous indignation is aimed at the people who perpetuate the falsehoods to turn a quick buck) I just hate that a fun and easy hobby has been invaded by snake oil salesmen.
Sorry if it came across wrong.  I like helping people grow better, pure and simple.  

I feed mine with Smurf Juice. Well, some of the times. Other times I feed them oganic sea weed extract. I also have organic chicken manure pellets of which a handful went into the pot when I was repotting and hopefully slowly releasing nutrients to plants. Sometimes I steep some in water till they disolve and water my plants with the solution. The only thing I'm yet to do is comfrey tea which I have in a closed bucket and it stinks like sh**.

Still, my plants are only OK, maybe average. They are healthy though and will produce in good time.

solid7 said:

Hahaha!  No man, it's not personal! (my righteous indignation is aimed at the people who perpetuate the falsehoods to turn a quick buck) I just hate that a fun and easy hobby has been invaded by snake oil salesmen.
Sorry if it came across wrong.  I like helping people grow better, pure and simple.  
I see your point and do not take it personally.
I openly admit this is my first year trying to grow these plants and am enjoying the ride.
I'm here to gain knowledge from those more experienced than me.
Every hobby gets exploited by snake oil salesmen.
I'm currently brewing a tea from chicken poo pellets. In Spain we have a resident bat in a shed.
I make a weak tea from that.
We English love tea lol.

Honey Badger said:
I feed mine with Smurf Juice. Well, some of the times. Other times I feed them oganic sea weed extract. I also have organic chicken manure pellets of which a handful went into the pot when I was repotting and hopefully slowly releasing nutrients to plants. Sometimes I steep some in water till they disolve and water my plants with the solution. The only thing I'm yet to do is comfrey tea which I have in a closed bucket and it stinks like sh**.

Still, my plants are only OK, maybe average. They are healthy though and will produce in good time.
I bought a house last year and found a gallon tub of chicken poo pellets. They had got wet and it is like toffee now.
I'm mixing an ounce roughly into a gallon of water and stirring for a couple of days.
My tomatoes are going mental for it. Chillis seem happy as well.
I alternate every watering with an organic tomatoe feed.
I see no complaints from the plants so think I'm doing OK.

Scorchio said:
I see your point and do not take it personally.
I openly admit this is my first year trying to grow these plants and am enjoying the ride.
I'm here to gain knowledge from those more experienced than me.
Every hobby gets exploited by snake oil salesmen.
I'm currently brewing a tea from chicken poo pellets. In Spain we have a resident bat in a shed.
I make a weak tea from that.
We English love tea lol.

Please forgive my bluntness.  It's the way that I am, and I gave up trying to fix it, many years ago. (try to accept that it's my personality, but never personal, unless otherwise specified)   But...  I do appreciate a good sense of humor, and a shared hobby.  I will share any of my experiences with you, and I will challenge myself to try anything new, should you have a convincing basis for it.

Manure teas work very well.  If you are close to the sea, you can make a damn near perfectly complete (in every way) fertilizer from chicken manure, crushed eggshells, and seaweed.  Since you seem to be on board with a more natural approach.  I did one very similar last year with rabbit manure, eggshell, and seaweed.  Great stuff.

solid7 said:

Please forgive my bluntness.  It's the way that I am, and I gave up trying to fix it, many years ago. (try to accept that it's my personality, but never personal, unless otherwise specified)   But...  I do appreciate a good sense of humor, and a shared hobby.  I will share any of my experiences with you, and I will challenge myself to try anything new, should you have a convincing basis for it.

Manure teas work very well.  If you are close to the sea, you can make a damn near perfectly complete (in every way) fertilizer from chicken manure, crushed eggshells, and seaweed.  Since you seem to be on board with a more natural approach.  I did one very similar last year with rabbit manure, eggshell, and seaweed.  Great stuff.
I'm all for keeping it natural if possible. But I have and will use chemicals on red spyder mite no question.
Chicken poo, seaweed and my mate in Arizona is using ground eggshells for his tomatoes. I can't argue can I?
All good in my book.
Here's a question for you.
How do you feel about added sugars? As in molasses.
I am about to start adding it to my watering. I'm sure you know why.

Scorchio said:
I'm all for keeping it natural if possible. But I have and will use chemicals on red spyder mite no question.
Chicken poo, seaweed and my mate in Arizona is using ground eggshells for his tomatoes. I can't argue can I?
All good in my book.
Here's a question for you.
How do you feel about added sugars? As in molasses.
I am about to start adding it to my watering. I'm sure you know why.

Funny you should mention it.  There is a topic on it right now.

My stance is that I prefer to use molasses in AACT to get a microbe colony going, and then to use what the microbes create, rather than using it straight into the plant.  The nutrients in molasses aren't readily available, anyway.   For me, molasses brewed tea beats molasses as a fertilizer, on any given Sunday.

solid7 said:

Funny you should mention it.  There is a topic on it right now.

My stance is that I prefer to use molasses in AACT to get a microbe colony going, and then to use what the microbes create, rather than using it straight into the plant.  The nutrients in molasses aren't readily available, anyway.   For me, molasses brewed tea beats molasses as a fertilizer, on any given Sunday.
I'm going to try that. Add a spoon to my chicken poo tea and let it go for a couple of days.
It's sounding like a plan.
I'm getting thirsty lol.

If your Hot Paper Lantern is anything like the one I grew in '17 then it will meet the deadline and the supply for that chili contest. It's the most productive plant I have had so far.

*I grew mine in a raised bed with good depth & 40% shade cloth.

Scorchio said:
I bought a house last year and found a gallon tub of chicken poo pellets. They had got wet and it is like toffee now.
I'm mixing an ounce roughly into a gallon of water and stirring for a couple of days.
My tomatoes are going mental for it. Chillis seem happy as well.
I alternate every watering with an organic tomatoe feed.
I see no complaints from the plants so think I'm doing OK.

I have so many different ferts that I don't know what to use next. I'm yet to use comfrey tea which is brewing since March and it stinks to high heaven when I open that bucket. It's hard to wash your hands if you get even a drop of if on your skin. 

My courgettes, corn and beans ("3 sisters") will get some this evening I think. 

How often do you guys feed your plants? Not just peppers, but everything else - tomatoes, beans, etc. I'm restricting to once a week or once a fortnight. My plants are not huge but I think that's mainly lack of decent light - my garden is NE facing and I have mature trees shading it for a good chunk of day. Also, the highest temperature we get these days is about 23°C, sometimes less. I don't want to kill my plants with too much food, I'd rather they go malnourished but I don't think they are.

Spicy Mushroom said:
If your Hot Paper Lantern is anything like the one I grew in '17 then it will meet the deadline and the supply for that chili contest. It's the most productive plant I have had so far.

*I grew mine in a raised bed with good depth & 40% shade cloth.
Well it's reached a foot tall. It's divided twice so I have 4 branches all flowering well.
Going to take your advice and let it go now. I bought the plugs from a Devon based Company and they say 300,000 SHO.
Went to Pub yesterday and the Manager and Wife have just given notice to quit.
Just when it was going well. Has skittle alley and B&B rooms. Lot of clubs meet there Eg. Landrover bods.
Guy says 100 hour weeks are too much. Can't blame him.
I'm just using a 60 quid plastic covered greenhouse about 5ft square. Good value with 2 levels of shelving.
Find all plants wilting when it gets to 30C. So I get them out for the day.
I thought Chillis would cope but they don't . Wimps compared to my tomatoes!
Not sure how I would shade cloth the greenhouse. But moving a dozen plants is no big deal.
It's got new flowers, I'll let it go now. Thanks.

Back