• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which Superhot is most prolific and has great flavor?

That depends on your tolerance level. I think a Scorpion has the best flavor... but a lot of people say it is too hot to taste anything. The Chocolate Bhut Jolokia is also a great tasting chile with a more manageable heat and good production.
Really? :shocked: I am actually shocked that someone would say that, because I've read so many threads around here comparing the superhots with seemingly the majority of people claiming the Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich are best for heat/flavor, while the Trinidad Scorpion sucks for flavor but has damn good heat. The reason I'm surprised is... I actually agree with you, and I thought I was the only one with this opinion. I don't know what exactly it is about the Scorpion, but there's just something I like about its flavor. Maybe it's just its uniqueness, or its tendency to be less in-your-face than the flavor of the Bhut/Naga.

But, I should add, too much Bhut, Naga or Scorpion leads to too strong of a taste (yet a hell of a good burn), so the superhots seem best to use one or two at the very most (and IMO, 2 is cutting it close in terms of taste). To be honest... aside from the shape and size of the peppers and their initial green hue when unripe... I would never be able to tell the difference between the Bhut and Naga... but the Scorpion has a flavor of its own.
I will be trying the Chocolate Bhut and the 7 Pod for the first time this year if things turn out well. :hell:

To me most scorpions have a fairly good flavor, but the Butch T is much different especially when eating a raw pod. I find it more like a hot poker with battery acid and very little flavor. In sauces I find them much better but still nowhere near the flavor of others

To me most scorpions have a fairly good flavor, but the Butch T is much different especially when eating a raw pod. I find it more like a hot poker with battery acid and very little flavor. In sauces I find them much better but still nowhere near the flavor of others

I have been thinking about the flavors and remembered last year about the Douglahs I tried. The first one was the same as you describe the Butch T, pungent like battery acid. Then I tried another from a different source, still extremely hot, but it was nutty and had a nice flavor. The same thing happened with the Scorpions. Judy's tasted awesome then a few from other sources did not taste as good. So is it the purity (or impurity ) of the seed or the growing conditions that affect the flavor more. Last year the Naga Morich and Chocolate Bhut’s I grew were so much hotter than others I had tried yet they still tasted very similar just hotter. I am growing Judy's scorpions this year so it will be interesting to see if my growing conditions (20% humidity, 100+ temps) will make them hotter and taste more like battery acid or if the flavor will stay the same and they will just be hotter. Makes me think it would be interesting to grow a Scorpion or any super hot in happy cooler un-stressed conditions trying to make it less hot so you could taste the true flavor more.

They've tasted the same for me for several years and grown under different conditions. I believe there are some scorpions going around these days as Butch Ts that really aren't. I've seen lots of reviews of the ButchT over the last 5 years or so and there's only 1 or 2 I know of who actually commented on liking the flavor, and in these cases the pods seemed suspiciously non ButchT like.
Just my thoughts

Sara's Trinidad Scorpions are delicious! way better flavor than most superhots including the Naga-types.

Beagle...I expected YOU to say that your favie pepper was the choclate 7 after last years video.
I haven't tasted a Barrackpore, or a ButchT yet, but will soon. So far, my favie is Judy's Bhut Carbon. Has a nice, sweet flavor to it. I also like the white hab. What's funny is that I really don't like hab's at all. lol

They've tasted the same for me for several years and grown under different conditions. I believe there are some scorpions going around these days as Butch Ts that really aren't. I've seen lots of reviews of the ButchT over the last 5 years or so and there's only 1 or 2 I know of who actually commented on liking the flavor, and in these cases the pods seemed suspiciously non ButchT like.
Just my thoughts

Grew Butch Ts the last couple of years and i have to agree that i did not like the taste. Has a very strong odour in my opionion. Yellow 7 on the other hand was very nice. Brain strain and Barrackpore were tasty too.

I don't know superhots at all, because I've never tasted one. This year I am, however, growing Trinidad Scorpions from Uncle Steve (www.ushotstuff.com). Anybody had that particular one, and if so, how does it compare with the other scorpions? Crazy high heat levels are not as important to me as interesting flavor and aroma...I've been real happy growing the Caribbean Red Habs from Baker Creek for a few years now...

Beagle...I expected YOU to say that your favie pepper was the choclate 7 after last years video.
I haven't tasted a Barrackpore, or a ButchT yet, but will soon. So far, my favie is Judy's Bhut Carbon. Has a nice, sweet flavor to it. I also like the white hab. What's funny is that I really don't like hab's at all. lol

Yea that was my initial enthusiasm of that particular pod. Now after trying so may other varieties I have for the time being decided put the Chocolate 7 in my top ten category until I can try it again. I don’t know that I am going to be able to pick just one absolute favorite. Since everyone was so generous last season I got to try multiple samples of the same pepper and I noticed that the same pepper from two different people did not always taste the same. Many times they did, or they were close.. other times I was left scratching my head wondering how they could be so different. I was not able to germinate any seeds from the Chocolate 7 this year so I am just leaving it in the top ten instead of saying it is my favorite until I can reproduce it's deliciousness. LOL For what it is worth .. at this point, the only pepper I can absolutely say is awesome is the Chocolate Bhut. I tried 4 different sources and they were all similar and delicious. I am growing most of the stuff on my list so I hope to really refine that list this season (and add a few more new ones to screw it up again) LOL

Strictly going by the size of the plant, pod production, and flavor (of pods imo of near or over 1,000,000 shu) the 7 pot "Jonah" has the biggest plants, 7 feet+ tall, 4 foot wide here, and make more pods than any other "medium large podded" plant I have grown. The Scorpion is way hotter & I think the heat level actually interferes with the taste, the first bite is actually quite pleasant for about 15 seconds! lol

i wonder which scorp strain i got growin now coz those were from asia's garden on ebay. makes me wonder. don't got pods on it now, pretty tasty but man they hit hard.

Back