• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

White rum - scotch bonnet drink

I'll have to try to find some douglah seeds for next year. They are of the 7-pot family aren't they?
Will keep you up to date about the brew, so you can plan your trip ...
Merry Christmas.

Will have to find some douglah seeds for next season. Read the recipe and sounds great. The douglah belongs to the 7-pot family, isn't it?
Will keep you up to date about the brew, so you can plan your trip ...
Merry Christmas

Yes, they are of the 7-pot family. I also considered brain strain, but liked the flavor of the douglah paired with the bourbon and molasses better. I have now baked a few pans, and added some notes to the thread. Have to admit these are not easy to make, but the best things never are, and these are amazingly good. (I think I said that already!)

LOL - I do travel quite a bit for business, so you never know - we could well enjoy a glass together!

Joyeux Noël!

The error of my earlier post(s) has been pointed out - the tequila and rum are 80 proof (40% alcohol) - now I've been edumacated! lol

Geeme, please no French, but my complements. I am sure your French is better than mine.
This morning noticed something interesting. I mentioned yesterday that the bonnets sank to the bottom, but, I made 2 bottles, and why I don't know, but I stuffed one bottle with yellow bonnets and the other one with red ones. The bottle I tried yesterday, was the red one. And, I now noticed that the yellow bonnets are still floating. Really strange. Will have to do more research...

Do you happen to have any seeds in your dried douglahs? If so I would be extremely interested in doing an exchange.
Did you dry the douglahs yourself, or did you purchase them dried? The reason I am asking is that the last time I was in Brazil, I purchased dried chiles and tried to seed them, but none of them germinated. So, I assume they must have been treated.

LOL - I took two years of French in college, and love the language, so I use it from time to time on this forum, as sometimes I just think in French. BUT it's been a while, and I've forgotten much!

Yes, interesting about the red vs. yellow bonnets. I know there's a chemical difference between the two (clearly, or the colors would be the same), but I am curious as to what specifically causes that difference - surely not just the color chemical!?!

The thing to know about drying chiles is that while the heat is low, they ARE being cooked in the process, if a dehydrator is used. (Clearly this isn't the case if they're air-dried.) Because of this, the seeds are usually no longer viable after they're dried - or at least, it would be the rare seed that still is. There is a "seeds wanted/seeds for sale/exchange" thread on this site, and I would recommend you post your desire there. I personally don't grow from seeds, as my son's cat LOVES to kill seedlings when they're about 2" tall. Gave up on trying a couple years ago. She's old and not in good health, though, so hopefully I can start things from seed again in the relatively near future.

115F and below in a dehydrator and the seeds should still be viable. Pop a few in a damp paper towel and seal in a zip lock and see what happens. ;)

Okay - four seeds nestled into a damp paper towel, inside a ziplock bag, on top of the fridge. If any of these sprout, George, I'll send you some. SS - we'll see what happens...... ;o)

Great !!! Keep us posted.
You sure got a "killer cat" there. I would recommend putting a gold fish bowl within the cat's reach. That should subtract the attention.

It's been roughly 2 weeks since I put the four seeds into a ziploc. At this point, one has sprouted and is now showing some green, and has even woven a root into the paper towel. The other three? Nada. Zip. Zilch. De rien.

On another note, the other day I was asked if there is an actual flavor difference between the infused bottles - same type of alcohol, but different types of pods in each - or if the flavor of the alcohol itself plus the heat overshadows the flavor of the type of pod used. Had to say I wasn't 100% sure, as I hadn't done a side-by-side test like that, but my perception was that they tasted different.

So did a mini side-by-side taste test tonight, a swig of manzano-infused vodka and a swig of brain strain-infused vodka. Before each, ate a few crackers to ensure an even starting point. The results? Yes, my perception was right - the pod flavor of each definitely came through.

Hi Gee. You are definitely right. The SB insused rum tasted and smelled really like the SBs.
Great that they germinated. So please take your chance to try to grow them. Would be a shame to sacrifice them to the kitty cat.

We're roughly at the 20-day mark, and it now turns out that all four have sprouted. What to do.... what to do.... Would feel guilty throwing away something trying to grow, especially four somethings trying to grow. Still, knowing the cat will likely kill them in short order makes it difficult.

Nonetheless, went to a garden center this morning and asked if they have warming mats. Not yet - need two more weeks before they'll be out. Went to a couple other places which said it would be at least a month and a half. Hmm..... went and got a space heater at Target. Now have four freakin' douglah sprouts in a room with windows on 2 sides and a door to keep the cat out, and a space heater to try to keep them relatively warm. I have no idea how big these plants will get - height, width, spacing needed..... but of course, that's only a concern if they're not DOA at springtime. What am I doing?!?

Edit: So info on the plants themselves seems to be rather elusive, but I'll assume they're like other 7 Pot varieties, and will get anywhere from 24 to 36 inches tall. In theory, they'll take about 120 days to maturity, so I should start seeing flowers maybe in April/May, if I or the cat don't kill them first. Do I sound pessimistic?!?

We're roughly at the 20-day mark, and it now turns out that all four have sprouted. What to do.... what to do.... Would feel guilty throwing away something trying to grow, especially four somethings trying to grow. Still, knowing the cat will likely kill them in short order makes it difficult.

Nonetheless, went to a garden center this morning and asked if they have warming mats. Not yet - need two more weeks before they'll be out. Went to a couple other places which said it would be at least a month and a half. Hmm..... went and got a space heater at Target. Now have four freakin' douglah sprouts in a room with windows on 2 sides and a door to keep the cat out, and a space heater to try to keep them relatively warm. I have no idea how big these plants will get - height, width, spacing needed..... but of course, that's only a concern if they're not DOA at springtime. What am I doing?!?

Edit: So info on the plants themselves seems to be rather elusive, but I'll assume they're like other 7 Pot varieties, and will get anywhere from 24 to 36 inches tall. In theory, they'll take about 120 days to maturity, so I should start seeing flowers maybe in April/May, if I or the cat don't kill them first. Do I sound pessimistic?!?

Congratz on the new babies. :) Keep the room above 65 (70 would be better) and they will be fine, no heat mat needed. I remove the heat mats once the seeds have germinated.

Awesome !!! The space heater should do the trick. And, as SS says, even 65 degrees is OK, although they won't grow as fast. At 65 degrees they reach with me about 12 inches (no flowers yet!!!), while at 75 degrees, they'll be about 50% taller, and with beginning flowers.
So good luck, and keep us posted !!!

Back