• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to allow pods?

Honey Badger said:

I have so many different ferts that I don't know what to use next. I'm yet to use comfrey tea which is brewing since March and it stinks to high heaven when I open that bucket. It's hard to wash your hands if you get even a drop of if on your skin. 

My courgettes, corn and beans ("3 sisters") will get some this evening I think. 

How often do you guys feed your plants? Not just peppers, but everything else - tomatoes, beans, etc. I'm restricting to once a week or once a fortnight. My plants are not huge but I think that's mainly lack of decent light - my garden is NE facing and I have mature trees shading it for a good chunk of day. Also, the highest temperature we get these days is about 23°C, sometimes less. I don't want to kill my plants with too much food, I'd rather they go malnourished but I don't think they are.
I was told by someone who knows, never feed them same thing twice in a row. I stick to that little rule. I'm using Organic Tomatoe Fertiliser by Green Future. Good reviews on Amazon. They recommend 2 to 3 times per week. A new friend above has recommended a fertiliser that I'm going to try. Not being secretive, just need to look at pms to give name.
I am constantly brewing a chicken poo tea and will be adding a little molasses to that from now on.
I also have Epsom Salts and disolve a little into a feed once a week.
No way I'm claiming I know what I am doing but it is going OK so far.
Just being here a couple of weeks has helped a lot.
I was a Londoner (SE21). Moved to Spain, now back in Somerset.
Nice sunny day, greenhouse at 25C. All is well in the World.
Have a sneaking suspicion the plants are growing more through the night than the day.

Scorchio said:
I was told by someone who knows, never feed them same thing twice in a row. I stick to that little rule.

Have a sneaking suspicion the plants are growing more through the night than the day.

But in the same time if you grow in the coco coir you should feed them with fertilizer water everytime you water them and yes the chilis grow grow better in the night than day if the temps in the nightime are not too low.

last year my pods didn't ripen until early September. Better this year but if you wanted pods by mid August then early July would be when pods start to grow.

I think the biggest problem us UK growers have is the night time temps (your place a little better than mine), peppers do grow 24/7 but not when the temps go too low.

any chance you can pot some up into 20+ litre containers? I don't know if 10 would be big enough? I also use pelleted chicken manure and seaweed, plus calcified seaweed, haven't touched them for 6 weeks.

ranj said:
any chance you can pot some up into 20+ litre containers? I don't know if 10 would be big enough?

10 litre is plenty big container to grow the chilis big and i would not put them in any larger containers than that when the season is at this point, because it takes a while for the roots to grow enough to fill the 20 litre container and any growing above the soil level will come to an halt for a long time and in the worst case scenario it could even ruin the entire pepper harvest in a shorter season.

Chilidude said:

10 litre is plenty big container to grow the chilis big and i would not put them in any larger containers than that when the season is at this point, because it takes a while for the roots to grow enough to fill the 20 litre container and any growing above the soil level will come to an halt for a long time and in the worst case scenario it could even ruin the entire pepper harvest in a shorter season.

she/he's growing a few maybe could try just it with 2 or 3, location means there's about 3 months left (weather dependent).
What size airpots you use? Would love to grow big plant in 10 litre but not skillful enough, maybe next year

ranj said:

she/he's growing a few maybe could try just it with 2 or 3, location means there's about 3 months left (weather dependent).
What size airpots you use? Would love to grow big plant in 10 litre but not skillful enough, maybe next year

They are 9-10 litre, i can grow really big plants with those if the season is nice and warm. You can always put plants in a a really big containers, but you have to start your growing season early to give time for the roots to fill up the containers.

Chilidude said:

But in the same time if you grow in the coco coir you should feed them with fertilizer water everytime you water them and yes the chilis grow grow better in the night than day if the temps in the snightime are not too low.
Hi, yes. Can't resist giving them something every time.
Night drops to 10C or a bit below.
But the plants always look happy first thing in the morning.

Scorchio said:
I was told by someone who knows, never feed them same thing twice in a row. I stick to that little rule. I'm using Organic Tomatoe Fertiliser by Green Future. Good reviews on Amazon. They recommend 2 to 3 times per week. A new friend above has recommended a fertiliser that I'm going to try. Not being secretive, just need to look at pms to give name.
I am constantly brewing a chicken poo tea and will be adding a little molasses to that from now on.
I also have Epsom Salts and disolve a little into a feed once a week.
No way I'm claiming I know what I am doing but it is going OK so far.
Just being here a couple of weeks has helped a lot.
I was a Londoner (SE21). Moved to Spain, now back in Somerset.
Nice sunny day, greenhouse at 25C. All is well in the World.

If I had a quid every time "someone who knows" told me... :D

This year is my first kind of serious grow. I'm doing my research, buying ferts, large pots, good compost and every other bit of interesting information I find online and generally doing my best to get the best out of about 25 chilli plants of about 10 varieties I have. The only reason is - because is fun.

I have 2 Serranos which are same in size and I feed one with Smurf Juice, other gets different fert. I have 2 lemondrops, one is topped, other isn't and so on. I was giving them Epsom Salts, aspirin spray, you name it...

I think is down to temperature, light, quality of growing medium, feed and last but not least are pests. In that order. If all components are optimal, you'll have a good harvest. Simples.

My two lemondrops are about 2' and hardly have any buds. A few they have are shriveled and black. I think they got ravaged by something and yesterday I sprayed everyone with Neem oil solution. Tomorrow I will water and feed all of them and put them under a gazebo because a rain is forecast.

As you say - all is well in the world.

Slow day at the office. :)

Honey Badger said:

Are you sure that coco + perlite is enough? I feel it might drain too quickly. 

Coco + perlite is more than sufficient.  Mix at 75/25, coco to perlite, respectively.  Even better if you add 5% compost - like worm castings, to the mix.  As good as any commercially bought potting mix.

Chilidude said:

The info on this fertilizer does say it not suitable for hydroponics, so it might not work too good with pure coco coir growing so you might want to do some soil mix with the coco coir added in there to make the fertilizer work better.

You don't need a pure hydro nutrient for growing in coco.  Coco is DTW, which is right on the border of hydro.

Again, as above, adding 5% compost makes a world of difference, and you can use any nutrient/fertilizer that you want.  I have used organic dry ferts in coco/perlite, but the addition of the compost blows the whole thing up to a new level.

Chilidude said:

the chilis grow grow better in the night than day if the temps in the nightime are not too low.

All plants photosynthesize during the day, and apply the stored energy (grow) at night.

Honey Badger said:
I think is down to temperature, light, quality of growing medium, feed and last but not least are pests. In that order. If all components are optimal, you'll have a good harvest. Simples.

I think you almost have it right, but light, media, temp, humidity, are critical.  When to comes to nutrients, there is no gradation of quality.  You either have, or you have not, sufficient levels of necessary elements.

The things above are the tangibles.  They all share equal weight.  And yes, if you get that stuff right, your grow is simple, and will be great.

Pest are intangibles.  You can have everything else just right, and still get f'ed here...

solid7 said:
Again, as above, adding 5% compost makes a world of difference, and you can use any nutrient/fertilizer that you want.  I have used organic dry ferts in coco/perlite, but the addition of the compost blows the whole thing up to a new level.

Sure thing, adding little of that compost in the coco coir will bring some of those beneficial little creatures in the mix and they will help break down those organic nutes so much faster.

Scorchio said:
I'm just using a 60 quid plastic covered greenhouse about 5ft square. Good value with 2 levels of shelving.
Your UK weather might not call for shadecloth... my summers are hellish. 85 degrees you mentioned shouldn't be an issue.

What size containers are your chilis in though? Larger more established plants will handle heat stress better. **edit: I see this was addressed. I can't get away with growing in containers that small here, but if the veterans are saying it can be done then it should be ok.

Honey Badger said:

If I had a quid every time "someone who knows" told me... :D

This year is my first kind of serious grow. I'm doing my research, buying ferts, large pots, good compost and every other bit of interesting information I find online and generally doing my best to get the best out of about 25 chilli plants of about 10 varieties I have. The only reason is - because is fun.

I have 2 Serranos which are same in size and I feed one with Smurf Juice, other gets different fert. I have 2 lemondrops, one is topped, other isn't and so on. I was giving them Epsom Salts, aspirin spray, you name it...

My two lemondrops are about 2' and hardly have any buds. A few they have are shriveled and black. I think they got ravaged by something and yesterday I sprayed everyone with Neem oil solution. Tomorrow I will water and feed all of them and put them under a gazebo because a rain is forecast.

As you say - all is well in the world.

Slow day at the office. :)
Definately a combination of all you said. I get snails in the greenhouse and all over the garden.
I'm getting through a lot of pellets.
Was using Neem Oil in Spain for red spider mites. Now have whitefly on the tomatoes but got them sorted with a bug spray.
Not liking the sound of shriveled and black though. Like to know what that is.
Doesn't sound like a bug. Sounds like a nutrient or soil thing to me.
Have you posted it?
There's bound to be people on here who know what that is. Save you time and heartache if they do.

Chilidude said:

Sure thing, adding little of that compost in the coco coir will bring some of those beneficial little creatures in the mix and they will help break down those organic nutes so much faster.
Gently lifted them today and added a little potting compost and put them back.
As the 11L pots are their final resting place I thought get it right now.
Thanks for your input.
Going to overwinter a few of them if possible. Thinking if I get survivors then I may root trim them next Spring and refresh the soil.
Does that sound ok?

Spicy Mushroom said:
Your UK weather might not call for shadecloth... my summers are hellish. 85 degrees you mentioned shouldn't be an issue.

What size containers are your chilis in though? Larger more established plants will handle heat stress better. **edit: I see this was addressed. I can't get away with growing in containers that small here, but if the veterans are saying it can be done then it should be ok.
Hi Spicy,
Honestly never thought I'd have a problem with heat. But when temps get to 30C in the tent then they start flopping and curling leaves.
Rest of day outside in shade and they are perky next morning.
Just moved them to 11L (2 gal) pots.
They are all around 10 inches tall.

solid7 said:

Coco + perlite is more than sufficient.  Mix at 75/25, coco to perlite, respectively.  Even better if you add 5% compost - like worm castings, to the mix.  As good as any commercially bought potting mix.

You don't need a pure hydro nutrient for growing in coco.  Coco is DTW, which is right on the border of hydro.

All plants photosynthesize during the day, and apply the stored energy (grow) at night.
I thought the little devils were doing something when I wasn't looking lol.
Silly as it sounds, I always look forward to opening the door on them in the morning.

While I'm here. Has anyone else grown a plant called Submarine?
It's a bit different.
Main stem is not round. It is more like oblong shaped. Like it's been flattened?
Hard to describe but it is very odd.

Chilidude said:

I do want to try keeping some over Winter.
Have a South facing kitchen with a long window sill. The 11L pots just fit on it.
This room keeps warm when rest of house is cold as we run an Aga.
I need to stick to these pots because of this.

Scorchio said:
Have a South facing kitchen with a long window sill. The 11L pots just fit on it.
Check out 247garden dot com. I ordered a ton of fabric pots from them this year. Super cheap with good construction. They have 'Tall' versions. One of the tall ones might have a diameter that will fit on that window sill but offer a higher gallon capacity.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Check out 247garden dot com. I ordered a ton of fabric pots from them this year. Super cheap with good construction. They have 'Tall' versions. One of the tall ones might have a diameter that will fit on that window sill but offer a higher gallon capacity.
Thanks.I took a look. I don't think they would ship to UK. I always get that problem.
Perhaps through Amazon UK I'll find some place.
I can't say they had filled the 3L pots with root when I shifted them yesterday. I think I have plenty of time before they outgrow the 11L pots.

Back