• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Who likes fried chicken?

texas blues said:
It's all cool and the gang. JayT is the pusher I get my blow from. He cuts it with habanero powder.

Cheers, TB.

spew.gif
roflmfao.gif

AlabamaJack said:
the only thing I can add, or will add to what has been said is if the chicken is not as "crispy" as you want, use 1 cup corn starch per two cups of flower...that will really crisp the chicken up...

Good tip AJ I might have to try that....

My only problem (well it's the main problem :lol:) is finding a way to fry it and to keep the temps right.

I don't have a dutch oven or anything like it, and I currently don't have one of these candy/frying thermometers and don't know what they look like (I will search engine them)....

you you guys have your frying bowl on the stove top or in the oven?

I just pluck a sturdy pot on the stove and use the candy thermometer. You can get the thermometer at most any store that has a kitchen gadget aisle, although they're easier to find around Christmas.

moyboy said:
Good tip AJ I might have to try that....

My only problem (well it's the main problem :lol:) is finding a way to fry it and to keep the temps right.

I don't have a dutch oven or anything like it, and I currently don't have one of these candy/frying thermometers and don't know what they look like (I will search engine them)....

I thought an electric skillet as well as a deep fryer was mandatory in any kitchen. :hell:

Mike

wordwiz said:
I thought an electric skillet as well as a deep fryer was mandatory in any kitchen. :hell:

Mike

:lol:......I do have an electric skillet but it is only shallow and omlette sized...

I could do it in the deep fryer but that would mean emptying the canola oil out and adding more peanut oil than I really want to use.....

I will work something out......I think I'm making it far more difficult than it really has to be...:lol:

this what use,i am not sure how good you can see but here you go... it has 2 basket and works like a charm .. the only bad thing is it takes like a gallon of oil to hit the max line ...so we just use it as much as we can...after frying my first batch i wait till it heats back up and then fry more... i cook it on 350
015.jpg

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. What a great thread and not one pic of the chicken. Allow me to remedy that malady. Just so happens that I had so boneless, skinless thighs in the fridge. I intended to use them for chicken marsala but then I came across this thread...

So I combined buttermilk, a little sour cream, and rooster sauce together and got the chicken getting all happy. While the chix were partying I was heating the peanut oil in the dutch and mixing cayenne, granulated garlic, seasalt, fresh cracked pepper and a few ground up dried pequins into some all purpose flour. I then dredged the chix into the flour and coated liberally. I let the chix rest for about 15 minutes and dusted the chix again lightly to cover up any wet spots. Into the peanut oil they went. Once they floated I yanked em' and put them on a wire rack.
I had a little honey mustard jalapeno sauce I used for dipping but the chix was great on its own. The oil temp is the whole key. Once you can raise and lower the heat without thinking about it too much to keep it relatively constant, the rest is pretty easy.

In the marinade...

0182.jpg

Frying in the dutch...

0183.jpg

On the rack...

0185.jpg

And on the fork...

0186.jpg

Cheers ya'll, TB.

looks bloody BEAUTIFUL TB......

I am planning on doing this on the weekend....

Question: Do you use the dutch oven because it is nice and thick and it regulates the heat/temp better?

moyboy said:
looks bloody BEAUTIFUL TB......

I am planning on doing this on the weekend....

Question: Do you use the dutch oven because it is nice and thick and it regulates the heat/temp better?

I reckon it doesn't necessarily regulate it per se but it does hold the heat longer. Much better than that unhealthy aluminum and those other teflon/caphalon abominations. Cast iron all the way baby.

Cheers, TB.

Ok sorry for my absence and here are the answers to your questions: First of all the 300F was because the first two pieces I made got too crunchy on the outside before the inside was fully cooked so I turned it down. I used my deep fryer. The spices were just seasoning salt, pepper, garlic, and sugar in the buttermilk. Then an all purpose seasoning of my own with more salt, garlic, pepper, cayenne, chipotle, onion, and paprika in the flour. Sorry about the lack of pics I ate all but two pieces before I started this thread. By the way the chicken pieces were legs and thighs and I cooked some after an 8 hour soak in the buttermilk and some after about 30hrs and the 30hr chicken was UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Oh and TB Shhhhhh don't tell everyone. I don't have that much Hab powder.

JayT..your explanation is sense worthy and you sir are exonerated. :tosses Ayinger Maibock to JayT: Excellent recipe based on the classic southern. 30 hours! Beautiful!

Cheers, TB.

Oh boy Maibock! You chicken looked delicious as well. I may have to make more this weekend for the Daytona 500. If I do I promise pics this time.

DSCF1935.jpg

we did a fried chicken for the wing comp last year and for this years comp we will keep the recipe.
the marinade is
equal parts
jalapeno green
habanero
blitzed well
salt and pepper
cummin
corriander
brown sugar.
marinate over night
I simply used self raising flour double floured let sit for a couple of hours to let flour bind.
then we smother with stupidly hot all natural wing sace and watch poor fools try to eat.
This year the Fiery Wing Challenge sauce will
be "Quadrophonic"
so hot it screamssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
will consist of Naga Morich, Trinidad Scorpions, Trinidad 7 pots, and Fataliis.
Gonna be a blast.......

stillmanz said:
DSCF1935.jpg

we did a fried chicken for the wing comp last year and for this years comp we will keep the recipe.
the marinade is
equal parts
jalapeno green
habanero
blitzed well
salt and pepper
cummin
corriander
brown sugar.
marinate over night
I simply used self raising flour double floured let sit for a couple of hours to let flour bind.
then we smother with stupidly hot all natural wing sace and watch poor fools try to eat.
This year the Fiery Wing Challenge sauce will
be "Quadrophonic"
so hot it screamssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
will consist of Naga Morich, Trinidad Scorpions, Trinidad 7 pots, and Fataliis.
Gonna be a blast.......

looks good Mick...

That sauce sounds like it will jump off the table and slap you in the face just cause it can.....:lol:

Back